Oneonta Gorge Trail [CLOSED] is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bridal Veil, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,633 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

The Oneonta Falls are closed indefinitely due to the Eagle Creek Fire of 2017. Please check the link below for updates. https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/crgnsa/alerts-notices/?aid=41589 The Oneonta Gorge is a scenic hiking destination and botanical area in the Columbia River Gorge area on the outskirts of Portland, Oregon. Be prepared to navigate through logs, climb through rocks and wade in cold water as you follow along Oneonta Creek through the gorge. The views at the end are breathtaking, and the challenge makes the hike worth it. Ecology enthusiasts will also enjoy the variety of aquatic and woodland plants. Upper Oneonta Falls, Middle Oneonta Falls, Lower Oneonta Falls and Triple Falls are the four main waterfalls in the gorge. The trailhead is accessed in Oneonta just off the Historic Columbia River Highway.

This trail was amazingly fun. Beautiful and fun to hike through the water into the waterfall. Whole family loved it.

closed

This Was an amazing hike, sad that it’s closed now.

I read some people asking about hiking trails when they are closed and let me tell you. They have cameras. They see people going pasts the “trail closed” sign. You will get a fine. If it’s closed. I guarantee it’s dangerous. Landslides in the area have left many trails scotched by the fire even more dangerous now. Stay away until it’s safe.

One of the amazing hikes I had. I am so sad this trail is close due to fire. I feel so sad and angry sometimes since the fire started just because some teenagers started fire work in a middle of hot and dry summer.

closed

My family and I had the luck of visiting this trail in 2016 before the fire. I cried when I heard the fire had consumed this natural beauty. I was very thankful for the chance to see it before the fire.

my favorite hike ever! The entire hike is incredibly scenic, water fall and dip in the pool at the end make it all worth it

This is a fun trail! I hope it can open again soon! I have hiked it many times, first time I was pretty young, maybe 10 and younger kids were with me, you climb over a log jam and walk through the stream but over all it’s a easy hike for most ages.

closed

I saw some people asking if this trail could still be hiked even though it was closed. ANSWER: I have just come back from the location (July 2019). I talked with a park ranger about it and the issue is not if it can be done or not, the issue is the fine if they catch you: thousands of dollars. The ranger told me that the trail was closed even before the fire because things were getting out of control with its popularity and the environment was being damaged...

Thu May 16 2019

So bummed this trail is closed due to the Gorge fire. Loved hiking this in the summer.

Wed Apr 17 2019

has anyone tried to hike this despite it being closed ? please post a review if you do. I would really like to go this summer. yes I am aware of the dangers.

Mon Apr 15 2019

One of my favorite hikes. Closed due to the Eagle Creek Fire.

Fri Mar 08 2019

Hope it returns to it's former glory soon. Closed due to the Eagle Creek Fire.

Thu Jan 10 2019

I'm so sad that this trail is closed. I had some really amazing memories there.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Prepare to get wet! Fantastic hike along and in a creek. Beautiful scenery as you hike through a canyon, climb over a huge log jam and wade through the water to reach a cascading waterfall at the end of your hike. Highly recommend!

Mon Aug 06 2018

Trail Is Still Closed At This Time. The Historic Columbia River Highway is Closed Until Further Notice. This Includes Trails Between Bridal Veil Falls and Multnomah, and Trails Between Multnomah and Ainsworth State Park. The Road Is Only Open To State Troopers, Game and WildLife Patrolmen, and Residents That Live On That Road. Anyone Caught Trying To Hike Said Trails Are Fined. This Is All Due To The Bad Fire They Had Last Year And Several Told Me They Aren't Sure When It Should Be Open. One Trooper Told Me It's Looking Like It Will Be June 2019. :( That Means Oneonta George, Oneonta Falls, Horsetail Falls, Ponytail Falls, Larch Mountain Overlook, Fairy Falls, & Wahkeena Falls Are All Closed Until Further Notice. If You Are Looking For Alternatives, You Can Look Into Multnomah Falls & Trails, Latourell Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and Vista House. You Can Also Take A Drive To Ramona Falls.

Mon Jul 23 2018

Is the trail open ? I see a lot of recent reviews. We fly into Portland the 13th next month and this is number 1 on our list.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Went last year in a long overdue rating. Definitely go if it opens again!

Wed Jul 11 2018

The trail is closed as the logs and rocks have blocked access for walking, this is what we were told when asked at visitor center in Multnomah Falls. We didn't go any further to check but trusted that old guy.

Sat Jul 07 2018

My absolute favorite hike in the Gorge. Because of the easy access its nearly always obnoxiously crowded, but if you get there early (7-8am) you can usually get in to the waterfall before the hoards arrive. The log jam to start makes me feel like a kid again, clambering over obstacles and scooting up rocks on my butt. You will get wet on this hike, I recommend water shoes (not beach water shoes but hiking sandals, Keens or similar) as the entire gorge floor is rock covered. Absolutely stunning if you can get there before the crowds.

Thu Jun 21 2018

Is this open now?? I see some reviews recently, indicating that this is now open. I will be there week of July 4th. Thank you!

Sun Jun 17 2018

Absolutely amazing, the water can get pretty high and difficult to trek through but overall a spectacular experience

Mon Jun 04 2018

you would have to climb up and down a lot. you will also get wet to toward the end.

Wed Apr 11 2018

The Oneonta Falls are CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE due to the massive Columbia River Gorge fire of 2017. Please check the link below for updates. https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/crgnsa/alerts-notices/?aid=41589

Thu Mar 01 2018

does anyone know someone to contact for a reopen date of this trail?

Thu Jan 04 2018

is it closed?when will be open?

Fri Dec 29 2017

Fri Oct 27 2017

I wish I could give this 5 stars. The falls and the gorge are absolutely breathtaking. However, it is way too crowded. What makes you think everyone wants to listen to the rap music playing out of your portable speaker? It reverberates throughout the entire gorge. Did I also mention the stench of cigarette and weed smoke? Bottom line: If you want to party and socialize, come here during the warmer months. If you want to actually enjoy this place properly, I suggest coming here during winter.

Sat Oct 07 2017

Is closed we don't. Have access to go up.

Wed Sep 20 2017

My favorite hike of the trip! Climbing over the log jam in the beginning was like an obstacle course and was awesome! We weren't prepared for the water to be so deep in some places....turned around right before the first waterfall because we just did this trail on a whim and didn't bring towels or extra clothes. Definitely want to go back and do this one again though!