Ollala Simple Trail

Ollala Simple Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Toledo, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The loop that is marked out on the app is very poorly maintained and there are no trail markings. You WILL have to keep your gps on the entire time because, as stated before, there are a lot of intersections and things that look like actual trails that aren't that can get you really turned around if you don't pay close attention and once you start on the trail, you either have to finish it or come back the way you came. I got to a point of the trail that I was a little concerned it wasn't actually a trail anymore because of how overgrown it was and thought I could cut half way through and come back out the way I came because I didn't want to keep fighting off stray branches and fallen trees and bushes and spiderwebs the last 3 miles but I got very lost. The trail doesn't correlate with the map and will not connect you to the correct side of the reservoir so do not make my same mistake. It is extremely lightly trafficked and it could be days before someone comes along if you actually did get lost. It's also worth mentioning that the trail line on the app doesn't always follow what the map says is an actual trail.. I gave this trail 2 stars only for the fact that the reservoir is gorgeous and the trail directly parallel to it is pretty neat. Lastly, if you are a forager, you need a permit to remove any forest products.

Hike the section along the lake and found it quite enjoyable. Didn't have time for the entire trail.

needs some signage. don't start on the locked gate road, start closer to the lake and leave alltrails ON. did 4-5 miles, very little on the real trail.
I would come back to do the loop someday.

It was a nice hike and the head of the trail was easy to find. However, you have to pay attention to your GPS or it is easy to turn the wrong way. There are a number of different roads and trails that intersect. There wasn't much wildlife but it was a beautiful hike.

VERY poorly marked. We had to use GPS to find the trail to get out. The lake is beautiful and definitely the highlight of the hike. We ended up hiking over 7 miles due to getting off trail a few times.

Starts out nice and easy, turns into a logging road that is very lightly used and VERY poorly marked. Should bring water and snacks as well as be prepared to do some navigating.

The trail started very nice, easy to find and follow. About 2 miles in it turns to an old logging road instead of trail. Only went about 3 miles in before turning around due to time. My dog loved the hike, plenty of places for him to jump in the lake and paddle around! Next time I go back I will be bringing my kayak!

Nice hike didn't do the whole hike do to time. But great bring a backpack some drinks and snacks take yer time. Good for dog too. A few trees in the path but still easy to get around. Lots of people fishing on shore and boat.

NAKED ADVENTURERS, A 420 FRIENDLY NUDIST GROUP
This day was a little cooler and cloudy so I didn’t expect any hiking buddies this time. Expecting high 50’s and sun, I got low 50’s and overcast. Still with in my comfort zone. When I arrived there were 4 cars in the parking lot, 2 people fishing, and a group in their car with large clouds of smoke erupting from their cracked windows. So the trail was fairly deserted. Waited around a bit, see if anyone was going to show up, got use to the cold and smoked a pre-hike bowl. No one showed up, so off I went. Once I losing sight of the parking lot my shorts and shirt where stowed in my pack and the naked adventure began.
The hike started out as a double track trail, with an easy uphill grade which followed the reservoir. This soon turned into a signal track trail and dropped to the shore line and across an earth dam.
Started up a ridge keeping a good pace, still a little cold with the sun poking through the clouds. By the time I got to the top the ridge I no longer felt cold.
A wonderful thing starts to happen when you have no distractions, you’re naked in the forest and alone with your thoughts. Almost total silence except for your footsteps, the birds and the wind passing through the trees. No longer man invading nature but man in tune with nature. The cold in no longer a factor, you have gotten used to it or just numb by now.
Listening to the rhythm your foot wind passing through the trees. Bring your self to a state of self-meditation, self-awareness. Just see where your thoughts take you.
This how the rest of the hike went. Go down the ridge, go up the ridge stop look around, and take some pictures. Since I was by myself I did a little exploring turning a 6 mile hike into a 9 mile hike Go down the ridge, go up the ridge, exc.
I didn’t see anybody on the entire hike. When I reached the end of the trail, you have to fallow the road about a half mile to return to the parking lot. It’s now 4:30pm, everyone must be gone by now? Being naked for 4 hours, let’s see if I can get to the car without being seen? Not so lucky, and motor cycle and 2 cars all in succession spotted thrice. At least I arrived to a deserted parking lot.
Even though this was a solo hike, is was still a great hike.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Getting around the downed tree at the start of the trail was not too tough. I love the part of the trail that crosses the lake. Watch out for snakes in the tall grass (non venomous). It can be tricky to know which way to go and I ended up walking 6.88 miles instead of 6.2. The abandoned, half buried car is a little creepy, but the overall ambiance is peaceful. I did this hike in April and didn't see a soul. If you don't like walking uphill, this hike is not for you. The 6.88 (a wrong turn here or there) took me 3 hours. Have fun!

Sunday, March 06, 2016

At the beginning of the trail a tree has come down and taken out a foot bridge. You can get around it if you are willing to scramble a little. There are a lot of trails that branch off and it can be difficult to know where to go.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Looked like a nice short ride on a wintery wet day. Technically it's mostly easy double track. Some of the single track brought it up to moderate. As did some of the climbing was steep and sustained. Not a lot of views except at the top of one of the ridges. It was very helpful to have the All Trials GPS trail as I had to backtrack several times on the old logging roads. Credit to the Scouts who developed some of the single track trails. Took about 1.5 hours by bike.