Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge Trail

Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Portland, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a nice walk or mountain bike ride along a wetland full of birds with a return along the Willamette River. This is a great place to go bird watching. You will follow a path along the east side of a wetland area where you may see some Flycatchers or even ospreys that nest nearby. Once you get to the northern parking area you will turn around and then return via the beautiful Springwater bike trail.

Great trail in the middle of the metro area!

Dry and no mud today. Some cool birds in the swamp.

3 bald eagles and an osprey!

Not what I was use to. This is definitely an inner city “nature” hike. Over half of the view was of graffiti on old abandoned looking buildings.

Not a bad trail. Pretty easy, good for beginners.

Magical! I wish it were closer to the water, though. Also the amount of party trash and evidence of/presence of vagrants was unsettling. I wish the loop didn’t include the bike path, and I wish you could get back to the parking lot without totally retracing. (Plus, that hill is killer when you’re tired.)

Easy hike, did it with a 60 year old smoker. She had a rough time but completed it!

First time there. Really perfect for me as I live in Milwaukie so not to far.
Love the well maintained trails and no campers along the way. Its my new favorite spot!!! Thanks to all the volunteers to keep it ideal!!

Great trail, a lot to see. Just be aware of the homeless encampments in the bushes to the right, opposite side of the water. Wear mosquito repellent!!!

Beautiful wildlife sites. It felt like a story book marsh. Even went on a rainy day and so happy I chose to be outside here. Loved the juxtaposition of the buildings behind the trees. Very restorative.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Excellent close in hike.

Monday, December 12, 2016

I had a lovely solo hike here on a quiet Sunday in December. The trail was muddy in spots due to recent rains/snow, and the wetlands were high with water! Plenty of squirrels and ducks sighted. The route started in Sellwood to the south, went clockwise around the lake and all the way up to near McLoughlin Blvd and then back along the bluff trail. Gorgeous views of the Willamette along the Springwater trail, and the view of Oaks Park across the lake in the afternoon is magical. Even the rather ominous Portland Mausoleum has a friendly look when viewed from the Bluff trail. I highly recommend this hike.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

This was our second time giving this trail a try, as last time we took a wrong turn, and ended up off the populated part of the trail, before we got too thick into the homeless camps, we decided to turn around and take the paved trail to Sellwood. I think trail markers, and/or a trail map would be a wonderful investment. This time around was nice, lots of Squirrels running about. We definitely want to give this a go one more time when the wetlands are a little more wet, hopefully after the leaf fall, we'll get to see more wildlife. Definitely worth the walk!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Nice trail, unfortunately one part was permanently closed.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Loved it!

Saturday, July 09, 2016

This is a beautiful trail with a lot of wildlife. It is also good for bike riding at.

Friday, April 08, 2016

peaceful retreat, easily accessible, most people friendly towards well behaved off leashed dogs

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Absolutely beautiful in the spring. Relatively low activity on week days.

Friday, November 20, 2015

This is close to home so I've been running here everyday. Through the refuse to the 40 mile loop (not sure what that part is called). It's awesome having places like this in the city. I LOVE PDX.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Amazing place right in the city. Great for a short afternoon hike. Perfect opportunity for bird and other wildlife watching.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Great little hike right off Milwaukie Ave. We heard many birds and lots of splashing. We couldn't tell if they were beaver, nutria or muskrats because we forgot our binoculars. The trail was muddy in a couple spots, so be sure to wear good shoes and bring your binoculars for up close and personal viewing of the wildlife.

Friday, May 11, 2012

This oasis right in the city is a great place to grab a quick trail run. It's scenic but easily accessible and offers a place for hikers, runners, and bikers alike.