Oak Creek to Dimple Hill [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(59)
Corvallis, Oregon

Oak Creek to Dimple Hill is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Corvallis, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 987 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Logging road up to the top of Dimple Hill. This is a more gradual route up to the top of Dimple. Once near the top, you meet up with a single track trail and it's only a short bit at that point. This is an out and back from Oak Creek. About a 30-35 min. climb running, but goes a lot faster on the way down! A great route to Dimple and not as muddy as other trails. Just like much of the McDonald forest, you are surrounded by old growth, mossy trees, ferns and wildlife along the way. Especially in the winter the streams are running high with water.

*trespassing is required to follow this trail* two years ago, I took this path to Dimple Hill from Oak Creek, no problem. yesterday, we arrived and oddly didn't see this trail on the official forest map. odd. but i proceeded anyway b/c I knew the trail from two years ago. then after 1 mile and much of a climb, we reach "no trespassing" signs... so both of the trails that go to dimple hill require you to trespass. we turned back and tried to follow the (more boring) logging road, but it was *way longer*. go to dimple hill from dan's trail, not from here.

Didn’t get to hike, closed because of virus

This trail felt pretty rough to follow as there were not a lot of signs or easy to find signs. It was super steep right at the end too but was worth it!

Super steep at the top!

private property

Enjoyed trail much more this second time. Very muddy most of it, steep and muddy, sucked ... but found the weaving crossing trails easier this time, and lovely.

Trail hard to find, mix of muddy shoots and logging roads, need app to follow trail turns. Half through clear cut. Good elev. for mileage.

This trail was good. The trail itself was a bit more than we expected. A decent portion of it was more or less a mountain biking trail. The last portion near the top is a near vertical hill climb and was unexpected. Overall it was a beautiful hike but tougher than we expected.

Way too much poison oak, trail overgrown, couldn’t reach dimple hill.

recorded Oak Creek to Dimple Hill

Wed Jun 05 2019

Definitely more of a moderate-difficult hike but not a very long hike and very worth while for the view at the top. Bring some good hiking shoes as the steep areas can be slippery.

Wed Jun 05 2019

Steep! Both ways, up and down, were tough. Beautiful spring foliage.

Fri Mar 22 2019

Very gentle climb to Dimple and the view from the top is amazing and worth it.

Wed Jan 16 2019

It was very steep. To get to the top you literally go straight up. Be careful when muddy. It was a bit difficult to find the trail. There are many different trails! Use the map!! Worth it getting to the top! Wonderful very.

Tue Nov 06 2018

It was hard finding the actual trailhead if you don’t use the app. I absolutely loved the hike! Such a good workout and my dog loved it as well. I try to go places that allow dogs off leash and it was a perfect trail for that. Another thing that confused me was the satellite on the app. I wasn’t sure if I was going the right way so I kept asking people who passed by if I was going the right way; finally one person seemed to know what I was talking about

Sun Sep 02 2018

Very nice hike with a steep.incline but such an amazing view.

Sat Aug 25 2018

This was a bueatiful trail for me and my dog. We took the shorter option since it was my first time on this trail. I only wish the map had the you are here pointer so I could navigate myself better (I got directions for the shorter route from another hiker).

Fri Jun 15 2018

We ended up going the up hill route and it was beautiful and painful. Great work out. Follow the more worn path, instead of what Alltrails suggests. It will be a more useful climb that way.

Tue Jun 05 2018

great trail. huff and puff at the top.

Thu Mar 29 2018

amazing forest. nothing beat being in between the trees with snow all around. Sure made for a fun trip up that steep hill full of snow.

Mon Jan 01 2018

Great view but hard trail We took 50 minutes to get to the top If we took an easier trail, we will need more time

Sat Dec 02 2017

Another beautiful woodsy hike ❤️

Wed Jun 07 2017

Beautiful veiw from the top of Dimple hill.

Fri Aug 12 2016

Wonderful hike. Ideal for running. Great view on top. Been doing this route for 10 years and never run into a problematic dog that needed to be Mace'd, as suggested.

Wed Apr 27 2016

Super easy, and pretty! Kind of confusing on which road to take once you start walking, but it all ends up at the same spot!

Thu Oct 17 2013

As the Overview states, this is a much-used road to the top of Dimple HIll. It's longer than Patterson so it's a bit more challenging on foot and on bike, and there are some steep sections. It's just a nice longer hike for some great views most of the year when it's not raining. This is a great hike to do in the middle of summer when it's hot in the valley and you want to get away from the sun and heat. The trees provide shade and cool the air a lot. In the spring, this is where we hike to see small waterfalls and wildflowers, esp. orchids. In the fall is't nice because there are lots of maple losing their leaves so the walk is magical. Caution: LOTS of people walk with dogs off leash and many of the dogs are NOT well mannered. If your dog does not do well around such dogs be prepared to fend off nosey dogs or even to defend your dog with your feet or Mace. There are plenty of dog owners with fewer wits than their dogs and many end up on this road. Also, this is a favorite cross bike and mtn. bike road so beware of fast bikes descending.