North Umpqua Trail: Panther Segment

North Umpqua Trail: Panther Segment is a 9.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idleyld Park, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Roseburg: Travel east on Highway 138, 23 miles past the North Umpqua Ranger Station, and cross the Mott Bridge to the Fisherman's Parking Lot at the Steamboat Work Center. Trail begins here.

Beautiful scenery and a decent trail. For mountain biking this trail Should be rated difficult Saw three other cyclists and we all had wrecked off the trail.

My favorite section so far. So the trail head sign here says the trail is "5 Miles" however, I GPS it at 4.6 Miles. I walked/jogged this section up to the next trail head and back down to the Mott Bridge, GPS said 9.3 Miles total, I think the distance measurement in the description is based around "Out and Back", when this trail is actually a point to point, with the Mott Section downstream and the Calf section up stream. Great tree cover, good views, nice trail condition.

Wonderful views, lush forest walk on edge of river. Not difficult. We walked for 30 mins in and out and didn’t see anyone. Recommend!

Sunday, May 01, 2016

I hiked about half of this section from the Mott Trailhead. Beautiful trail and I LOVE the North Umpqua!

Monday, June 30, 2014

We hiked this segment in a downstream direction. The first two thirds of the trek has the trail cut high above the river into a steep mountainside. We could hear the river below but could never see it. The lush vegetation and the dense tree cover masked how steep a drop off it was off the trail to the river far below. Steep basalt cliffs rising above on the uphill side of the trail were quite spectacular. The last third of the hike dropped us down near river's edge and to a flatter terrain. A bright sunny day combined with the lush overhead canopy created both warm, bright sections of the trail and shaded, cool segments.

Monday, February 11, 2013

We only did this segment of the North Umpqua, but hope to come back to do the entire trail. It's pretty, with some rocks to climb around on. -But I just wasn't blown away by the scenery. Pretty standard river hike, friendly to all skill levels. We didn't see anyone else, there's a bonus!