North Umpqua Trail: Maidu Segment

North Umpqua Trail: Maidu Segment is a 20 mile out and back trail located near Clearwater, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 20.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,086 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Roseburg: Travel east on Highway 138 to Forest Service Road #60, the Windigo Pass Road. Follow this 4.5 miles and turn right onto FS Road 6000-958, the Kelsay Valley Road. The trailhead is at the end of the road, 1.5 miles). North Umpqua Trail is accessed by following the Windigo Pass Trail #1412 for 0.1 miles and then Trail #1412A for 0.2 miles.

I loved this hike. ❤️ it was challenging for me to do with an overnight pack & I didn’t plan for the night to be as cool as it was. 1800 ft elevation gain with 1400 of it in three miles and it was a gradual 1400 ft incline. The trail was great and well marked. Water at 3, 6, & 8 mile marks before getting to Maidu. Lots of mushrooms, although I don’t know what types (end of Aug). I would love to stay at Lucille Lake another time but will have to figure out the weight and warmth factor first. The hike down went so easy. I loved the variety of scenes/trees/water scapes. . Just gorgeous ❤️ Hiked in, slept, hiked out. I have now completed the North Umpqua Trail!! Section by section over three summers.

This hike was beautiful. You could see glimpses of different mountains through the trees after you work your way up in elevation. I basically had the trail to myself, too.

Saturday, June 09, 2018