North Fork Catherine Creek Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(6)
Wallowa Whitman National Forest

North Fork Catherine Creek Trail [CLOSED] is a 9.7 mile out and back trail located near Union, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips.

Distance: 9.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,584 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

closed

Great trail even though it may be closed due to the virus it is not signed. So I put on my full pack just in case and started the hike. At about 1.8 miles there is a bridge that puts the trail on the north side of the hill. I went just a bit further but it was obvious that it would be 100 percent snow till the meadow. I decided to turn around and go back. Still about 50 snow and bare ground on the trail back. Not much postholing this time so better walking. Another 2 weeks and I will try again. Easy well graded trail

Trail is in great shape - meadow at end is very pleasant. There’s a cool little cabin about .5 mile past end of recorded route

Sat May 04 2019

We headed to this area because of late snow in North Idaho area. There was still pockets of three to four feet of snow between mile 2 and 3. After that it looked like the snow depth increased as the incline increased. We found a nice spot off the trail for my hammock and my buddy’s tent bivy. We slept well with the sound of the creek. The trail isn’t difficult at all and the incline and declines on the section we did were minimal. I plan to come back in the fall and make it back to the meadow and river for a three-day trip.

Sun Nov 11 2018

Needed a hike close to the house to take the grandsons on. I knew we wouldn't be able to hike the whole trail but I wanted to do what we could. We didn't arrive until 12:45 so that was a strike against us. We received our first snow last night but we were able to get to the trailhead with no problems. It took us an hour to get to the bridge and it had started snowing again so I decided to turn back. Besides the trail was going back uphill...... This is a nice rough trail with gorgeous scenery.

Sat Sep 15 2018