Nels Rogers-University Falls Loop Trail

Nels Rogers-University Falls Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gales Creek, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I was looking for a mid-length hike to go on to warm up before going on a multi-day later this week. This was it.

The trail was well maintained with the worst being some sections that had become narrow due to the foliage. One nice thing (if you have a water filtration/purification system) is that about 1/4 of the trail is along a stream.

For the most part it's a beautiful hike. I could have done without going through the clear-cut sections of the forest, heating gun shots (but he a shooting range in the OHV area???) and the intermittent noise from the nearby OHVs (at one point I smelt the exhaust from one as it passed by on a neighboring trail).

One thing to note: I have service through Sprint and I did not have coverage while on the trail. Download your maps before you leave or bring a map and a compass.

This was a good hike, with lots of hilly area to get to the falls! The falls are very pretty and are worth the hike, despite the hike being long! Overall good hike.

This was a beautiful hike, but the 8 mile loop is tricky to follow because the trails are not always marked well. Definitely download or map it beforehand because there is no phone service. A note- there are tons of ATV/motorcycle trails that cross the paths. It wasn't too bad, but it can be noisy. There are a few mountain bikers sharing the trail, but we didn't see any hikers on the loop trails. I don't think the entire loop is a kid friendly hike.

definitely a cool hike. Lots of great views and cool pictures to be taken. would hike again. loved it.

Scenic hike that is very pretty with surroundings that constantly change keeping the hike interesting. Mixture of inclines and declines.

As we enter the summer months and everyone flocks to the coast or the gorge for hiking and camping, the Gales Creek/Wilson River area is a great hidden gem.

This hike is squarely moderate - not too hard, not too easy. Varied terrain and sights, and the waterfall is totally worth it!

I wasn't particularly bothered by the gunshots or motorcycles/ATV's. Personally it's a good reminder that Portland is a bubble and that people in other parts of our state like to do fun things like ride in the mud and shoot guns. Also, if you go early enough in the day (we started before 9am), you'll beat most of those folks anyway.

The hike is mostly cleared. Some fallen tree limbs and some mud here & there but nothing crazy.

It's so noisy though. The gun ranges and motor vehicles make this trail not really great for a peaceful outing. Also had a guy on a motor bike driving on the walking trails.

Also, there are no mile markers or 'you are here' signs on the map and we kept worrying we were not walking on the right trail.

Joe K. and I had pretty much the same experience.

The trail was fine... still muddy in some spots, but mostly fine. It looks like people have been working to clear it.

It looks like most do it clockwise, we did too. The Eastern portion is interesting and varied terrain, but the frequent road crossings bring a combination of gun range folks and OHV users. I get it... I like to shoot guns and go Jeepin, but the peace of this trail is interrupted by it constantly. We also commented (like Joe K) that it felt like entering a war zone at times,

The falls are nice, and we enjoyed a couple of beers and a snack we packed (in and out). If we did it again we would probably just hike the peaceful Western Portion out and back.

As an MTB trail this looked like lots of fun, but ends with a long ascent if you ride clockwise. I would try it, but it's a bit higher singletrack than I'm really used to. Maybe someday. We didn't encounter a single person going the other way.

The trail was in perfect condition (as trails go)... mud is mostly dried up and fallen trees have been cleared.

It was a fairly decent hike through very interesting terrain cutting across historically interesting wagon roads and rail beds. The only major downside was twofold: the dirt bikes are really noisy, and there must've been 3 or 4 impromptu firing ranges folks had set up on either side of Nels Rogers trail -- it sounded like a war zone. I thought to myself I could've had a more peaceful trek through the wilderness if I had gone to Forest Park instead.

Once we made it past University Falls, however, there were no more dirt bikes or gunfire for the next 3 miles or so. That last section on the Gravelle Bros. Trail and the perfect weather made the hike worth it.

Trail is in horrible shape due to horses leaving deep ruts and holes in the mud

We did the 8.1 mile loop 3/16/2017. The trail is in horrible shape. There were so many time it was nearly impossible to keep going. The amount of fallen limbs and trees is enormous. Lots of snow and very wet with puddle that were impossible to avoid. It should be closed until it can be cleaned up and maintained. We were the only ones on it hiking.