Nels Rogers-University Falls Loop Trail

Nels Rogers-University Falls Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gales Creek, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Scenic hike that is very pretty with surroundings that constantly change keeping the hike interesting. Mixture of inclines and declines.

As we enter the summer months and everyone flocks to the coast or the gorge for hiking and camping, the Gales Creek/Wilson River area is a great hidden gem.

This hike is squarely moderate - not too hard, not too easy. Varied terrain and sights, and the waterfall is totally worth it!

I wasn't particularly bothered by the gunshots or motorcycles/ATV's. Personally it's a good reminder that Portland is a bubble and that people in other parts of our state like to do fun things like ride in the mud and shoot guns. Also, if you go early enough in the day (we started before 9am), you'll beat most of those folks anyway.

The hike is mostly cleared. Some fallen tree limbs and some mud here & there but nothing crazy.

It's so noisy though. The gun ranges and motor vehicles make this trail not really great for a peaceful outing. Also had a guy on a motor bike driving on the walking trails.

Also, there are no mile markers or 'you are here' signs on the map and we kept worrying we were not walking on the right trail.

Joe K. and I had pretty much the same experience.

The trail was fine... still muddy in some spots, but mostly fine. It looks like people have been working to clear it.

It looks like most do it clockwise, we did too. The Eastern portion is interesting and varied terrain, but the frequent road crossings bring a combination of gun range folks and OHV users. I get it... I like to shoot guns and go Jeepin, but the peace of this trail is interrupted by it constantly. We also commented (like Joe K) that it felt like entering a war zone at times,

The falls are nice, and we enjoyed a couple of beers and a snack we packed (in and out). If we did it again we would probably just hike the peaceful Western Portion out and back.

As an MTB trail this looked like lots of fun, but ends with a long ascent if you ride clockwise. I would try it, but it's a bit higher singletrack than I'm really used to. Maybe someday. We didn't encounter a single person going the other way.

The trail was in perfect condition (as trails go)... mud is mostly dried up and fallen trees have been cleared.

It was a fairly decent hike through very interesting terrain cutting across historically interesting wagon roads and rail beds. The only major downside was twofold: the dirt bikes are really noisy, and there must've been 3 or 4 impromptu firing ranges folks had set up on either side of Nels Rogers trail -- it sounded like a war zone. I thought to myself I could've had a more peaceful trek through the wilderness if I had gone to Forest Park instead.

Once we made it past University Falls, however, there were no more dirt bikes or gunfire for the next 3 miles or so. That last section on the Gravelle Bros. Trail and the perfect weather made the hike worth it.

Trail is in horrible shape due to horses leaving deep ruts and holes in the mud

We did the 8.1 mile loop 3/16/2017. The trail is in horrible shape. There were so many time it was nearly impossible to keep going. The amount of fallen limbs and trees is enormous. Lots of snow and very wet with puddle that were impossible to avoid. It should be closed until it can be cleaned up and maintained. We were the only ones on it hiking.

beautiful scenery with an easy hike

We started from the university falls trailhead. nice and easy hike for the kids. the one downside is the trail isn't marked well and with a bunch of kiddos that can be confusing at times. The kids had fun at the falls and fun father down playing in the creek.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Rogers trailhead was taped off. Had to find the Gravelle Brothers Trailhead (which was by the entrance off highway 6). The hike was nice because my buddy and I were the only ones on it. Keep in mind we hiked on a Wednesday. The trail was woodsy and there was an awesome bridge going across the stream. Half the trail was through the logging area so clear cut garbage was not a pretty site. Once we got to the falls, it was a perfect spot for lunch. Very secluded. Can hear the dirt bikers on the roads around you at the falls. It is 5 miles round trip this way.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Was a great hike on Gravelle Brothers trail, but large portions of Nels-Rogers trail were closed due to logging.