Neahkahnie Mountain (Northern Approach)

Neahkahnie Mountain (Northern Approach) is a 8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Nehalem, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1991 feet

beach

old growth

Incredible! But, busy.

I would agree that it’s more moderate than hard, but I’m glad I had the AllTrails map to refer to when switchbacks became a bit confusing (the white trail markers did help). I parked at Oswald West - South and headed west, in the direction of the Suspension bridge (this took some guess work, as the map at the trailhead wasn’t too informative). All in all, it was a great trail run for my dog and I—definitely worth the drive from Portland!

On a Wednesday we only saw 3 other people, which was great. Turned around at Highway 101, but stopped to see Devil's Cauldron Overlook and to trek Elk Trail. It's nice that the beach is so close to the trailhead - there is a short path to it after you cross the suspension bridge.

Great hike, more like moderate than hard.

A wonderfully unique view from the top and lovely tall trees along the way.

Nice trail. Lots of roots that tried to trip me all day. View from the top is incredible. More traffic than I was expecting, but folks were great and mindful of fellow hikers and Mother Earth. I saw one piece of a candy wrapper on the ground and of course picked it up. Nice to see such a clean trail. Make sure to go on a clear day.

Completed on 8/26 on a hot sunny day
A lot of overgrowth on the first mile starting from North Trailhead. Moderately steep climb for most of the trail up to the summit. A lot of roots and loose dirt on trail but still safe. You can scramble up the peak near the end or take a longer less steep trail around to the top. Great views and one of the best coast trails I've been on. The hike down to the South Trailhead was quick. less overgrown, and less exposed to sun. I took the highway from South Trailhead to North Trailhead. There is a pedestrian walkway for most of the walk but a section with no walkway that can be somewhat sketchy since your so close to the road.

Amazing trail! Runnable but challenging, with a short scramble to the micro summit at the end. Lush and Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Beautiful hike!

Great hike. Beautiful scenes along the way and amazing views at the top. Took 3 dogs on the hike and they had no problem with the terrain. Not really muddy and there were a couple fallen trees along the path but they were easy to get around. Took us about 4 hours but we spent a long time at the top.

The trail head from the northwest side (highway) starts out easy enough but if you read the comments they are correct, fallen trees have obstructed the path and many hikers including us ended up going off the path. USE THIS APP to stay on course. I would use the south side trail which better maintained.

The trail started out quite nicely although it is difficult to locate the trail head as there is very little signage. The trail itself is in terrible condition and is poorly marked. There are numerous spurs that hikers have started and downed trees that need to be cleared. We lost the primary trail and ended up on what appeared to be a well traveled path. This eventually dwindled into the ferns. I would suggest going with someone who knows the trail, you might have better luck.

Agree with Melinda. Hiked north to south loop (took 101 back to car) on Monday. Had a great time but lots of mud and puddles. Boots would have been nice. And I got off trail at some point. Had to scramble up through jungle to find it again. Summit view is awesome.

Did this yesterday, rainy and muddy. At about mile 2 of the trail the path was hard to identify. We felt it was a moderate level hike, the most challenges were the condition of the trail, not necessarily the hike itself.

Great rainy day hike-the trees provide a fair amount of coverage. It was windy at the top! Overall, the trail is pretty well maintained and it's a thigh burner.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

We stopped near the top of Neahkahnie Mountain on the road with some dizzying views, then parked down at West Oswald Park and hiked to Short Sands Beach and back. Beautiful area, next time will hike to Cape Falcon.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

The trailhead-
Parking was easily accessible. Trailhead easy to find.

The trail-
The hike itself was moderate. The conditions of the trail was a different story. Storms seem to have snapped several trees, leaving the trail confusing. We got lost 2 times, attempting to pass large fallen trees in the path. Note: if there is a fallen tree in the path, don't walk around it. Check to see if the tree was intentionally left there to guide you away. Both times we discovered that the trail actually continued in a switchback form above, but the path was washed out. You'll need to get a little clever in your methods for getting up to the trail, but if you don't mind fern whacking, it's doable. Being winter time, it's also pretty muddy so be prepared.

The options-
I would recommend the north trail, starting at short sands. You get both close up views of the beach and a mountain view. While both south and north trails appear to spend almost the entire hike in a wooded area with no views, the south trail is much longer.

Overall-
Good workout, good view. Cape Falcon hike is a better option if you want more ocean scenery.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Absolutely Amazing!! Plenty of trails n a beautiful waterfall on the north end of Short Sand Beach!

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

It's a beautiful trail! Up to Cape falcon, after that point it needs a little, just a little maintenance.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Awesome Views Awesome Waves Awesome Camping

Sunday, January 31, 2016

The best views of any coast I've ever witnessed. If you're in the area, this trail is a must!

Thursday, November 13, 2014

This was a great hike. The beginning is a bit boring but then turns into a beautiful wooded forest with ferns and tall trees. There is a bit of a false summit where a road runs. Keep following the trail and it continues just below the ridge. The trail becomes a bit rougher and starts going up. The view is amazing and well worth the hike. I took me, my wife and four kids (youngest is five) approximately an hour and a half to get to the top. Enjoy!

Monday, July 28, 2014

Nice hike. The beach at Oswald West is one of my favorite places for tidepooling.

Monday, July 08, 2013

Saw a bald eagle here. Pretty strenuous at times. Nice view of the coast and the Cascades. Unfortunately, you also have a view clear-cuts... :(

Saturday, May 04, 2013

For additional miles, we opted to start the hike at Oswald West trailhead. Overall, the trails are in fair condition. At times, especially near the summit, trail demarcation is spotty. A short, perhaps 30 yard scramble up rocks is required to reach the ridge line and views.

Note: one must cross Hwy 101 so beware of traffic.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Amazing hike. Scenery changing all the time with an incredible near 360 degree view at the top

surfing
Friday, March 09, 2012

I can't believe that no one has reviewed this yet. Its such a beautiful hike among the Sitka Spruce along the beach and cape. The hike is a classic you will always favor, but the reason I would go there is the surfing. Great place to surf!!! I camped there once and it was cool because the trees had amazing roots outstretching into your camp space, but aside from that I am not a fan of campgrounds where you are right next to each other.