Natural Rock Arch Trail

Natural Rock Arch Trail is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lyons, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A short but steep .5 mile downhill hike to a 50' rock arch and a shallow cave behind the arch. When people think of arches they think of the Southwest, however Oregon has a few too. This hike is only 1 mile round trip with beauitful vistas but it is a STEEP downhill hike so you have to be fit to do the hike back up to the trailhead, the key, take your time back. This is a hike that you do not want to underestimate it based on the distance, bring water, snacks, a hiking stick and do not forget you camera! Also if you walk under the arch and around the edge of the cliff you will find a short cave in the rocks.

Beautiful arch and views at the end of a very steep trail. Wasn't as hard getting back up the trail as I thought it would be, but it does get steeper as you get closer to the arch. Very enjoyable day!

Great, quick hike. Took my 2 pre-teens but would not recommend for kids younger than 10. Very steep so I would recommend poles or a hiking stick.

perfect! short, sweet and ending is fabulous. No litter and no people. Just don't drive too far. Trail is about 1/2 hour from main road. Big turn out. Very small metal sign at trail head.

GPS and signs made it easy to find the trail head. The arch was larger that we expected. The wild flowers were also amazing!

I've done this hike before. very cool spot, trail head is marked by a small brown plastic stake at the curve in Rd. where google maps will take you right to. last i remembered had no trouble finding it, tried taking my parents up there on 6/16/18 and there was some downed logs laying across the Rd. blocking access

Awesome drive up, the hike down is steep but doable, it’s the hike back up that you may underestimate. Confusing forks on the road up but there are signs if you pay attention

I would definitely recommend hiking boots for this trail. Steepest hike I've been on but it was worth the view. Trailhead is a little hard to find but its about 30 feet back down the road on your left. Would definitely do this hike again.

Monday, July 24, 2017

This wasn't as much of a hike, as it was a climb. The trail was under a mile.. short, but a great leg workout. The views were spectacular! This was a fun area to do exploring. I'd highly recommend hiking boots. I wore a running shoe.. not exactly good traction. A lot of loose rocks. I didn't get to climb to the top of the rock I wanted, but next time!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Steep hike down and great workout coming back up. Followed the navigation all the way up the gravel road and followed the road signs, no one else on the road or trail. Went off to explore the cave and to get pictures on the rock, difficult at times trying to balance and not slide down off the trail. Wildflowers were in full bloom too! Wanting to come back with some low clouds throughout the hills, able to hear and clearly see the waterfalls across the canyon on the other hills.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

A little hard to find- several of the signs on the gravel road were missing. Were coming from Salem so a bit of a drive for such a short hike. Didn't really feel worth it.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Short but hard hike that is worth the gorgeous payoff. It is very steep down to the arch, and there were spots of snow still. So it is a bit dangerous as it's very slick. Also, the road to the trailhead was impassable because of snow about 1.5 miles down the mountain. We pulled off to the side of the road and hiked (through the snow) to the trailhead. Also to note that we saw cougar tracks.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Quick easy out and back. Not to hard to find trail head because there are ton of signs and forest service 1/2 mile signs. Also when we went today there was pretty neat waterfall that I checked out on the way back.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

The road to get there was gravel for about 5 miles and pretty steep in spots, but my toyota echo made it fine. The hike was quick and steep. I went with my kids age 2 and 10. I carried my 2 year old most of the way. The trail is downhill from the parking spot and goes thru about a dozen switchbacks till you arrive at the arch. We did the hike on a rainy day and could only see about 50 feet past the rocks. Beautiful even in the rain.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Couldn't find the trail, which was disappointing. I felt uncomfortable taking my van on the small roads that were overgrown with grass - don't know if I was even on the right track because maps stopped working with no service.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

We hiked on June 7th 2015 weather was great and nobody was on the trail. Finding the trail head can be a little tricky. About 6.5 miles off hwy 22 just past mile marker 37. Many Y's on the dirt road so watch for the signs to trail head. Trail is pretty steep but in good condition, tons of wild flowers and the arch is pretty cool.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The trailhead can be easy to miss, so if you get to the Rocky Top TH, you've gone too far.

It's a moderate descent down the trail to the arch, with (usually) excellent views. We were completely socked in by clouds and light rain, but the arch is pretty amazing, and surprising unspoiled given it's easy of access..

Monday, October 27, 2014

Great hike! very steep on the way back up though.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Great hike. First time for me, Mom, and my kids and nephew. Difficulty was only in ensuring the 4-year-old and two 6-year-olds didn't tumble down the mountain. Mom (60 years young) did well, too. Recommended for the views and the beauty in the rock arch. Explore the area more if you can.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

We enjoyed the hike. It was a little scary with the kids but they did well. Beautiful views!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Well I never knew of this place until I searched the Map part of this app. Today I and 2 other got blocked by snow about 1 mile from the trailhead. But it was worth the extra hike. What an amazing formation of erosion. I was so scarred standing in the arch way. You can clearly see rocks that want to drop on your head. Be sure to see the caves on the North side and if you have time hike up to the top of the Arch rock. You can get right above it. But only if you are experienced. Very difficult hiking. Bring a gun. Cat tracks everywhere plus found WOLF scat. If this was Wolf it's waaaaaay to close to people.

Monday, July 03, 2017