Natural Bridges Cove - North Island Viewpoint (China Beach) Trail

Natural Bridges Cove - North Island Viewpoint (China Beach) Trail is a 0.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Brookings, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Absolutely stunning. BUT, I would not rate this as easy. To get to the top of the arch was tricky, the trail is dusty which makes it slippery, there are lots of roots sticking out that can trip you up. The trail is narrow with no protective barrier on the side that leads to quite a drop. There were frequently broken trees over the path that we had to climb over. We are fit so it wasn’t too hard but my parents had to stop before we could reach the end. I wouldn’t recommend this for small children either.
That said the views were stunning.

went and hiked around this area back in April of 2018. didn't get onto the bridge like I wanted, but still something to see.

Great trail!

scenic driving

Absolutely love this one! Pictures do not do this place justice! Definitely worth the drive down from Washington!

What an amazing place to go hiking. The view is breathtaking. Definitely going back someday.

Beautiful views!! The only thing I will say is for an amateur, like myself, it was very easy to veer off the trail....I’m not sure exactly what trails I was hiking but they were in the area and gorg! The kids (5&9) enjoyed the quick hike and views.

Beautiful and a must see. Go when it’s not busy. Plan to stop at all the viewpoints or even better walk the coast trail between them.

This is a beautiful trail along the beautiful Oregon coast - definitely worth your time. The trail itself is narrow - not difficult but if it had been raining within the last few days the mud will make it difficult and a little risky to traverse if you don’t have good balance. Also, I’ll say that while there are markers on the trail, they are very easy to miss and with so many offshoots of the trail that lead to great viewpoints that you will want to take, I can see people getting lost easily. Pay close attention or download the offline map. Finally, while this listing states it’s great March through October I would recommend late March if March at all - while it’s beautiful in winter there is a lot of leafless trees that in certain would make the trail even more breathtaking if viewed when spring has sprung. April through October would be the best time to partake IMO.

Going south on the Oregon Coast trail from the Thunder Rock Cove pullout,the trail goes through forrest.At Natural Bridges there is a nice view.Continuing south it comes to open area above a cove.Further south the trail goes to another view area before dropping down to beautiful China Beach.

Going north from the Natural Bridge parking area the Oregon Coast trail goes through forrest,reaching the Thunder Rock Cove parking area shortly.In that stretch a side trail goes down to a view.

From the Natural Bridge viewpoint,the Oregon Coast trail continues south through forrest,then a opening above a cove.More trees and another parking area/viewpoint.South of that viewpoint area the Oregon Coast trail goes down to the north end of beautiful China Beach.

The Oregon Coast trail goes north(and south)from the Thunder Rock pull off.Going north the trail forks.Either way will go to Secret Beach,but going left at that fork goes down to Thunder Rock Cove and some very beautiful views before it rejoins and goes north to Secret Beach and other points to the north.

This place was unbelievable

I'll have to do this one again. I couldn't figure out the trail. I saw that it's the one to the right of the parking lot, but then it just brings you to another parking lot. I saw a turn and it didn't look like it went anywhere. So I didn't get to see too many views. But what I got to see was still beautiful.

Go right at the parking lot. Beautiful!

WATCH OUT FOR POISON OAK! Hiked around here and Secret Beach and got into lots of poison oak. Look it up and be familiar with it. Serious stuff!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Really easy hike, nice view!

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

The bridges view is literally 100 feet from your car. It is gorgeous.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Beautiful it's just so much to take in... it's immense!

Saturday, April 08, 2017

This often bypassed gem is one of Southern Oregon's finest state parks, esp. the cove. South of the cove, you can beat back the bushes (unless they've been cut) and find headlands where you can sit and have lunch or just enjoy the spectacular view. I've hiked this park many times of 40 years.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Short and sweet. Only went to the first look out. Was foggy for us but it was still beautiful.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Nice little walk. I've never done it without doing some of the trails north or south. Great to go in there and hike to Arch rock.

Friday, May 27, 2016

We did this hike a while back and it was just beautiful!

Sunday, May 08, 2016

We didn't get the chance to take much of a hike as the trail down to the bridges were closed. There are birds nesting so who knows when that trail will be opened. It was beautiful views from what we Did get to see.

Saturday, April 04, 2015

Great views beautiful

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Enjoyed this trail a lot! Great views of the ocean, beaches and all the coast has to offer. We took our dog, and he did great, the beach was his favorite part! We didn't go down the trail to the arches as it was fenced & closed due to dangerous conditions according to signs.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Great views of the ocean and other rock formations.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Fabulous views of rock formations along the southern Oregon coast.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

One of my favorite Oregon Coast spots, the biggest problem in this area is getting the awesome views without the fog! Park at the natural bridge tunout where you will find the trailhead at the southend of the parking lot. When you take the trail down toward the arches if you chose to stay left and go down the steep trail to the arch be forwarned the crossing of the arch is harder then it looks from above espiecially if it's cold and wet (like all the time) and the sea below you looks angry! I wouldn't suggest crossing the arch but many braver ones have! If you follow the well traveled trail South it will take you to China Beach another beautiful place. I'm sorry I can't seem to find my pics for here right now, when I find them I'll post it.