Munra Point via George Trail [CLOSED]

Munra Point via George Trail [CLOSED] is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,109 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

NOTE: This trail is currently closed due to fire damage. John B. Yeon Scenic Corridor is open ONLY to the paved sections of the Historic Highway State Trail. The trails to Elowah, Upper McCord etc. remain closed at this time due to the Eagle Creek Fire. Please check park website for the most up-to-date information: https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=114 The beginning of the hike is easy, until you get to the turnoff point to go up the hill to Munra Point. At this point you will be hiking up a steep and rocky hill, and will need to use caution as injuries and fatalities have occurred. Expect a long and narrow path ahead until you reach the top. There might be a lot of times when you are using your hands to climb up the rugged trail. The view is amazing beyond belief and is worth the hike. This hike is for experienced hikers or thrill seekers looking for a challenge.

This hike is So rewarding once you get to the top! I wouldn’t recommend it if you are not a fan of heights though. There is only one trail sign that starts the path, which is straight up until you reach the top. You have to use all fours in some places but it’s worth the experience. And be prepared to get dirty. Note: I did this hike before the fires.

Steep scramble at the end but worth it!

So I did this hike today. First of all it’s very overgrown. There are vines and fallen down trees all over the trail. It’s really hard to find the path at times. We actually ended up bushwhacking for 30 extra minutes until we found the trail. Before you reach the bend that starts taking you up into the mountains there is a sign that says area closed. PAY ATTENTION: this is where the trail goes up. It’s hard to find but look closely you’ll find it. We completely missed it and ended up on a cliff side. If you like clean, well maintained trails this isn’t for you. It’s been closed for a while so it hasn’t been maintained. I absolutely loved it though and the views were amazing. No one goes up there since it’s closed so make sure you grab a partner to hike. Dangerous hike, a lot of loose terrain so you don’t want to get hurt up there alone. Highly recommend if you’re up for a challenge.

Super overgrown in many places after 2 years of no maintenance. Hard to find trail at times. Still worth doing for the views.

Steep scramble at the end but worth it. Wish it were open but alas maybe next year?

Did this hike 3 years ago. Hardest thing I’ve done in my life! View is soooo worth it! Wouldn’t do it again though, as I nearly died when I slipped and slid down the side of the mountain.

closed

still closed but a hike I'm not waiting till they open it was there on Easter Sunday amazing hike very difficult to stay on trail used this map to help me get to the top well worth it favorite hike cause pushed me and cant wait to go back worth the risk

is it open?

Sun Feb 25 2018

Amazing views. It’s takes some climbing! Very challenging, you’ll get dirty

Sun Feb 11 2018

It's closed! But I have gone before and it's one of my favorites! The lady guarding the road said it looks like it's going to take 2 years for some of the trails.

Fri Dec 15 2017

Deeply saddened that this trail is destroyed from the fire. My friend and I hiked it the last week of August, a week before the Eagle Creek Fire. It was hard and took a ton of mental stamina, but definitely one hell of a special trail. I'll miss it!

Sun Nov 12 2017

Is this trail still open? I’m guessing after the fire there’s no more trees to grab on to

Mon Oct 30 2017

This is my all time favorite hike! Gets you in shape fast! I have been back since the Eagle Creek Fire and unfortunately it has been destroyed... I am hoping over the next few years to try this one again

Mon Oct 30 2017

Kinda hard but worth it

Sun Oct 15 2017

One of the hardest, but the best trail I've done so far. It was hard to find, glad there were people there to direct me.

Wed Sep 13 2017

Love love love.

Mon Sep 11 2017

Hardest hike I've ever done but definitely worth it! Prepare to get dirty and do lots of climbing.

Wed Sep 06 2017

An awesome challenge (first to find the hike, then to make it up and back). The views on a clear day are as good as it gets. Couldn't have done it without All Trails!