Munra Point via George Trail [CLOSED]

Munra Point via George Trail [CLOSED] is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

closed

NOTE: This trail is currently closed due to fire damage. The beginning of the hike is easy, until you get to the turnoff point to go up the hill to Munra Point. At this point you will be hiking up a steep and rocky hill, and will need to use caution as injuries and fatalities have occurred. Expect a long and narrow path ahead until you reach the top. There might be a lot of times when you are using your hands to climb up the rugged trail. The view is amazing beyond belief and is worth the hike. This hike is for experienced hikers or thrill seekers looking for a challenge.

Amazing views. It’s takes some climbing! Very challenging, you’ll get dirty

It's closed! But I have gone before and it's one of my favorites! The lady guarding the road said it looks like it's going to take 2 years for some of the trails.

Deeply saddened that this trail is destroyed from the fire. My friend and I hiked it the last week of August, a week before the Eagle Creek Fire. It was hard and took a ton of mental stamina, but definitely one hell of a special trail. I'll miss it!

Is this trail still open? I’m guessing after the fire there’s no more trees to grab on to

This is my all time favorite hike! Gets you in shape fast!
I have been back since the Eagle Creek Fire and unfortunately it has been destroyed...

I am hoping over the next few years to try this one again

Kinda hard but worth it

One of the hardest, but the best trail I've done so far.
It was hard to find, glad there were people there to direct me.

Love love love.

Hardest hike I've ever done but definitely worth it! Prepare to get dirty and do lots of climbing.

An awesome challenge (first to find the hike, then to make it up and back). The views on a clear day are as good as it gets. Couldn't have done it without All Trails!

I've hiked in many states and countries, and this is one of my all-time favorite hikes!! Challenging due to how steep it gets once you veer off to the left to head up, and it can be a bit of a scramble at times. Completely worth the hard work though! Just give yourself the same amount of time to get down due to the steepness, and if you're scared of heights, this isn't the hike for you. Leave the kids and dogs at home for this one and get out and enjoy it for yourself!! You'll be back!

There was definitely some sketchy parts, but this was worth every step.

Definitely not for the faint of heart.
Fun climb up-getting down was the tricky part.
Good traction shoes are helpful :)

Pretty views at the top, but fairly strenuous. I am not an experience hiker by any means, and it was doable, but I thought about turning back several times. You have to scramble on your hands and knees and climb up rocks. Definitely a hike you should plan to take your time on. I started the hike at around 5 and ended up hiking the last bit in the dark. Very rewarding, but be careful and be aware it is a challenge.

Amazing views BUT this is not a hike for everyone. Extremely challenging and would not recommend for anyone who is not prepared or experienced. Some parts are super sketchy in that you are on all fours scrambling up loose rock, dirt, and gravel and then literally sliding down on your butt using tree roots to assist. At one point while I was sliding down, the hiker behind and above me hit a patch of loose rocks that came tumbling down hitting a few of us below. There are points that you will be rock climbing, so be cautious of how and what you pack. When you get to the top you definitely see incredible views, but to be honest I've seen comparable views on much less strenuous hikes in the gorge. This is a physical and mental challenge so if you're looking for that in your hiking experience this will be the hike for you.

More fun if you run down...

Started this hike at the Elowah Falls trailhead and made our way to the Munra Point trail. Great hike with a healthy dose of scrambling and uphill.

One of the best hikes in the gorge. It is more scrambling than a hike. More than half of the path is scrambling. It is challenging, but the view on top is worth all the effort. Lot of elevation gat in the last mile and a half. Lot of scrambling. Coming down was more challenging. Was on all fours. Not for the faint hearted. As somebody pointed out, when in doubt keep to the right while climbing up.

super amazing hike! but lots of scrambling on the way down. which means go slow. This is not a trail to think oh im just gonna go up and back as fast as possible. Stop and smell the roses. and be safe!

really challenging and includes a considerable amount of climbing.

It's very unclear where you turn off the Gorge trail to get to Munra Peak. But once you do it is pretty steep with some very challenging areas. The varied terrain makes it interesting and fun but be prepared to climb loose ground, boulders, light rock climbing and ultimately a narrow ridge. The views are breathtaking at the top with two long ridges to choose from. One juts out north toward the Columbia river, the other is pointed east.

We knew this trail wouldn't be easy, but we picked it on a whim and we were not mentally prepared for the challenge... know before going: this is a hard hike! Very steep and very long. Definitely not for young children or if you plan on carrying them on your back. We took a wrong turn on the way down and ended up in a very difficult situation, so be mindful. The view from up top though is breathtaking! Worth the extra effort :)

Definitely a scramble!

Hiked the trail and only met a few people on top. Most of them pretty advanced hikers. One of them told us always to make a right when the trail splits. We took one left and ended up in a critical situation because of loose stones and rocks rolling down. Be cautious. Look out for the right entry, it's kind of hidden behind lots of bushes :)

ONE GREAT PHYSICALLY DEMANDING HIKE!
its a climb all the way there.... on hands and feet! crawl! at some points.
if you are afraid of heights? go somewhere else.

Got a little lost starting off. Do not take paved path that goes under highway. The trailhead starts before the bridge I think it was labeled trail #400. A tough scramble up rocks up to the point, but totally worth it when we got to the top! Be careful going down if not wearing boots with tread. Very easy to slip on loose rock and because steep trails.

This is not for the 'I'm in pretty good shape hiker.' Way more than a scramble to the top, the last half was rock climbing or climbing a dirt wall with tree roots as your system up. If you're afraid of heights, would not recommend. Amazing views but definitely on the dangerous side if you're alone! There's not a good way back down the dirt wall except sliding down slowly on your butt. The last part to the very top is a rock wall with a rope hanging down you have to climb up. Not dog friendly or first time hiker friendly by Any means! Good luck!

Worth the steep truck up. We got to the trailhead about 8:30am on a Saturday which was just about right. Not very many people going up but saw a lot of people on our way back down. This hike is not for the faint of heart and those scared of heights. Once you start climbing it's relentlessly uphill the whole way but so worth it once you get to the top. If it has recently rained I would not recommend this hike. The trek would be dangerous especially going down.

This was a great hike, and definitely a challenging one! There's one area of the trail that is not maintained well, and you are climbing up sand/rocks (loose). Personally, I loved the hike & thought it was worth the views. I did see a 4 & 5yr old at the top! (Would not recommend for kids)

Fun little challenge to kick off summer. The last mile is pretty steep - roughly 2,200' of elevation gain. It is a combination of scrambling and hiking, which I love. I do a lot of hiking, so I didn't think this was as treacherous as a lot of people were saying. It is definitely a challenge if you haven't done a lot of elevation gain in a short distance. My only complaint is that it is so close to the highway. You can hear traffic for the majority of the hike. If you want to checkout a full trail review and hike guide, you can check out http://allthepassionstrings.com/munra-point/