Mule Mountain Trail

Mule Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jacksonville, Oregon that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Ruch: Travel south on County Road 859 5.5 miles past the Star Ranger Station to the trailhead on the left.

I have hiked this trail on many occasions it has a few tough part but a nice hike. You can hike it to baldy mountain trail and continue on baldy mountain trail to the top where you will come out on a mountain road .when you reach the road you can go right the road a short way and you would come to mule creek trail and take it back down to mule mountain trail and back to your car. it takes me about 4 hour to complete this hike and I'm a avid hiker. it also possible to hike over to little gray back mountain trail. but you should have two vehicles to do this hike parking one at mule mountain trail head and and one at little gray back mountain trail head. Or leave a vehicle at one and get drop off at the other trail. but make sure you know the way too get from one trail to the other. If you are starting at mule mountain trail. Take mule mountain trail to baldy mountain trail turn right on baldy mountain trail following it until you reach the mountain road then follow the road probably a couple of miles until you come to where it intersect another road turn right at this junction then follow the road until you reach a four way intersection ( I would estimate it's about a 1/2 mile or so. when you reach the four way intersection turn right and follow this road about a 1/4 mile or so to little gray back mountain trail. you will past a road gate on this short section of the road and the makes a hard right and this is where the little gray back mountain trail starts keep a eye out because last time I've did this hike the trail head wasn't Marked very well. And I have done this hike coming from the other way. From little gray back mountain trail,and it took me a couple different try until I figured out how to get from one trail to the other trail. So if try this hike give your self plenty of time to do it and if you going from little gray back mountain trail to baldy mountain trail to mule mountain trail. You will want to make all the right turns left turns. And now I think there's signs letting you know the way too go.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Fun trail! I have driven by it many times headed to Applegate Lake and never saw it. Only complaint about the description is that it doesn't say much about the the trail continuing. It connects to a network of trails. Baldy Peak is the nearest mountain with an actual lookout. Pretty well maintained trail.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Watch for poison oak, And some areas with narrow trails and fairly steep drop offs, but only for a short part.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Beautiful springtime hike with lots if wildflowers.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

This trail was totally accessible even after our wet winter weather. There's no need to open and close the front gate, as the "fence" around the gate is basically a pile of wood. You can easily pass beside the gate without going off-trail. The trail is uphill right from the start. The first stretch is in the forest, and the views really aren't that stunning. As you gain elevation, it clears, and there isn't much tree cover--but the views improve.

We only did about 2.5 miles out, for a round trip of 5 miles. We bypassed the Mule Creek trail and opted for the mountain trail, but we'll probably go back and check out the creek trail. At times, the mountain trail is about a foot wide with a drop-off to one side, so be aware of that. We also experienced that 'tilted foot' feeling one of the above reviewers mentioned...seems like parts of the trail were maybe rutted?

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Mule mountain is worth going up just because of how high you get into the mountains and the trail is pretty open for most of the way. Honestly unsure where the actual top is. We hiked for around 5 miles up and didn't see an end, so we just walked up one of the mountains and had lunch. Bring lunch and enjoy!

Thursday, January 01, 2015

The view at the top is some what disappointing. Over all, it was an enjoyable hike.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Beautiful sunny day for a hike on December 1, 2013. The trail starts on private property so they ask that you make sure you keep the gates closed after you pass through. The beginning is a nicely groomed trail that switchbacks up through the tall trees. We followed the Mule Mountain trail to the left. After awhile, there are no trees to provide any shade. This would be a hot hike in the middle of summer. I ended up taking off my long sleeve shirt and wearing my base layer tank top. The trail was dry as we have not had much rain this year. There were places that the trail was narrow and you need to be careful and watch your footing. Part of the trail seemed to have a slope and the outside of my right foot was a bit tender. I asked one of the other hikers and she felt the same way. We are avid hikers and have not ever experienced this before. We skipped summiting Mule Mountain and continued on to Baldy to the top. Weather permitting, we will return on Saturday and go to the summit of Mule Mountain. It will require a scramble up the steep side of the mountain.
A winter snow storm prevented us from returning to the summit of Mule Mountain on December 7th. On January 5, 2014 we returned. Another beautiful sunny day. We also found a geocache at the top.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016