Learn more

Mouth of South Fork is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Prospect, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 800 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bridge out

very nice hike. lots of shade. almost stepped on a 3' rattlesnake. wanted to reach the headwaters but trail ended at about 2.5 mile mark.

It's a nice trail for kids and dogs. Pretty going along the lake. There are ticks but they are every where.. I recommend it to lots of people...

Sat Mar 17 2018

It's broken in some spots

Fri Jul 07 2017

Beautiful hike! I just had a bad experience when I did it... about 2 miles in I realized I had about 20 ticks on me... I immediately turned around and had to keep stopping to wipe of at least that many again and again... go when it's been hot long enough to kill most of them off. Or soak yourself in deet. It's is very pretty!

Thu Apr 27 2017

This trail is currently only a 5 mile out and back. At 2.5 miles there are trail arrow markers on a tree telling you to make a U turn. I continued on the trail past the U turn sign, the trail was washed out landslide style in a couple places, a few downed trees and about 1/4 mile past the U turn sign the trail becomes completely impassable. I liked the trail that was available, great scenery, enough elevation change to make it an easy hike instead of just a walk.

Thu Aug 23 2012

Just did this hike. It is a litte further than they said. But still Enjoyed the hike. Very easy hiking. ;)

Wed Oct 26 2011

Beautiful hike in the Fall. We just took this hike and it was actually 5.8 miles one way according to the Peyette Bridge Trailhead sign, which was where we started. The parts of the trail were covered with autumn leaves. There were lots of foot bridges and 3 larger bridges and a few spring falls feeding into the Rogue River. The gorge was a bit depleted this time of year but the river was flowing nicely. At the end of the the trail from south to north, the last 0.8 miles is a 600ft incline that ends at the Mill Creek Rd. We did a round trip for a total of over 11 miles. Great hike!!

Sat May 04 2019