Mount Thielsen Trail

Mount Thielsen Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idleyld Park, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,963 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

skiing

This is a fantastic mountaineering trip. The summit is about an 80 foot steep spire that is not advisable to climb if there is snow and ice without a rope. It's got a ton of exposure and a fall would be deadly. Near the top be aware that there will be cornices so stay away from any edges.

Amazing views and a really fun hike. I particularly enjoyed the last bit getting to the top. There’s some exposure there but keep you body close to the rock and find your gripping before you move and you’ll be golden! Will be doing this again and again!

Blessed with a beautifully sunny day on 11/2/19. Left the trailhead around 11 and got to the summit around 330. Barely any snow on the trail. First climber free solod it to allow the rest of us used an existing anchor left by a group that was headed back down. More experienced climbers could scramble this without protection but the exposure is real. Took turns climbing the summit block and were done as the sun was set. I wouldn’t recommended descending in the dark but the golden skies transitioning to moonlight helped light the way along with out headlamps, this made for a surreal experience getting back off the mountain. Overall a wonderful experience

fee
icy

10/26/19 Talk about VIEWS! This trail pays off early with views of Diamond Lake, Lemola Lake, Mt. Bailey, & more. Past the tree line things get a bit harder with the trail not being well marked & lots of scrambling in loose rocks/scree. The actual climb to Chicken Ledge at the top is frightening but the views, even partially up, are worth it. A heart pumper for sure - I made it almost to the tippy top & choose life over death & went back. I plan to keep increasing my comfort level with rock climbing & go back in the summer. Older snow on some parts of the trail, very cold on top so lots of wind chill. Dress WARM & check snow conditions. We caught it on a beautiful clear day

We had an amazing summit on Thielson today! We were a little nervous about the possibility of snow being on the trail (which there was) but it ended up not inhibiting us from reaching the summit. And almost made it easier to see the way up by following in others footsteps. At the last section of the summit -the climb, we left are backpacks at the bottom & wore climbing shoes to reach the top. Absolutely worth it! We did not use ropes and felt comfortable in our skill level. Hardest part of this hike is coming down. I also would recommend wearing a helmet while hiking up because we definitely had a few close calls with loose rock. Worth it all!

I started early, and brought climbing shoes, because I was planning to scramble up to the summit. I thought I’d be comfortable doing so without protection, and I was, but I was also really grateful I had my shoes— they just made me feel more comfortable. The trail is really well-defined until the final part of the scree, and then it’s relatively easy to get off-route. The safest scramble to the summit is off to the right, through a chimney system that feels like it’ll take you almost to the back of the peak. Beautiful views. Totally worth the trip.

I do this hike every summer. It’s honestly the best feeling being on top of “The Lightning Rod of the Cascades”. From Chicken’s Peak it’s a climb that will get your heart racing, but it is definitely doable. There is a ton of exposure, but just take your time. When you’re at the top on a sunny day, you can see a glimpse of the deep blue water that is Crater Lake. This is probably one of my favorite places in the world. Bring good shoes and expect to use your hands when nearing the summit. This is a hike that is not for the faint of heart, but pays huge dividends of accomplishment and beauty.

Great trail and awesome views. Long hike, I’d definitely do it again!

If you don’t have climbing gear for the spire there’s a possibility of dying but that makes it really fun haha. Definitely doable without gear but I would recommend it.

Chose not to summit, but the views from close to the top are worth it.