Mount Thielsen Trail

Mount Thielsen Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Glide, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

This is a fantastic mountaineering trip. The summit is about an 80 foot steep spire that is not advisable to climb if there is snow and ice without a rope. It's got a ton of exposure and a fall would be deadly. Near the top be aware that there will be cornices so stay away from any edges.

Amazing hike, quite difficult without gear. I had to turn around a few hundred feet from the summit because I was alone and didn't want to risk it. I would recommend going with someone and bringing climbing gear.

Hot midday, smoke filled, solo summit. Left the car 1pm got back 5:30pm two groups of two as I was headed up. 1 man at junction of PCT. take plenty of water don't forget the electrolytes. 1 grouse

I would absolutely not advise attempting to get towards the summit with dogs. Beyond the PCT, things get progressively steeper and more sketchy.
About .75 miles after the junction with the PCT, we had no choice but to turn back as the trail was impassable except through bouldering.
Even so, we considered turning around before then as we cilmbed through a large amount of loose dirt and rock that was very difficult for our (in shape) dog. Please do not try to get near the summit with your pet unless it is a mountain goat.

There are beautiful view though and the lower part of the trail was very nice walking with our dog.

The trail was clear and obvious up to its Junction with the PCT at which point it meanders/splits and rejoins itself up to the scree fields and beyond.

I would recommend using mid-height approach boots and potentially ankle gaiters to help deal with the sand and scree up and down.

If you are comfortable with rock climbing and scrambling the summit push will be a class 3 as long as you avoid exposing yourself. Otherwise, I would consider this a class 4 and recommend a belay up and down along with a well-planned route for the climber.

Also be aware the sun at altitude is very strong and there is a high level of exposure beyond the the junction with the Pacific Crest Trail. Plan accordingly.

Went when there was still some snow, pretty spicy without rock climbing gear, but with trad gear it was very cool!

Hiked in about 7 miles starting around 4pm, set up camp and stayed the night. Woke up early the next morning and Were one of the first to reach the summit. Would love to do this hike again, the views from up too were amazing!

I'd do it again!

Mt Thielsen has been on my to-do (to climb) list since shortly after I moved to Oregon;to me, it just looks like the way a great mountain should look.
I planned to do it earlier in the season and almost gave up before picking what might have been the last day to hike w/o snow (a large weather front moved in the next day). Because of that last minute decision, or possibly just because I did not pay enough attention, I ended up going the wrong way at the junction with the PC and (1) added an extra mile to the trip + (2) climbed to the top traversing the whole scree field top to bottom!
Putting these two mishaps aside the rest was just pure bliss. The weather was just cool enough to balance the overheating from the effort going up. The weather was a nice mix of sunshine and high altitude clouds... and I reached my goal of climbing the summit spire shortly before my 61st birthday!
I did prepare a bit for this climb: I climbed Pilot Rock near Ashland the previous weekend; I exercised more than usual to make sure I had as much upper body strength as I could muster; I bough climber shoes to avoid making the climb with my bulky hiking boots; and I TOOK TIME during the climb (up and down) to make sure I had very good purchase before making the next move. This was important, not just because of the consequences of falling but because I was absolutely alone on the mountain that day (no other care in the parking lot, no other hikers/climbers the whole day).

Climbing the spire is not something to take lightly. At the same time, it apparently does not require strong climbing skills. It is somewhere in the middle. A few things, however, are to be taken seriously: yes, a fall can easily mean death; climbing alone (even if I did it) is not the wiser way to go about it (there was one spot, when climbing back down, where I was mildly anxious as I did not immediately identified the way I came up; good footwear (I love my climbing shoes) and some fitness (pulling yourself up a bit on occasions) does help; TAKING TIME planning the next move can make all the difference (do not proceed if you are not very confident you have good purchase); climbing down can be more unnerving than climbing up (although it did not feel that way to me this time); do not attempt w/o proper gear if there is snow, ice or even wet rocks. This can be a wonderful experience if carefully planned and executed.

I do not often hike the same trails over and over (unless they are close by). However, I may make an exception for Mt Thielsen as it really stands apart.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

This was my first summit and I had a blast. I was determined to climb it, even if I had to do it solo. As it turns out I went with a friend who has climbed Mt. Thielsen before and I was glad I did because sometimes it was hard pick up the trail.
We reached the top without climbing gear but I would recommend against this unless you are an experienced climber. The views are stunning.
The most difficult part of the hike was the scree fields. Take your time and watch every step you take and you'll be fine. It took us two 2 1/2 hours to summit and the same amount of time to make it back to the parking lot.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

I solo hiked this trail last weekend. . I almost made it to chicken ridge but I decided to turn around because it didn't feel safe. It's a great hike, but I suggest not hiking it solo. I'll come back and finish it, but not by myself!

Thursday, June 30, 2016