Learn more

Mount Thielsen Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idleyld Park, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,257 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a fantastic mountaineering trip. The summit is about an 80 foot steep spire that is not advisable to climb if there is snow and ice without a rope. It's got a ton of exposure and a fall would be deadly. Near the top be aware that there will be cornices so stay away from any edges.

Hiked 7/5/20- 1st time on this mountain and had been curious what this final spire section/climb looked like as I’ve read various descriptions. Once arriving, had the chance to watch someone complete it before my attempt which I feel helped a lot. Having no experience in climbing, I wanted to at least give it a shot, and ended up making it to the top. Would say the climb is totally doable for someone at my experience level without any ropes as long as you take your time and are ready for a little adrenaline rush!

07-06-20 Amazing Hike. a little hot.

We chickened out of the spire at the last minute since we were short on time and it seemed like the down climb would be time consuming. Incredible views and really unique geomorphology.

The trail is great with a mild to moderate climb for the majority of the trail until you get to the PCT. After the PCT intersection things change dramatically. The elevation changes quickly and the ground becomes very loose. I found it much harder to come down than to go up with a few falls stepping on rocks that gave way. There are some nice view points to have lunch at right around the PCT intersection and you can climb up the mountain to another area with some view points to the north if you choose to brave the loose rock and steep climb up. Overall, it was a gorgeous day with amazing views!

great!

Hiked on 7/4 – We started at 8am and clambered up onto the summit at 11a; spent 30 minutes taking in the panoramic views and were back at the car by 2pm. We were concerned it may be crowded due to the holiday weekend but we did not come across many other people at all. The trail is pretty exposed so sunscreen is a must. Mosquitoes were not an issue! The hike was moderately challenging, particularly navigating over loose rock and scree on the fairly steep section above the tree line. There are also a few sections where it’s pretty possible to lose the trail. The final scramble was very doable with an intermediate amount of bouldering experience and without ropes; however, climbing back down felt pretty perilous. A few other climbers had helmets which was probably a smart idea. Overall, this is a wonderful hike – would highly recommend!

Depending on your comfort level the summit is very much doable without ropes/climbing gear. If you’re not feeling good about scrambling up the spire then there is a perch just off to the side of the summit from which you can take in incredible views. Once out of the tree line the trail becomes very steep with plenty of loose rock/scree. I hiked this trail 7/2/20, no snow or ice and fortunately no mosquitoes.

You can see most the summit trail from the PTC intersection/camp. The summit climb is sketchy but almost too much work to do a belay with nuts and cams.. if you bring a rope it's gonna be for repelling.. when you climb up the spire go through the crack between two boulders to the right. Also the black tar/acrylic paint looking spots at the summit are a result of lightning strikes... wish I knew that and took pictures. SUNSCREEN BUG SPRAY

Best father's day ever. While in the tree line, especially below PCT junction, the mosquitoes are unreal. The rocky section is so much fun, choosing every step and grasp keeps your mind off the steep ascend, making time just fly. From about 8800' / up, there is so much to see, have stopped every 50 feet to look at the views. The spire was an easy climb, and so rewarding. the views are simply breathtaking. My 9 yr old daughter's first mountain,so I would not rate this difficult at all. Going back here for sure.

Lots of downed logs. Views were amazing . We took lots of pics. Rap station on back side of mtn. When you’re climbing up, it’s more towards the right. Tons and. Tons and tons of skitos.... pretty much til you get out of the trees. Patches of snow. Trail runners is all you need. High temp today. Took my 12 yr old nephew and 14 Yr old niece. :) First hike for my niece, and we climbed and rapped down the spire a few times.

Started the hike at 3:15am. It was quite amazing. I really didn't need my poles since the majority of the trail was easy. When the trail started getting rough after the windbreakers I still didn't need them. I was using my hands the last couple hundred feet. Mosquitoes sucked a$$ when I got back under the treeline, but that's kind of expected. Can't really say what experience level I'd recommend this trail to, but if I was forced to I'd say intermediate. Reason for 5 stars was the views. I can't say how many times I stopped to get a pic of Diamond Lake, Mt Bailey, or the summit. Note to reader, you can't see Crater Lake. You can see the rim, but that's all.

Hiked a bit of this trail. Outstanding views. The ‘lightning rod’ of the Cascades.

Probably the most fun to climb mountain in Oregon. I loved the rock. The first part is just a standard hike till you reach the pct then the fun begins. I never actually follow the trail finding my way up. First time I did it solo and just climbed the last 800 feet with no ropes afterwards we always set a line for group climbs. Broken top is my second favorite. I have a picture of me and my girlfriend standing at the uppermost top pinnacle which is a 180 degree 2000 ft drop.

Nice winter hike. Icy layer will 2 inches of fluffy snow on top today. Turned back just below the tree line due to wind.

super fun and easy for how much snow there is. just follow our tracks.

Its been a while since i hiked this however its always a great trail. always make sure to go around the right side of the chicken spire. going strait up it will get you to a significantly more difficult climb.

Amazing views and a really fun hike. I particularly enjoyed the last bit getting to the top. There’s some exposure there but keep you body close to the rock and find your gripping before you move and you’ll be golden! Will be doing this again and again!

Blessed with a beautifully sunny day on 11/2/19. Left the trailhead around 11 and got to the summit around 330. Barely any snow on the trail. First climber free solod it to allow the rest of us used an existing anchor left by a group that was headed back down. More experienced climbers could scramble this without protection but the exposure is real. Took turns climbing the summit block and were done as the sun was set. I wouldn’t recommended descending in the dark but the golden skies transitioning to moonlight helped light the way along with out headlamps, this made for a surreal experience getting back off the mountain. Overall a wonderful experience