Mount Pisgah Outer Loop Trail

Mount Pisgah Outer Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Eugene, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I give it 5 stars because this is a mostly leash free trail, and my dog loves an off leash hike. Beautiful at the summit and the whole way up. I can't wait to see it in the spring!

Lovely hike

Love this trail! One of the best in Lane County!!

My six year old and I had a great time with this route on a beautiful day in February. It took us the morning at a comfortable pace.

Monday, April 11, 2016

I'm here all the time and love all the trails that I can use. The only thing to watch out for is the poison oak.

Monday, March 14, 2016

We enjoy the Eastside. Less people. Beautiful scenery.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

My favorite walk and berry-patch there by the turtle and frog ponds was sprayed with toxic chemicals this spring during the rainy season--beware. Nature Conservancy, Friends, Lane County Parks, BPA--please stop!

Sunday, January 04, 2015

There are so many options to choose from when visiting Mt Pisgah / Howard Buford Recreation area. While I don't mind hiking up the steep "Trail #1" gravel road, I do prefer going on longer walks on the less traveled trails. Trails #3 and -- even more so -- #2 have a much lighter traffic, probably due to their length and the fact that they are more rocky/sinuous (#3) and quite remote and easily overgrown (#2). Trail #4 (a more "civilized" version of #2) and trail #5 (mostly flat and going along the river and the meadows) also offer good long walks if "summitting" is not your primary goal (although you can use trail #6 do do that from the southeastern end of #4 and #5).
For someone visiting for the first time, or not familiar with the network of trails, I would recommend getting a copy of the trails map ( http://www.lanecounty.org/Departments/PW/Parks/Documents/HBRA_Trails_Brochure.pdf )

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I love hiking here because it's so close to town yet you still get that feeling of being out in the forest if you hike up into the trees...there are so many trails that you could hike all day long. I'm trying to improve my fitness level and hiking out here is a great way to start out.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mount Pisgah is a decent hike. It's not my favorite only because there's a ton of people, you have to pay for parking and it's pretty much paved gravel the whole way up (the main way) which really bothers me because we are in Oregon, not LA where nature is few and far between. The top has benches built in as well and I just think that makes the nature experience not as exciting, man made things shouldn't be on the top of a mountain.

Thursday, June 07, 2012

Nice hike close to Eugene with great views in three directions from the summit. The main trail (actually a fire road) passes through a nice mix of oak woodland and open prairie with many spring wildflowers.However, the mileage stated is incorrect unless one hikes from the main westside trailhead to the summit (1.4 miles), then down the east side of the mountain to the SE trailhead (2.5 miles) and back again for a total of 7.8 miles. Most folks take the main summit trail to the top and back for a RT distance of 2.8 miles, easily doable in less than an hour total. A nice alternative I prefer is to hike the Theodore loop which takes off to the left at the main trailhead and reconnects to the main summit trail about half way up. This route has a RT distance of 3.6 miles. Also there is the bridge bowl trail which begins at the NW corner of the park and heads to the summit via swing hill. To access this just turn left at the park entrance and drive a short distance to the trailhead. There are many additional trails throughout the park including several that skirt the park perimeter. I've been able to hike 15+ miles in a day on these without ever having to retrace my steps.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Fantastically diverse hiking

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I went up the gradual path to the left, and took the steeper way down in the rain with my 78 year old father. The views of the neighboring farmlands are wonderful, and the path isn't so bad in the rain - although it helps to have a hiking stick should you slip. A bit windy at times, but pleasant. We came down the steeper way. My calves were sore two days later, but still felt good. My dad goes up a lot more often than I, but now that I also have a Lane County Parks season pass, I will be heading up more often, and taking friends up some of the other trails.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Parking is $3.00 now. Great views from the top and plenty of room on the main trail for all the people. Everyone was smiling too, which is always nice. Maybe the weather had something to do with it. Good workout up and down and then plenty of trails to just stroll around too.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

This is a fun hike close to town. It's a great place to get some exercise for yourself and the dog. It's got something for everyone, with miles of trails on all sides.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

This has become a great place near town to go for a great hike. There are many trails to choose from in the park.You can climb to the summit or hike around down below. A great place to get out and hike.$2 parking fee.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Mount Pisgah is a great place for all ages and abilities to enjoy. Just a short drive southeast of Eugene, Mount Pisgah offers amazing views in all directions from the summit. There are several trails leading to the summit, some longer, while others are a bit shorter, but steeper. Conveniently located benches are located along many of the trails.

I personally enjoy the hikes through the trees. There are two that I like the most, one running most of the north side of Mouth Pisgah, and the other along the southwest side. Part of the enjoyment of Mount Pisgah to me, is how close it is, it's a rather easy climb, the views in all directions, and the trails are accessible year round.

Mount Pisgah has a large parking lot, picnic areas and trail information available near the main trailheads. A small fee of $2 is required per car. Be sure to lock your car and hide all valuables in your trunk, or take them with you.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Don't leave anything of value in your car, and watch out for dogs off leash. Other than those issues, Mt Pisgah is beautiful and fun to hike.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

nice area, great place for a day walk.