Mount McLoughlin Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Klamath Falls, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

$5 mandatory parking fee When you get up onto the East ridge, take a look at the pinnacles within the Eastern Bowl.

We went today, there was a blizzard, it was crazy! We weren’t able to climb up to the summit due the lack of visibility. Hopefully next time. We got some awesome views from the ridgeline. Took us 7 hours both ways, but we didn’t get to the summit. I definitely need to come back to get there.

Great hike. Made it to the summit in 3.5 hours. That was with a few breaks here and there. Took us about 3 hours to make it back down after resting on top for 30 minutes. Would do it again for sure!

If you stay to the right and follow the white dots, drawn arrows and pink trail markers when you get into the ridge line, the trail is somewhat easy to stay on. It is super easy to take a wrong turn and end up off trail, so pay attention! Amazing views at the peak! If you don’t like climbing rocks/boulders and scrambling straight up, this trail is not for you!

Also: there is a $5 mandatory parking fee! Wish I would have known this ahead of time!

Great hike. Awesome views.

Hiked in early September. I lost the trail about a thousand times on the way up, but made it anyway just by climbing over boulders and trudging up the sandy mountainside in the general direction of the summit. It’s cold and windy at the top. Wear gloves. Total time just under 5 hours.

Very hard hike but incredible views. Lots of slick gravel areas and rocks to climb over, but worth the effort.

Beautiful hike. Did take about 5 hours round trip. Lots of people hiking. Very easy to see the trail.

follow white dots and stacks of rocks on way up

amazing hike!! killer on the the legs but well worth it. spent the night in my hammock at around 8200 ft super Smokey and windy. got up around 4 am to summit and to see the sunrise. I highly recommend this trail it will treat you right!

Great hike that consisted of a trek out of the woods to a scramble over the rocks and a little bit of shake to huff up. Views were beautiful,and looking across the horizons you can see the top of Shasta standing proudly above the clouds. Majestic site. 2 liters of water is more than enough. We hit the trail at about 6:30 which made for a great day.

We started at the Summit Snopark/PCT trailhead, not realizing there was another trailhead specifically for McLoughlin. We got a little turned around at the beginning, so if you start from here make sure you take a right at the first fork in the road, about a quarter mile in!
Other than that, be prepared for a tough scramble up rocks for about the last hour or so to the summit. The views of Shasta and all the lakes from the top definitely make it worth it!

Great challenging hike! Starts off with a nice trek through the woods, then you get to a moderate, rocky climb and finish with a tough scramble. Views are totally worth it but you have to remind yourself of that when you’re in the suck zone. Brought my dog, who’s a great little hiker, and she was pretty tired by the end so something to keep in mind if you’re thinking about bringing your pup. It can be especially tough for a dog up top in the scramble. We met a couple who turned around because their older dog couldn’t make it over the rocks. Recommend bringing lots of water and snacks, for you and your pup. And don’t forget sunscreen! It’s cool up there but the sun is strong. Tons of butterflies up top which was kind of magical. Highly recommend this hike.

Definitely a rocky trail! Great views and its about a 10.5 mile rt hike. Thanks to the markings on the trail: orange ribbons and white markings on the rocks. It was a hard hike since I have not been out hiking for a bit. Took me about 7 1/2 hours round trip. Would I do it again? Yes, maybe hike up and camp overnight.

you gotta love rocks for this one. starts out as a stroll in the woods then never ending rocks to break your pace and rhythm. trail is void of snow

not a hard hike by any standard, great views at the top, and bouldering for when you get bored.

the trail was poorly marked after the Ridgeline, added about 20 cairns to help. look for small white dots spray painted on rock as well as orange plastic ribbon on trees to help wayfind.

Hiked 6/24/18. For a somewhat experienced climber this summit is very straight forward. I read several reviews that mentioned getting turned around and even lost, but as long you follow Karin’s and white dots the trail is well marked. You almost never see the mountain during the hike, it makes the climb rather unusual, but once you finally beak the tree line the summit shot is fairly short. No snow at this point, limited skree field, mostly boulders to keep you out of the dirt. It’s hot in southern Oregon so bring plenty of water and start early! Signs say 11 miles, reports of 9 but I didn’t bother to check, be ready to climb (hike) a mountain and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the ease of this summit. A good pair of trail runners and camelbak should be more then sufficient for this one.

Hiked up to the 9000 ft level on a Friday afternoon to spend the night. Watched a lightning storm over Lake Klamath and it was also the first night of the Perseid Meteor showers. What a great experience. Climbed up to the summit and watched the sunrise. Then hiked down.

Incredible hike with an amazing view! Started today (6.16.18) just after 5am. 3 Hours to summit. Then back down in 1hr 50 minutes. Rocky and some loose gravel near the top but the trail was easy to find and follow (not much snow on the trail). Follow the white dots and the cairns left by previous hikers. Easily done solo! Highly recommend!!!

Great both in October and May with snowshoes

I've summited several peaks and I won't do this one again...too hot in August (which is really the only time it's not snow packed) due to sun exposure and reflection! Typically smoky this time of year which creates difficulty breathing and seeing the views...a lot of scree at the peak, dangerous and crowded as there is only a cement platform where the lookout used to be...then of course the difficulty with finding the correct route out on the descent...so many have gotten lost and ended up on the PCT...Also a very steep trail in the open...Love Theilsen, Bailey and Union peaks! I recommend those instead!

‘‘This trail is a bit challenging to stay on especially near the top. Awesome day hike! Took about 11 hours but I stayed at the top a while.

Difficult hike, but worth the view! Pack extra water, I ran out the first time I hiked it. Start off early in the morning, it's gonna take most of the day. 4000+ elevation change. Stick to the ridge on the way down, otherwise you might lose the trail down.

Hard but worth it. Very windy Oct 7.

Monday, October 09, 2017

Such a fun, rewarding hike. I was worried about finding the trail, but the white dots made it suele easy to follow. It was super windy at the top and I'm glad I brought my wind breaker!

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Beautiful. Very difficult to get to the top. Worth it.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Great hike. Visibility around 20 miles only but still worth it. First time up there on a Saturday and i was able to still get a half hour at top alone. Cold today but also was refreshing. Well at thought it was cold. There must of been 10 people in spandex pants, running shoes and tank tops. i'm apparently a woos. The ridge trail is really well marked with little white dots. Thanks to who ever did that no matter how many times I thought they were just bird poop. Great Hike. Ended a great week of hikes.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Was a great day. Plus it was so nice to get above the smoke. Boys did great but were very tired once we got back to the car.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Took us 10 hours, with about 1.5 of breaks, and a slight hour long detour on the decent. The trail at the top is not marked well, we took a wrong turn and stared going down the wrong face of the mountain, Had to double back to the top and restart again. Bring gloves, sunscreen and don't just wear regular sneakers. The trail is very rocky 2/3 of the time, sturdy hiking shoes are a must. Very difficult, but worth the hike.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Bring gloves to protect your hands from the boulders at the top of the mountain. Keep your eyes peeled for the white dots on the rocks, they are marking the trail. Use the app for directions to trailhead, not Google.
* Bring a new notebook if you want to leave your name in the log. The signature log is full and needs to be replaced.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

took us 12 hours to walk the 10.9 miles. made it to the top!! very smokey today.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Awesome hike- was definitely an 11 mile hike like the map suggests not 8 miles like this app. Plan for an all day trip, take lots water (my husband and I each has a camel pack plus a small water bottle each and we drank it) take snacks and lunch too! We did not have any bugs :) way up was a steep incline especially towards the top. Lots of loose rock! The end was totally worth it! On the way down the loose gravel made it seem harder than it probably is. We also lost the trail for a bit, but headed east like the map suggests. I suggest wearing shoes that have good traction- the way down was harder because of my shoes. Well worth the day trip!