Mount McLoughlin Trail

Mount McLoughlin Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Klamath Falls, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

When you get up onto the East ridge, take a look at the pinnacles within the Eastern Bowl.

I've summited several peaks and I won't do this one again...too hot in August (which is really the only time it's not snow packed) due to sun exposure and reflection! Typically smoky this time of year which creates difficulty breathing and seeing the views...a lot of scree at the peak, dangerous and crowded as there is only a cement platform where the lookout used to be...then of course the difficulty with finding the correct route out on the descent...so many have gotten lost and ended up on the PCT...Also a very steep trail in the open...Love Theilsen, Bailey and Union peaks! I recommend those instead!

‘‘This trail is a bit challenging to stay on especially near the top. Awesome day hike! Took about 11 hours but I stayed at the top a while.

Difficult hike, but worth the view! Pack extra water, I ran out the first time I hiked it. Start off early in the morning, it's gonna take most of the day. 4000+ elevation change. Stick to the ridge on the way down, otherwise you might lose the trail down.

Hard but worth it. Very windy Oct 7.

Such a fun, rewarding hike. I was worried about finding the trail, but the white dots made it suele easy to follow. It was super windy at the top and I'm glad I brought my wind breaker!

Beautiful. Very difficult to get to the top. Worth it.

Great hike. Visibility around 20 miles only but still worth it. First time up there on a Saturday and i was able to still get a half hour at top alone. Cold today but also was refreshing. Well at thought it was cold. There must of been 10 people in spandex pants, running shoes and tank tops. i'm apparently a woos. The ridge trail is really well marked with little white dots. Thanks to who ever did that no matter how many times I thought they were just bird poop. Great Hike. Ended a great week of hikes.

Was a great day. Plus it was so nice to get above the smoke. Boys did great but were very tired once we got back to the car.

Took us 10 hours, with about 1.5 of breaks, and a slight hour long detour on the decent. The trail at the top is not marked well, we took a wrong turn and stared going down the wrong face of the mountain, Had to double back to the top and restart again. Bring gloves, sunscreen and don't just wear regular sneakers. The trail is very rocky 2/3 of the time, sturdy hiking shoes are a must. Very difficult, but worth the hike.

Bring gloves to protect your hands from the boulders at the top of the mountain. Keep your eyes peeled for the white dots on the rocks, they are marking the trail. Use the app for directions to trailhead, not Google.
* Bring a new notebook if you want to leave your name in the log. The signature log is full and needs to be replaced.

took us 12 hours to walk the 10.9 miles. made it to the top!! very smokey today.

Awesome hike- was definitely an 11 mile hike like the map suggests not 8 miles like this app. Plan for an all day trip, take lots water (my husband and I each has a camel pack plus a small water bottle each and we drank it) take snacks and lunch too! We did not have any bugs :) way up was a steep incline especially towards the top. Lots of loose rock! The end was totally worth it! On the way down the loose gravel made it seem harder than it probably is. We also lost the trail for a bit, but headed east like the map suggests. I suggest wearing shoes that have good traction- the way down was harder because of my shoes. Well worth the day trip!

I'm used to climbing mountains with steep ascents but throw in the terrain and difficult to follow route on this mountain and it turns out not to be as much fun as you'd hoped! The sign at the start says the hike is 11miles but I think it's probably closer to 9miles. The views are beautiful although there was smoke and some clouds effecting our views. Parking at the trailhead is $5. My hiking partner hated this walk and would give it zero stars!!!

Amazing hike very hard Up and back take lots of water and snacks make sure you take tracking polls

Great hike, a little sketchy towards top with loose rock and soft terrain- but take it slowly and you will be fine. My legs never hurt so much at the end, but no pain no gain. Don't forget to sit in the cool creek near trailhead to soak those aching muscles. Trail is well marked with white dots near top so as not to get confused about which direction to head.

It was an awesome adventure and views from the top are amazing! The people we met on the trail were very helpful and encouraging. Definitely bring plenty of water. A lady from Ashland, OR was on the trail and was kind enough to give me her extra water bottle! If she is reading this....THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Bitchin

Better be in good shape and carry more water than you think

Bring a bug net for the first few miles. It's easy to lose the trail on the way down from the summit.. keep four mile lake (skiers left) in sight on the way down. Great views above timberline!

Strenous!
Follow the white dots - parts of trail was snow covered yesterday which made us lose trail on the way up.
There also pink marks on trees to look out for at some places. Not a very well maintained trail, not a beginner trail. We made it to the summit and back in 7.5 hours.
Bring repellent - mosquitoes are fierce in the lower part of the trail.
And whatever you do - try to stay on the trail as much as you can. It can quickly become dangerous otherwise.

Agree with reviewer below. This is not a 7.6 mile trek. The trailhead sign shows it as an over 11 mile round trip. Hit the summit the day before Memorial Day. Snow almost the entire way. Slush after 10 AM. Summited around 2pm so it was a long hike back down. Guess I should not have left those snowshoes in the car. Trail disappears at times in the snow on the lower slopes, but a spectacular day overall. I counted 11 hikers / skiiers that day. Buggy at the bottom. Multiple small avalanches in the bowl. Stay on the ridge and it should be a good day.

Snow for a good portion of the route. Take NF-3661 to get closet to the trailhead.

Monday, February 20, 2017

never again!

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Forgot to mention, sunset in Klamath Falls, 39 miles away, was set for about 4:48 pm...the trail was getting dark at 3:30 pm. I ended up jogging the last 20 or so minutes.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Fantastic hike for it being November...snow at the top, but not bad yet. Windy and cold though.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

I am not sure how the trail description comes up with 7.6 miles round trip; from the trail-head on NFR 365 to the summit and back is a bit under 10 miles.

Still, with about 3900 feet of elevation gain and a summit a tad under 10K feet, this is a nice work-out. I won't comment about the views: I could only see due East as the rest was under a see of clouds which, of course, is another to enjoy and experience a summit.

McLoughlin did not feel like a very hard summit to reach (even for these 60 years old legs) this could be due to the fact that the approach is rather short (about 3 miles) and the climb is half under the treeline, which means that the summit is not that far away when it is finally visible. The amount of scree is also significantly under what one has to go through when climbing South Sister or even Diamond Peak.

Rather than the scree, what made the hike harder for me was the fact that most of the last 2 miles is a very rocky path; very demanding and unforgiving on ankles and hips.

Nevertheless a very beautiful mountain to climb and one that I will remember every time I drive I5 near Medford (it is superbly visible from the highway, driving South, on a clear day).

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Great hike with the family! Late August and it was probably 65-75 degrees. My six year old son apparently found it difficult. He hurled twice. After that he was fine. Hiked with 4 kids, ages 15, 13, 11, and 6. We took our time. Left the bottom at 9:20. Got back to the car at 7:10. Spent about an hour at the top. Lots of breaks along the way. Still plenty light when we got back to the car. The last bit was definitely the hardest. Used my hands frequently to help keep myself going forward. I'm not fond of heights, and was slightly nervous, but most of the time when I could see over the edge it wasn't a drop. Just a steep slope. Easy to get off the trail near the top, but the bottom is MUCH improved from June. In June, there were downed trees all over the trail.
Great day! Beautiful views!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Made it to summit yesterday. Started from PCT trailhead which made for at least an 18 mile day, so it was challenging to say the least. You have to want this one. Trail is rocky but clear for the most part. Everyone out there reminds everyone going up to keep Four Mile Lake in constant view on the way down. Took my eyes off it for a couple minutes and got off trail for a few. Beautiful forest, challenging mountain. Start early, takes lots of water and have extra water to chug in car on the way back! Sunscreen, good shoes, trekking poles helped me!

Monday, August 01, 2016

Not a easy hike but it is my favorite ! You will want a gps and map to fall back on should you get lost coming down! The view from the top is amazing

Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Mount McLoughlin trail is a beautiful one, but definitely isn't for the faint of heart! It's a hard trail, and it's extremely easy to get lost on the way back down. We ended up getting lost, but ended up being able to eventually navigate back down. Be careful! The end has a pretty high incline, and it definitely kicks your butt! This trail is an awesome one if you're training, or want to push yourself a little more while hiking. Watch out for rolling or unstable rocks at the top, and take your time as the sediment and sand up there can be quite slippery. The view is beautiful and gives a lovely view of multiple lakes at the summit.