Mount Hood, Barrett Spur

Mount Hood, Barrett Spur is a 15.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hood River, Oregon and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and nature trips and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,982 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

partially paved

We made this from dollar lake / timberline trail, and from that vantage, the trail is somewhat well marked. Once you hit the ridge, elevation gain and rocky terrain make it difficult. However, if you push through, the views are fantastic.

Wed Jun 20 2018

First 2 miles of trail been turned into paved road, next 1 1/2 miles where small loose rocks. After that, they stopped maintenance on the trail.

Wed May 31 2017

Accessing to trail head is still very problematic due to snow cover on roads. Snow coverage starts when turning right onto NF-1810 off of Lolo Pass Rd, just pass Lolo Pass Trail head. NF-1810 connects back with Lolo Pass Rd. There's a possibility this clears up once the road turns to asphalt again. I'm unsure of the road conditions on NF-16. A vehicle with high ground clearance and 4WD would be needed to explore farther. Have made this hike several times. Is one of my favorites in the area. Very few people and stunning views.

Thu Sep 15 2016

Just finished this hike. Still super hard. Brought my dog and that was sort of scary. Definite scrambling at the top.

Wed Aug 19 2015

I wasn't able to make it to the top but my buddy did (he is a mountain climbing machine). Too hot and too little water. I also had a hard time finding the right TH. Mt Hood was gorgeous and I will probably try it again in a year. The Timberline trail was really busy when I went on the weekend, but this trail was relatively empty. Most people were heading to McNeil Point. I would probably recommend McNeil point or Cooper Spur before hiking this.

Sat Mar 24 2018