Mount Defiance Trail

Mount Defiance Trail is a 12.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Hike to the highest point of the Columbia Gorge with amazing views of Mt. Hood, Mt. St Helens, and Mt. Adams Many consider this hike Oregon's hardest trail. As you climb this six million year old shield volcano, you will find breathtaking views of the Columbia Gorge, Mt. Adams, and Mt. St Helens. While the top is marred by a bunch of communication equipment, you will still find one of the best views of Mt Hood.

24 minutes ago

Great hike. Bring hiking poles. On the way down, there are some parts that steel and full of tiny rock pebbles, which makes it hard to have traction with the ground.

If you like steep and long, this hike always does the trick. It's a great conditioning hike for mountain climbers.

This trail is no joke! It starts with a mild incline, I was feeling a little disappointed and then BAM! The incline gets very intense without warning and the incline only increases for the next 8-9 miles. Wouldn't recommend doing the Starvation ridge loop. I didn't see the loop cut off, so ended up doing this one backwards (wouldn't recommend). But the views are amazing! Some spots a little to covered by trees to get a clear picture.

Would recommend completing dog mountain, and starvation ridge first before attempting this one.

Bring plenty of water! I went through at least 5 bottles just on the way up. And there's no real good place along the way for a lady to "pop a squat"...

Descending down can be difficult, I'm very lightweight so placing a few rocks in my pack helped even out my weight distribution. I didn't slide or fall but I saw others that did even with a pole or stick.

This hike took me in total 4hrs to complete. (would have been shorter if I didn't miss the damn cutoff). Going without stops this hike can be completed under 3hrs

Did this hike yesterday. Weather was awesome. We did the defiance trail out and back. Very long and strenuous hike with good views of gorge.

The weather was perfect. It's a bit steep and easy to slide in sections. My biggest concern was the amount of poison oak . It was growing over the trail and along it.

Did this may 14 and may 21. Amazing what a beautiful day can make this into. Took true trail second time. May 14 needed to take alternate route. Great training hikes.

I did this on May 21st. Was a great challenging hike but I wasn't a huge fan of the summit. All the electrical equipment and wires were a bummer. Still gorgeous views and an active osprey nest on starvation ridge

The difficulty rating of this trail is no joke but the view you get at the summit is definitely worth the relentless incline! I completed this hike on May 20th. I ended up starting at the Starvation Creek Trailhead and came down to the Mt. Defiance trailhead. the views along the way to the top were beautiful. Warren Lake was a great spot to stop for a quick food/water break. Shortly after passing Warren Lake, you'll see some trail markers through a short rock field. Once out of the rock field, there's still a significant amount of snow to hike through to the top. The snow made it a little difficult to find the actual trail so we ended up following footprints until we were able to connect with trail 413 up to the Forrest service road that led to the summit. Again, there was still quite a bit of snow so it's best to tread carefully and prepare yourself. The descent was pretty quick and seemed to have less viewpoints to stop at on the way down. This is definitely one of the more challenging hikes in the gorge but worth conquering!

I was getting the summiting bug (05/03/2017) and after completing Mount Adams last May, felt compelled to attempt this. There was still a fair amount of snow and the trail near the summit faded.

Regardless, I took the path to the southwest and am still feeling it today! It's an excellent and quiet training ground for larger cascade summits.

Next weekend weather prevailing, I will attempt Dog Mountain as at the turns of the plethora of switchbacks, it kept catching my eye!