Mount Bailey Trail is a 9.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idleyld Park, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,152 feet Route Type: Out & Back

At the top you'll have an awesome view of Mt. Thielsen over Diamond Lake.

Great hike. The last mile is mostly volcanic rock and cinder. Some minor traversing is already required to cross the snow to reach the summit.

Great hike to summit ridge. The last section is more of a footpath and light scramble to the summit. Views are stunning in all directions!!

Awesome hike found two mushrooms who are all the way to the summit and we took pictures and I whole which was super cool

Yesterday (8/22) no bugs at all until back at the car (6pm) and the day before it rained heavily all over Oregon. I went 3pm to 6pm, 1.5 up, a little less down plus picture time. This was from the upper trailhead, may have been more bugs lower but I didn't have any. The 380 spur was no problem for 2WD if you have a little driving skill, the rocks were not that big, a couple of ruts were easily straddled, and it was basically dry the day after heavy rain. Almost turned into an SAR assist. A woman dislocated her ankle and 4 guys made a great field stretcher and carrier her most of the way down, they were almost at the bottom when I got there. But really it's a pretty easy trail, fantastic views

Hike for us was more like 10 miles for us. The mosquitos are really bad on your way back down in the evening.

Soooo many mosquitos in the first couple of miles. Even with multiple coats of bug spray and layers of clothing, we still got swarmed and covered in bites. But once we made it through that it was a great hike! A couple of snow patches still, but nothing too difficult! Great view from the top and almost no other people the whole hike.

I always love this hike. Difficult enough to get a good workout, but not crazy. Great views of Tbeilsen,Crater Lake etc. lots of mosquitos this time.

Trail was partially covered with snow in upper 1/3, but tracks were made ahead of us. Mosquitoes were voracious in bottom half, even with 100% DEET. The trailhead is not marked by USFS from the snow park, and some vehicles disregarded the “no motor vehicles” signs to create a closer trailhead. A couple of parts from the false summit to the summit have crumbling, unstable rock, so use care. Found many of rusty nails on summit and discovered there was once a fire lookout there that was removed in the 1950s. The window is irreplaceable as a photo op. Bring water, as we were using snow late in the trail when out! Able to see Shasta to the south too.

Great hike! There was still a lot of snow covering the trail as of June 30th, but I was able to pick it back up as I got higher. There are a lot of mosquitos in the lower section so be sure to bring bug spray.

This was a great trail! It ended being about 11.5 miles - partly because there was a let of snow covering the upper third of the trail and we got lost and had to bushwack back to the trail. The first 3 miles is a gradual incline and then the 4th-5th miles ascends much more steeply. We didn't bear left around the crater and did quite a bit of rock scrambling to reach false summit. The top is perfect - you have a perfect 360 degree view. Mt Thielsen can be seen from many vantage points on the way up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CFkqDmXEbc You can see my youtube video on our hike here.

Fri Oct 19 2018

This remains to be my favourite summit hike. The elevation is high, but no high enough for severe altitude sickness. Ridge at the top was my favourite part. Took me 3 hours up and 1h 45min on the way down. It was a beautiful clear day, wore a sweater and a tank top. Sweater only came in handy at the summit. Drank 2 litres of water and a gatorade bottle. Will come back one day.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Bring poles for the top section. It's a great trail that gets more fun as you progress. I recommend climbing fast as this one can be used as an excellent conditioning hike.

Thu Aug 30 2018

Beautiful hike! Went yesterday and then did Mt. Thielsen today. Yesterday the smoke wasn’t as bad so we could see all the way to the Three Sisters. No water on the trail, and a good amount of sun exposure at the top. Bring water and sunscreen! Also, the “scramble” near the top was a three foot ledge to step up onto. It’s a non issue.