Mount Bachelor Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sunriver, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Finished this hike on 6Nov18. An inch of snow where I parked my car (the closed gate near sunrise lodge) and anywhere from 6inches to 2 feet on the route to the top depending on the drift. I did not where snow shoes but they would be needed once the snow starts to add. Recommend crampons. The trail I took to get to the top was guided by the lifts since there was no trail visible with the snow. I started at sunrise lift and followed it up until I got to the next lift which I hand railed to the top. My gps said I walked a total of 10.45 miles but who knows. The view was spectacular up top. Was a bit cloudy over the sisters but cleared in the afternoon. It was interesting to walk a ski route and I definitely felt it! Finished the hike in 4 hours and some change. Overall happy I did the hike.

Garmin InReach tracked this at 5.9 miles. This hike is a great workout, unfortunately it was cloudy and I didn't get to see what the views were like. Scree makes it fun, but I wouldn't recommend this trail for dogs.

I saw some hikers walking up the road at the beginning. Not sure if this was on purpose or they didn't see the trail. There is a trail, it goes to the right and into the woods. Don't take the road, that's lame and not as scenic.

We took the Pine Marten Lift to the PM Lodge, cut across Sunrise to Summit Trail and scrambled to the top. The spectacular views at the top were worth the hike which was definitely “arduous.” It was very rocky (essentially, the hike was entirely on lava rock), exposed, and occasionally quite steep. Trail was fairly easy to follow in spite of very little signage.

We hiked this a few weeks ago, and it was a great experience. It was hazy in the valley and views were limited at the summit, but it was still awesome. It was so fun to point out the runs that we normally see during the snowy season. We read somewhere that the trail is marked by orange flags, but we only saw 2-3 of them tied to the trees. The trail is very well maintained and easy to follow from the Sunrise lift. There were several other people on the trail. We pretty much followed the chairlifts up the entire way. Our group consisted of 4 women and 2 girls-age 7 and 9. The kids did great and stuck with it the entire time. Bring a good supply of water and sunscreen on a warm day. Will definitely do this again!

The actual mileage I tracked was 7 miles, 3.5 up to the summit. Took me about 2 hours to get up to the top at a slower pace and 1.5 down. Was tough but the views are so worth it! The trail was well maintained and marked.

Great strenuous hike. It doesn't have the scenic beauty many of the nearby hikes have, but the payoff at the top is worth the trip. About half of the hike is above the tree line so expect wind. Took about 4 hours round trip.

Excellent hike! Great views of the Cascades! Forest at the beginning, open ski run for part of the middle, eventually getting to some volcanic rock towards the top.

totally awesome. totally kicked my butt. super windy and cold at the top if you go before noon so bring a layer. loved it!!! has everything--forest, desert, and fun rock scramble. took me 2.5 hours.

Starts off pretty moderate but gets tougher once you're past the top of Sunrise. It's also all exposed after then, so pack some sunscreen. There are some loose rocks and soft dirt towards the top, but it's all manageable. The views are stunning and totally worth it!

Great hike with great views, and a nice break from summer temps up top.

As always - a good hike with great views. Glissaded down about 1000 feet. So fun. Total time 5h.

Great hike. Views were worth the pain!

Very beautiful hike. Was a little tricky keeping on trail do to snow cover in some parts but it was still well worth the trip. Make sure to have camera ready because there are so many beautiful sights to record.

Went last summer in early August. Park along highway when lodge is closed and walk up to the trailhead. Beautiful views, still a couple patches of snow to go over near the summit. Had trouble finding trail until near summit so I ended up scrambling up much of the mountain. Was a lot of fun, planning on making this hike a summer tradition!

There is still quite a bit of snow here. You can’t drive to the trailhead as one of the Lodge’s is closed.

Monday, October 09, 2017

Little bit of snow as of 10/6/17. For those who don't know you can park along the highway when the gates are closed as long as you display a NW pass. Trail starts to the right of the ski lift, you'll eventually lose the trail due to snow but as long as the lift is on your right you'll be okay. Follow the trail behind the ski lift to make it to the real summit.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Smokey. hard to see much. steep but nice trail. I'm a slower hiker and it took me 5 hrs. 3.5 up.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Really difficult trail run! Had to run intervals to get to the top. Part of it is a semi-scramble. My dog came and enjoyed it too. Beautiful views from the top!! Took about 2.5 hrs RT hauling it with not many stops.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Slow going as it is very steep but the trail is pretty good through the rocky top mile (not a scramble like some other mountain tops). I usually average 30 minute miles while hiking, but this took me 5 hrs rt. I found my trek poles to be super helpful. Gate to the ski lifts was closed so we parked on the street. No toilets. Great views of Sisters and Broken Top.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Beyond gorgeous. Helpful tips! Park on the street and walk up to the ski lift and that’s where the hike actually starts! Only 3 patches of snow to cross which are very manageable. Was a little rocky and slippery in parts but overall very nice hike! 3 miles up and the way down is fast.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Great views almost the entire way up! Once you get past the timberline it is pretty exposed the entire way, I got VERY burnt. FYI- It's not cold enough at the top to need even a long sleeved shirt. There is a sufficient amount of snow to "butt-sled" on the way down as of 7/23.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

The trail is almost snow free as of 22 July.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

June 13,2017: Tough. For being out of shape and keeping away from the packed snow (intentionally) made for an unforgettable experience. This was my first time hitting the summit of Bachelor, as well as my first time snowshoeing. The 360o view of everything is spectacular. The winds were seriously kicking, to the point that both my little brother and I got nice little burns on our faces. I would highly recommend bringing a bandanna or some sort of face pro. I didn't wear gloves, but for comforts sake, I just may the next time, but it would have been unnecessary, practicality speaking. I only used a single trecking pole and that was sufficient. I certainly wouldn't want to try it without any. Obviously, stay hydrated. Just because it's cold and very windy doesn't mean you don't need to drink water. All in all. Awesome time. See ya next year Oregon.... maybe.

Friday, September 09, 2016

I hiked to the top of Mt Bachelor in early September. The main parking lot was closed -- constructions under way -- and I decided to park at the Tumalo Mountain trailhead instead, which added about 1 mile to the round trip total.

The trail, as the site's track indicates, starts at the South-South-East corned of the parking lot. From there is it pretty much a constant up to the summit.

Tthe first half is rather easy despite the elevation gain. The trail is soft and clear of obstacles, making its way up the slope in the forested areas on the Northern Slope. This section ends after crossing the second service dirt road.

From that point on, the trail becomes progressively more rocky and the switchbacks tighter to navigate the steeper profile of the upper part of the mountains. Trees give way to the classic lava and cinder cone rubble that asks for a more careful foot-placing. There is also a bit of a false summit effect when trying to reach the upper lift structure.

the top itself is a fairly large area with a "mole hills' feeling at a handful or small cones and craters pepper the area. The best views are from the North-Western side where the Sisters, Broken Top are front and center, with the rest of the Cascade peaks in the distance.

For a relatively short climb ( less than 3 miles one way), this one is certainly 'action packed' when it comes to the 360 degree views

Friday, September 09, 2016

Hike to the top of Mt Bachelor in early September. The main parking lot was closed -- constructions under way -- and I decided to park at the Tumalo Mountain trailhead instead, which added about 1 mile to the round trip total.

For a relatively short climb (

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Hiked this with our Apex group on 8/16/16. This nice views at the top. Not too difficult , a little scrambling close to the top. Back down to the road and hiked the road over to the lodge, got a snack, watched the mountain bikers then rode the lift down. Great hike

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Great hike with awesome views at the top! A little tough because of the loose ground in spots but overall a good one. Took 3 hours round trip with about 15 minutes at the top!

Friday, May 27, 2016

Slightly more difficult than we thought it would be, because finding the trailhead wasn't as easy as the instructions we were given. That said, it's a great hike. Great views and fun terrain.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Great hike - sadly low cloud covered a lot of the view , but still a good hike.

Monday, August 03, 2015

Fun trail with amazing views from the top.