Learn more

Mount Bachelor Trail is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bend, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,595 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

There is still a lot of snow, I would definitely recommend poles. Great views, beautiful hike.

Still lots of snow in late June. There are many places to climb up on the scree and some parts of the trail are uncovered which is what we did most of the time, but in hindsight the best route is to use micro spikes and trekking poles and climb the snow. Bring a garbage bag and/or ski/rain pants to help you glissade down more smoothly if going while there’s still plenty of snow. The views as far north to Mt. Adams and south to Mt. Shasta are amazing. Great hike. The rewards and views of an alpine summit with half the work.

Basically park at the entrance off the Hwy, walk to the Sunshine Lift and head up Marshmallow ski trail that takes you to base of Summit Chair. From there straight up the hill on mix of snow and rock/gravel. Start early to beat the heat and enjoy the cool morning air.

skiing

This trail f***ed me up. I have a bruised butt and hip from this one because the snow drop coming down literally murdered me. Thanks to off trail for allowing us to see the trail because we had to follow the service road.

Followed instructions on the website for Bachelor and parked/started in West Village. My Garmin Instinct had 3.7miles to the summit from West Village. Summit in 1hr56min. Highly recommend footwear w/ ankle protection. Good hike and great views at the top, not a cloud in the sky.

first summit, almost had to 127 hours my ass out of there. truly thought i would be stuck on this mountain forever. simultaneously 0/10 and 10/10

The parking lot and area is closed for construction. We went during the week so we couldn’t just park on the road. We parked in another area and there was a route up but it was a ski road- just not pleasant. Could hear the construction all the way up. Took us 3.5 hours.

Due to the construction at Sunrise we started from the other lodge, the gift shop has maps of an adjusted route and they strongly discourage taking the original route. However, the trail they recommended was definitely a makeshift solution. Starts out walking near the lifts in sand until it leads you to a dirt road. It meets up with the original trail after a mile. Also I recommend leaving early for this hike, when we reached the summit at around 2 an afternoon thunderstorm appeared out of nowhere. Even with the stress of trying to escape the thunder it was an amazing hike.

Difficult climb due to elevation gain. Beautiful views of the Cascades! No issues with snow.

Sunrise parking lot was closed but you can park at the snopark across the highway or some people were parked along the highway. It was a little difficult finding the small brown sign marking the trail, but once you're on it it is easy to follow. A few patches of snow remain on the trail but it's possible to do without traction or poles, though they would be helpful in the morning. Overall a really nice trail which is relatively short with a great payoff.

Minor patches of snow in 4 or 5 sections to either dodge or follow bootpack, but the trail is well defined all the way to the top right now. Poles and/or spikes might be a good idea. Definitely still doable without either if that’s not your thing. No mozzies (today at least).

Tue Jun 11 2019

Lots of snow, some deep. No trail to follow, not advisable.

Fri Apr 19 2019

Summer Trail only. Was told by Ski Patrol that climbing up without skis to ski down wasn’t allow til summer but that’s still only allowed on the winter climb route.

Thu Nov 08 2018

Finished this hike on 6Nov18. An inch of snow where I parked my car (the closed gate near sunrise lodge) and anywhere from 6inches to 2 feet on the route to the top depending on the drift. I did not where snow shoes but they would be needed once the snow starts to add. Recommend crampons. The trail I took to get to the top was guided by the lifts since there was no trail visible with the snow. I started at sunrise lift and followed it up until I got to the next lift which I hand railed to the top. My gps said I walked a total of 10.45 miles but who knows. The view was spectacular up top. Was a bit cloudy over the sisters but cleared in the afternoon. It was interesting to walk a ski route and I definitely felt it! Finished the hike in 4 hours and some change. Overall happy I did the hike.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Garmin InReach tracked this at 5.9 miles. This hike is a great workout, unfortunately it was cloudy and I didn't get to see what the views were like. Scree makes it fun, but I wouldn't recommend this trail for dogs. I saw some hikers walking up the road at the beginning. Not sure if this was on purpose or they didn't see the trail. There is a trail, it goes to the right and into the woods. Don't take the road, that's lame and not as scenic.

Sat Sep 15 2018

We took the Pine Marten Lift to the PM Lodge, cut across Sunrise to Summit Trail and scrambled to the top. The spectacular views at the top were worth the hike which was definitely “arduous.” It was very rocky (essentially, the hike was entirely on lava rock), exposed, and occasionally quite steep. Trail was fairly easy to follow in spite of very little signage.