Moraine Lake Trail

Moraine Lake Trail is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bend, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,473 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Bend: Travel 26.7 miles west on Cascade Lakes Highway (46) to the Green Lakes Trailhead and follow the Green Lake Trail to its junction with the Moraine Lake trail.

So, I am NOT an experienced hiker whatsoever. I like in KY and hike (basically) hills compared to this. But I still did it!! I didn’t think I would need trail shoes... I definitely did. I slipped and slid all over the place. The mosquitoes were INSANE. I thought I needed to see a doctor the day after the hike because of all the bites. But for some reason, my sister only had three bites. So, that might be a thing specific to only me lol. Otherwise, this trail was gorgeous and the view of broken top and south sister was stunning. I definitely recommend it. Bring bug spray. DEET IS ESSENTIAL LOL. The spray without deet left my body absolutely covered in bites head to toe.

Dope

It's such great pay off at the end of a lackluster and steep hike. When you top out onto the plateau where the lake is, it's open and exposed with an amazing view of Broken Top and South Sister. I feel so isolated and in another world when I'm up there. Also, this place is much prettier with snow.

Fantastic backpacking trip!! Super snow fall for this early in the season. Campsites seem to be under construction. But was able to get one and stayed the night. Explored the surrounding trails the whole next day. Beautiful views. Super cold at night, but sunny and warm during the day. The trail to the lake is mainly uphill. Lots of incline and downhill most of the way down. Prepare to get wet shoes lots of slushy snow and some packed ice. Bring spikes or traction shoes if you plan on doing South Sister. Pretty and worth the trip.

Hiked the last week of September. The steep uphill kicked my low-elevation MN lungs’ butt, but the whole hike was 100% worth it. We hiked this in the rain and some parts of the rocky trail were a bit slippery in the way down. Gorgeous views from the top, even in the rain and fog. Hiked over 50 miles of trail on a recent trip to Oregon and this trail stands out above others, really enjoyed it!!

I probably would not have gone to this lake as a destination but it was a godsend to have a cold lake nearby after summiting South Sister. I highly recommend soaking your feet and checking out all the cool geology (I.e. cool rocks galore) when you’re there. I took a two hour nap while my socks dried from a very snowy wet summit descent and it was 1000% worth it. WOULD RECOMMEND FOR CAMPING!!! Then summit South Sister :-)

This hike was a lot of fun, but very crowded. We had to park on the highway and we arrived a little after 9am, which added about a half mile onto the hike. Stunning views of South Sister & Broken Top. Moraine Lake is a nice spot to rest and have lunch while enjoying the amazing scenery. Next time we'll leave the dog at home and hike to the top of S Sister. Speaking of dogs--they are allowed off leash starting 9/15. Also not a single mosquito.

The trail is every bit of difficult as advertised. Left the trailhead at 440 am and got to the summit at 930 am, beautiful views could see all the way to St Helens. Used microspikes once hit the snow line and definitely made it easier tho they weren’t necessary. Tons of traffic coming up as we were making our way back down. Took a detour and hung out at Moraine lake for an hour and iced our ankles in the cool water. Hitting the trail early definitely made it easier avoiding the foot traffic and the exposure of the sun. The red mile from hell is about as steep a climb as you can find, bite down on your mouth piece and enjoy!

I enjoyed this trail more than I expected to. It was definitely a challenge for the first mile. The last mile was a bit eerie to me, because I was the only one on the trail and it was extremely quiet. I also didn’t realize I would be so close to the South Sister. I will do the hike again on a clear day and go all the way to the South Sister.

I couldn’t quite make it to the top before dark, but the trail was great! Very much uphill, so be ready for a workout. Passed quite a few people as well. Also if you follow the directions on how to get there, the app takes you to a campground to park, but really you can just park on the gravel strip along the road at the beginning of the trail head.

A steep walk but no scrambling, loose footing in places. Take the short trail to the ridge S of the lake for a superb view.

Fun hike. 7.5 miles with South Sister Trail. Steep climb up out of lakeside. Mosquitos not bad as we used wipes before we left trailhead. Everyone so friendly and cheerful. Lots of loose dirt/gravel at places. No snow covering the trail and only small patches right off of trail. Open at top so got pretty hot at times.

One of the best hikes in the area. Steep climb but worth it for breathtaking views of South Sister.

Hiked this afternoon as a 7.5 mile loop going up South Sister Trail amd returing via Moraine Lake Trail. Encountered. a few patches of snow on trail but it was soft and easily crossed. Lots of snow patches off trail so bring the bug spray!

One of my favorite trails! Mosquitos are relentless right now but bug spray kept us mostly protected. There are still significant patches of snow, but it’s totally doable in normal shoes. I wore my zero gravity trail runners and had no problems crossing the patches.

We attempted this today via Elks lake-Devil's trail to Moraine lake trail. We hit snow within 1 mile but it was negotiable. At about 4500 ft we hit our first heavier patches of snow. At 5400 ft. we hit snow fields that would have been impossible to negotiate without this app and gPS. More snow expected. We did not have Crampons, it would have made trek easier, but not finding trail. We turned around at 5800 ft. with 1.5 miles to Moraine lake. This review is NOT about the route noted on this listing, but an alternate way up. Just be careful out there folks.

hiked the trail above the lake. I was using hiking shoes and yak tracks with hiking pole. beautiful fun day

June 22 hike was bust. Still too much snow. Bring crampons or a walking stick. Only made it a mile up and never did get out of forest.

We did this in September 2017 and it was great. Two weekends ago - not so much. So much snow - lots of scrambling uphill. Where there wasn't snow, there were a lot of mosquitoes. Beautiful trail - but wait until later in the summer.

Hiked this one on 6/8. Still plenty of snow on the trail and the lake was frozen over. Good boots and some poles recommended. Crampons would be helpful at points. Still a very fun hike. The area around the lake looked beautiful blanketed in snow, although most of it will likely melt in the next couple weeks.

So much snow on the trail that I had a hard time determining the path. My AllTrails phone app saved me from getting lost. Beautiful hike Mosquitos at the trailhead.