Learn more

Moraine Lake Trail is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bend, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.1 mi Elevation gain 1,473 ft Route type Out & Back

Snow

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Travel Oregon, 670 Hawthorne St, Suite 240 , Salem, OR, 97301, Phone: 800-547-7842

Directions from Bend: Travel 26.7 miles west on Cascade Lakes Highway (46) to the Green Lakes Trailhead and follow the Green Lake Trail to its junction with the Moraine Lake trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (167)
Photos (239)
Recordings (131)
Completed (350)
Taylor Koll
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2020
HikingBugs

easy / moderate. first stretch is pretty steep but doable. very small amt of snow, wouldn't worry about it. went on a sunday, no issue parking at devils lake parking lot (they take card which is nice). Great hike.

View Taylor's Recording
Madeline Staiger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 11 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail with a great view of sisters!

View Madeline's Recording
Meg Watkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
HikingBugs

Steep with rocky sections. Still had a few snow patches but nothing that required traction. The mosquitos were out in droves and didn’t seem to mind my bug repellent. It took me just over an hour to get to my campsite from Devils lake parking lot.

View Meg's Recording
Chad Hodges
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 09 2020
HikingBugs

I’ve been on this trial before. But not for a few years.. it’s tougher than sounds. Took me and my dog about 2.5 hours to get up to the lake. Better bring your bug spray the Mosquitoes will try and pack u off lol. Going through the woods. Just small patches of snow. But the trail is mostly clear all the way up,

Brian Losher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
HikingSnow

This is a great trail. There's still some snow on the trail, but nothing terrible. It's a steady incline to the top. There's not many breaks. I'd recommended going the half mile farther toward South Sister to get an overlook view of the lake.

View Brian's Recording
Paul Arthur
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingSnow

Great trail. Snow on trail about 1.1 mile in. A decent amount of snow at top by lake. All easily doable in trail runners. Being July 4th and a Saturday it had moderate traffic. Views are amazing

Allegra K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingSnow

GORGEOUS views of south sister. Totally worth it. Not too crowded. There were still snow drifts on the trail and leading to the lake. But good hiking boots were fine- no cramp ons needed. Hiking poles would be a good idea if you are a little out of shape or worried about slipping.

Anson Gist
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 02 2020
View Anson's Recording
Ethan Wolf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingSnow

Hiked on Monday, July 29th and it was absolutely stunning. While there was a bit of snow, it wasn't anything one cannot manage, I don't think. I would highly recommend the loop as well as there is a wonderful clearing on the western side of the Kaleetan butte which was probably my favorite part. At this time, there were no bugs and the trail was relatively clear (save for the snow!).

Anson Gist
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 10 2020
HikingMuddyRockySnow

Trail was snowy but awesome! Hit steady snow about half a mile in and would have been able to push on had it not started to rain and hail on me. Trail is steep but short. Can’t wait to try again!

View Anson's Recording
Michael Morag
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 02 2020
HikingIcySnow

Beautiful hike with great views of south sister and bachelor from the top. Right now it’s almost completely covered in snow with the lake totally frozen over. Would highly recommend snow shoes/ crampons.

View Michael's Recording
Jessica Reynoso
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 01 2020
HikingSnow

Awesome trail. A lot of snow still but well-marked with sticks in the snow. Stunning views and very few people on a Sunday.

Ted Cook
Hiking

Hey Jessica...can you tell me how you managed parking? was the Devils Lake TH clear of enough snow you could pull off there? And for the trail, you said marked pretty well...how deep was the snow up to the lake? thanks, Ted

Kallie Kibler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Nov 30 2019
HikingBugsScrambleSnow

So, I am NOT an experienced hiker whatsoever. I like in KY and hike (basically) hills compared to this. But I still did it!! I didn’t think I would need trail shoes... I definitely did. I slipped and slid all over the place. The mosquitoes were INSANE. I thought I needed to see a doctor the day after the hike because of all the bites. But for some reason, my sister only had three bites. So, that might be a thing specific to only me lol. Otherwise, this trail was gorgeous and the view of broken top and south sister was stunning. I definitely recommend it. Bring bug spray. DEET IS ESSENTIAL LOL. The spray without deet left my body absolutely covered in bites head to toe.

Brandon Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Nov 10 2019

Dope

View Brandon's Recording
Kett McKenna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 23 2019
HikingSnow

It's such great pay off at the end of a lackluster and steep hike. When you top out onto the plateau where the lake is, it's open and exposed with an amazing view of Broken Top and South Sister. I feel so isolated and in another world when I'm up there. Also, this place is much prettier with snow.

Kallie Kibler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 13 2019
HikingBugsSnow
Michael Hamreus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Oct 07 2019
HikingSnow

Fantastic backpacking trip!! Super snow fall for this early in the season. Campsites seem to be under construction. But was able to get one and stayed the night. Explored the surrounding trails the whole next day. Beautiful views. Super cold at night, but sunny and warm during the day. The trail to the lake is mainly uphill. Lots of incline and downhill most of the way down. Prepare to get wet shoes lots of slushy snow and some packed ice. Bring spikes or traction shoes if you plan on doing South Sister. Pretty and worth the trip.

Michelle Reitan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Oct 04 2019
Hiking

Hiked the last week of September. The steep uphill kicked my low-elevation MN lungs’ butt, but the whole hike was 100% worth it. We hiked this in the rain and some parts of the rocky trail were a bit slippery in the way down. Gorgeous views from the top, even in the rain and fog. Hiked over 50 miles of trail on a recent trip to Oregon and this trail stands out above others, really enjoyed it!!

Stacy Albin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 22 2019
HikingNo shade

I probably would not have gone to this lake as a destination but it was a godsend to have a cold lake nearby after summiting South Sister. I highly recommend soaking your feet and checking out all the cool geology (I.e. cool rocks galore) when you’re there. I took a two hour nap while my socks dried from a very snowy wet summit descent and it was 1000% worth it. WOULD RECOMMEND FOR CAMPING!!! Then summit South Sister :-)

Nate InTheWoods
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 21 2019
Hiking

This hike was a lot of fun, but very crowded. We had to park on the highway and we arrived a little after 9am, which added about a half mile onto the hike. Stunning views of South Sister & Broken Top. Moraine Lake is a nice spot to rest and have lunch while enjoying the amazing scenery. Next time we'll leave the dog at home and hike to the top of S Sister. Speaking of dogs--they are allowed off leash starting 9/15. Also not a single mosquito.

Dominic Fulgieri
HikingSnow

The trail is every bit of difficult as advertised. Left the trailhead at 440 am and got to the summit at 930 am, beautiful views could see all the way to St Helens. Used microspikes once hit the snow line and definitely made it easier tho they weren’t necessary. Tons of traffic coming up as we were making our way back down. Took a detour and hung out at Moraine lake for an hour and iced our ankles in the cool water. Hitting the trail early definitely made it easier avoiding the foot traffic and the exposure of the sun. The red mile from hell is about as steep a climb as you can find, bite down on your mouth piece and enjoy!

View Dominic's Recording
Cory Sparks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 09 2019
Hiking

I enjoyed this trail more than I expected to. It was definitely a challenge for the first mile. The last mile was a bit eerie to me, because I was the only one on the trail and it was extremely quiet. I also didn’t realize I would be so close to the South Sister. I will do the hike again on a clear day and go all the way to the South Sister.

Emily Gardner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 20 2019
Hiking

I couldn’t quite make it to the top before dark, but the trail was great! Very much uphill, so be ready for a workout. Passed quite a few people as well. Also if you follow the directions on how to get there, the app takes you to a campground to park, but really you can just park on the gravel strip along the road at the beginning of the trail head.

View Emily's Recording