Moraine Lake Trail

Moraine Lake Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sunriver, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Bend: Travel 26.7 miles west on Cascade Lakes Highway (46) to the Green Lakes Trailhead and follow the Green Lake Trail to its junction with the Moraine Lake trail.

Camped at Moraine Lake after the first snow. The trail was steep and well packed until first sight of South Sister. At that point, snowshoes would have helped as every other step broke through the 2+ feet of snow. Extraordinary sunrise view of South Sister. Trail coming down was difficult where packed snow had turned to ice.

Quite steep throughout the ascent. But worth the sweat when you crest to see the lake. Water was crystal clear and was too inviting to not take a dip. I'm out of shape and this was a fairly serious challenge for me. You young bucks won't have much problem however. Nice camping spots if you decide to pack in the overnight gear and some epic views to take in when you get settled.

Beautiful clear lake on a breezy sunny day. This was a great trail; a bit strenuous but well maintained. Bring water or fill up at the bottom.

Hike is moderate to difficult depending on your activity level. Very few flowers at this point in the summer. Views were nice but not awe inspiring. Took Wickiup trail down which took a lot longer and was much less steep. Might be a good way to descend for those with bad knees.

Parking was busy. Nice and cool in the mountains, only about 76 this past Saturday. Hike is about 3 miles up and up. Mostly covered, mosquitoes are out big time so definitely bring bug spray. Still hard packed snow along the way so a few slippery spots but nothing impassible. Dog loved it! Don't recommend for those with joint issues, I workout regularly and my knees hurt the next day! Have fun!

Good place to enjoy lunch. A couple places the trail is covered with snow, nothing too bad. Mosquitoes are now out in force.

great views. still has hardpack snow. but worth the trip.

Fun little hike right now, the trail is hard to find because of the snow that is still up there. Mosquitoes are not super bad but are around. Lake is currently covered in snow and frozen over.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

June 2016... LOTS OF SNOW! Trail can be difficult to find thru snow but just follow to crest & you are rewarded with a beautiful clearing & spectacular view of Broken Top, South Sister !!!
Lake was frozen over! Absolutely breathtaking!

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Lots of little waterfalls to see at the beginning. Dogs love it if they are fit.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

I have been to Green Lakes so many times I decided to make the left hand turn to Moraine Lake and am glad I did. The trail is easy and you are rewarded with the lake. I had some food from my backpack there sitting on a log next to the water. After lunch I headed up the south sister trail.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

OK, admittably by Oregon standards I am a lightweight. Getting there was OK, exhausting... But OK. Amazing view. So much snow at this time of the year. Getting down however was miserable for me, slippery and very steep in spots. We backpacked, great spot once you get there.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

This was a tough one for me coming back down. Lots of tree roots, steep terrain and really tired legs! Views are wonderful. Take snacks and sun screen.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I was exploring all day and came across this trail head and decided why not? It was a warm day at the base of the mountain, but as you ascend into the trees and along the beautiful creek, it gets chilly and there was snow almost up to my knee. I was one of only five people out there, and after getting to top and looking down on Moraine Lake was so beautiful. I stayed and ate and then noticed a dog coming to me, I decided it was time to go down at this point but since there was so much snow I could barely find my way back. The dog helped me half way down mountain running with me, till a whistle came and dog ran away. Awesome beautiful hike.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

It's a hard, high altitude hike that takes you into one of the most beautiful areas in the cascade mountains, if you continue straight you will summit south sister, continue east and you will end up at moraine lake and eventually the green lakes, head west and you will go to wickiup plains. The pumice plain is a pristine alpine area with great views of broken top, Mt. Bachelor and south sister. On a clear day you can see the rim of Crater Lake. Not for inexperienced or unfit hikers.

Monday, September 26, 2016