Moon Falls Trail

Moon Falls Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Oakridge, Oregon that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Cottage Grove: From Cottage Grove Ranger Station, 29 miles. Take Row River Road #2400 east 17 miles to Road #17. Turn left (northeast) on Layng Creek Road 17 and continue for 8.8 miles to Road #1790. Continue to right on Road #1790 and travel for 0.25 miles to Road #l702. Turn left on 1702 and travel for 2.8 miles to Road #1702-728. Turn right on Road #1702-728 and continue for 0.3 miles, turning left on spur Road #1702-203 and continue to the end. The Moonfalls Trail begins at the water bar and continues to follow this spur road to the end. The trailhead is undeveloped with no water and parking available for 2 vehicles.

not muddy or heavily trafficked. nice trail with a gorgeous fall at the end.

If coming in from the Hwy 58 side the entrance to the trail is not quite where the GPS takes you, but keep looking around and you will find it! Great little hike with beautiful falls. Watch out for people with dogs off their leashes. the trail is narrow at spots and you can't see up ahead. We encountered dogs running ahead of their owners and the dogs were not friendly.

Went on this hike couple days ago and it was absolutely beautiful! The hike was easy, but a little difficult to get to. Definitely worth the bit of confusion to find it!

easy hike. not much for waterfalls in the late summer. Will be coming back when the rain has had a chance to fill the waters back up again.

Part of a series of 3 closely spaced waterfall trail heads. Not the easiest to get to but 3 unique and different waterfalls that we had to ourselves on a fall weekday made it worth the effort. Trails are very well maintained and even with a dry summer all had decent flow. Dense canopy makes for a nice hike in hot weather. Not strenuous but steep for short periods in places.

Moon Falls is a nice, easy hike. It's not as pretty as the other falls around it and it's more difficult to get to the actual waterfall here but that makes it fun to climb it. Lovely drive through the forest and not heavily trafficked. I will be returning! My dog loves it to!

A gorgeous waterfall crowning the trail, worth hiking! Tallest of the three in the area, though not well visible from afar. For this reason, Spirit falls look better to me.

Good, easy hike. Beautiful falls! Beware of the mosquitos along the trail though. They were pretty bad!

This was a fun, easy, & beautiful hike! It was a bit muddy the day we went (5/17) but doable! The waterfall is breathtaking with so much to take in! Definitely recommended.

...of the three in this area this was my favorite. The walk is the easiest and the falls.....wow! Pictures really can't do the one justice.

Maybe it was the break from rain, but this was a beautiful hike! Easy for my 4 year old-

A great hike and completely worth making it to the end.

Absolutely beautiful!!! Loved it..... if you go in the winter time wear boots the trail gets quite muddy in some spots.

I waited 2 weeks and all the snow was gone, of a
the 3 falls up there I like this one the most.

Can't really say I got there, because of the road was still snow covered, I thought I better not risk it.

I had to park an extra mile away from the trailhead due to the snow. Overall- totally worth it!! Lovely trail and beautiful falls at the end. Completed on 1/29/17

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Got soooo lost trying to find it. There's literally ONE sign that directs you toward moonfalls. Finally found it and all I could do was laugh as to not be so upset. It more like water falling down a hill instead of a waterfall! I've posted my pics. Wish I could've seen it when it was raging water like in some of the other pics!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

The trail is very short for the amount of driving to get there, but I loved this waterfall. The narrow gravel road makes the drive take longer than I anticipated. I would plan for this to take most of the day if your coming from Eugene to see all three falls.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Lovely trail tiny bit muddy in March but otherwise very easy if you cross before the fall there's a trail that you can take up the side of the fall and see the top

Monday, April 21, 2014

Of the three waterfall hikes in the area: Moon Falls, Spirit Falls and Pinard Falls, This one is the easiest. The trail is fairly level and well maintained. A great hike for the kids. Note my track as the trailhead is off the main road 0.3 miles, but well marked once you get there.