Learn more

Moon Falls Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Oakridge, Oregon that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 101 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Users have reported that there are currently road closures in the area when coming from the west along Row River Rd and Laying Creek Rd.

There was a tree down on the road that increased the trail by 500 feet at the most. There's a trail behind the big tree to get around it. It was muddy but overall a nice hike to a beautiful fall. Definitely worth all the sliding around.

This was my second time visiting this very amazing waterfall, main reason for the second visit was to capture it in a video which can be seen on my YouTube channel “Oregon Water Wonders”.. if anyone is interested.. There are still a lot of downed trees blocking roads to moon falls, spirt falls, and Pinyard falls.. so to hopefully save some frustration the only clear road we found to these falls was by taking forest road 5840 to 17, when you get to the junction with the bathroom on the right hand side of the road on FR 17, take a left for a mile or so then you will see a sign telling you to turn left for moon falls trail head.. which is another 3 miles from there.. enjoy and happy waterfalling :)

Great easy hike to beautiful waterfall - we did pinard falls and then moon falls and it was perfect. Wonderful sunny day in the PNW !

We went up hwy 58 to Patterson mountain road (5840) to 1714 and started cutting the fallen trees until we got to a massive tree that I didn’t wanna die from cutting. So right now the only access by car is from row river side. Otherwise you can hike 5 miles down the road to get there.

This hike is so special. We’ve been trying to get to it for over a year now but the storms last year kept us from reaching it. Now - finally! - we got to see this stunning waterfall. The hike itself is straightforward and easy but very muddy!! Come prepared with boots that can handle mud. We hike with a 6-year-old and a 5-year-old and if they weren’t wearing their awesome rain croc boots we would have been in deep trouble! The waterfall is stunning - many little falls cascading down lush mossy rocks. I mean... you just can’t see this anywhere else really but Oregon. This is one of those truly quintessential Oregon falls. There’s a picnic table right next to the falls that you can stop and have a nice lunch at. The boys loved to play in the gorgeous river below too. Lots of pond skimmers, and pretty rocks to collect. Definitely do all three falls while you’re here - Pinard, Spirit and Moon - as they are all short hikes and each unique. Lots of beautiful wildflowers this time of year too! These falls are best in the spring in my opinion - muddy trails, but full gorgeous falls.

went on this hike with my 4 year old and a couple other people. The Trail itself had lots of trees on the road, but there was 2 very nice gentlemen in the middle 20s early 30s that were so kind on their own time using their chainsaw to try and cut down as much of the trees and branches in the way as possible. It only became challenging when the big tree that uprooted was in the way. so be aware....this trail may take quite some time to be cleaned up.

As of 4/8/20 the roads to get to the trails have been cleared, but you have to take specific roads to get to the actual trailheads. We drove around for hours trying to find a way there, so let me save you some time.. Assuming you are coming from Hwy 58 (I guess it depends on which direction you are driving from), there are several forest service roads you can take that will supposedly get you to the trailheads. Right now there was only one path that was not blocked off by fallen trees. Off of Hwy 58, you need to take Forest Service Road 5840 for about 5 miles, this turns into Laying Creek rd for half a mile, then you continue on Forest Service rd 17 for about the remainder of the drive. You can get to Spirit Falls, Moon Falls, and Pinard Falls all from this area. The roads have been cleared of fallen trees and there is almost no snow anywhere, it is however, very muddy.. The falls were awesome and are very full. Good luck, be safe, and keep 6 feet apart!

My husband and dog and I hiked this today. It was absolutely gorgeous! There are still downed trees, and lots of them. There was almost no snow left. We were able to park about a quarter mile away from the trailhead. The extra hike was nice anyway. We were fortunate enough to make it to the falls. There was an older couple who weren’t able to make it the whole way due to an uprooted tree blocking the trail partway in. We were able to shimmy around it but not everyone could. There were lots of other smaller trees so it did feel a bit like doing hurdles throughout the hike. It was well worth it though. The falls are incredible.

Very large trees are still down about .5 miles from the trail head. About an inch of snow or so as well as of yesterday. Still a beautiful drive though!

Downed trees block the road about a mile from the trailhead as of 2/1/20. This area sustained heavy damage from the winter storms. I walked to the trailhead, then to the falls, and made my way over or around about 50 downed trees that blocked the road and trail. The falls were raging and beautiful. There’s also a little bit of snow covering the road near the first blockage, but the rest of the road and trail are pretty much snow free.

Beautiful hike but don't follow google maps out there. It tooks up 58 and all over the mountain. We found some people up there and they told me of a much easier way and you end up out on laying creek road

Loved it! Zero people when I went. Small park area, short hike, really pretty waterfalls :) I wish I can come when it’s no so dry :)

My wife and I tried to get to this trail back in January, but we hit the snow line and had to turn back. I was anxious all year about getting back, but I intentionally waited for fall so that the rain would come back and fill out the waterfall nicely. The wait was worth it! Moon Falls is like something out of a fairy tale. We stayed and took in the sights for about an hour. The drive there can feel a bit harrowing on potholed and twig covered forest roads, but we were driving in a honda civic. I'm sure a bigger vehicle would have no trouble. The trail to the falls is not very difficult, but at the moment it is very muddy and slick, and there is a steep drop off next to the trail, so watch your step.

Google maps put is above the trail but continue down the road and follow signs left to trail(coming from Eugene) . The trail head is marked and has a picnic table. The trail to the falls is short and somewhat Rocky but easily managed by my 8 year old and wife. The falls also feature a picnic table. Some mosquitoes present but not enough to ruin the experience. NO BATHROOMS. Parking lot is fairly small but this spot seems uncrowded. The falls were small at this time of year but nice and peaceful. No sounds of traffic. No cell service.

Very beautiful hike with a smaller but definitely worth seeing waterfall. Generally pretty easy and wasn’t busy on a Saturday at all. Recommend seeing Spirit and Pinard Falls while in the area. (All hikes are similar distance and level.)

pretty view but not worth the hour drive in the forrest also very steep hills and narrow pathways

Great trail! We hiked Pinard and Spirit Falls today also. Kiddos enjoyed all the trails and each waterfall is very different. Looking forward to going again when the water is flowing more.

Mon Jul 01 2019

Nice easy hike, kids had a great time. Definitely recommend hiking up and getting the close up views!

Mon Jun 24 2019

My kids love this trail! There is a picnic table at the beginning and end so feel free to pack a lunch. My kids would stay at this fall having a blast all day

Mon Jun 03 2019

All three of these falls are within a mile of each other. They're all pretty easy to get to now that the roads are open.

Thu May 30 2019

Relatively easy. However, you can also climb up to be closer to the falls and I so recommend it!

Tue May 21 2019

The road is now currently open. Great little hike to An amazing waterfall! Will definitely be coming back. The road there does get narrow and have fallen branches off to the side but definitely passable!

Sun Apr 28 2019

nice trail but only a trickle on Labor day weekend

Sat Mar 30 2019

road closed still about halfway up ‘laying creek rd’ from the south (coming from the west using row river rd)