Mitchell Point Trail

Mitchell Point Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hood River, Oregon that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Nice mix of forested trail and open, sun-exposed trail. Yes, it’s steep! Be ready for a calf/ham-string workout. I recommend good hiking shoes/boots and plenty of water. It’s early July and the trail was often DENSE with poison oak, so do be aware of that. Reminded me a bit of Angel’s Rest, with similarly rewarding views and a nice breeze at the top. It’s a great hike for a quick and intense outing (I suggest getting lunch afterward at Double Mountain or Pfriem in Hood River).

Pretty path, however pretty steep and it was very rocky about half the time. Walking stick recommended. Gorgeous view once you’ve reached the peak.

steeper than you think. watch out for extreamly heathy poison oak on the side of the trail.

This hike is rated as moderate because of the length but some of the switchbacks are very steep, and require you to go uphill through gravel/jagged rocks. It’s a beautiful pay off though!

6/16/18
The top has great views of the gorge. My sister and I did this hike around 7pm and we had the trail to ourselves. Careful walking across the rocks, and the grasses under the power lines are pretty overgrown (but you can still see the path).

Careful with loose rocks. Great hike.

Hike is now open. Steep uphill, couple spots with rock scree, great workout. Amazing view of the Gorge from the top.

Short hike right next to I-84. Hiking to Mitchell Point is well worth the stop, the views from the top are incredible. Very steep climb, it will definitely get your heart pumping. Took my wife, dog, and I about an hour to make the round trip.

We did this June 1st, a sunset hike. It was absolutely stunning! There are a few rocky parts that can be a little slippery, recommend wearing hiking shoes/boots. Really easy to get to off I-84. We did this driving from WA. A perfect leg stretcher and we got some amazing photos! Definitely recommend! Did seem a little longer than 1 mile tho. Forgot to map it.

Really enjoyed this short and sweet hike mid-May. It is a relatively steep uphill climb most of the way and does get rather rocky at points, but the views are so worth it!

Great lookout. Short and steep. Super easy access off of highway 84.

This hike is on the hard side of moderate. Please note that there are steep inclines, a chunk of the trail is loose rock (and slippery), and there’s poison oak along the narrow trail. BUT when you get to the top, the view is stunning. And the previous reviewer is correct - when coming down, if you’re debating if you’re on the trail, then you’re not, doubleback and you’ll see the missed turn.

This was an absolutely beautiful hike! The route is unclear at one point because of some rock fall (?) and if you miss the turn the path deteriorates a bit and leads you up a very steep incline. If you’re questioning if you’re still on the path, you aren’t. The actual path is very clear and well maintained, if rocky through some sections. Go back and look for the turn off. The view at the end is stunning.

Good hike but steep over lots of loose rock. Beware of ticks and poison oak.

Hiked May 11: well marked trail, wear hiking boots/shoes because sections of trail have large pit run rocks. This is not moderate- should be rated hard. It’s quite steep within a short distance. A few old growth trees, wildflowers and stunning gorge views at the top. Bathrooms at trailhead, plenty of parking too.

For a “vacation hiker” without proper hiking equipment, this is On the tougher side of moderate. At points, scaling completely loose rock. Lots of loose gravel in other parts. Steep incline at the summit, not bad to go up, but loose gravel on the way down. Awesome view and great hike - just wish we hadn’t been wearing sneakers. It’s a cardio hike on the way up. We loved it but we thought we should leave a review as we under estimated this trail from previous reviews!

Trail was tougher than we anticipated, but definitely worth it. My pup did great on the way up, but was nervous in the areas with slippery rip rap on the way down.. I might have been a little nervous, too.

Great cardio workout. Often windy on top but it is refreshing on a hot day. One of my favorites in the gorge.

The trail is sometimes ambiguous and has some rock slides covering some trail portions. The view is good however. The trail is moderately steep and moderately muddy.

Mitchell Point is officially open as of Sunday, April 1st, 2018.

Also there are a ton of bugs at the summit.

Finally got to go back on Monday 4/9/18 and it was gorgeous, the trail is in prime condition! No closed sign on freeway exit, bathrooms are open and plenty of people enjoying this beautiful trail!

Good hike but my knees felt it on the initial descent.

Friday, July 21, 2017

A quick, but heart pumping hike! Good to fit in on your drive along the Gorge. Nothing really to see until you get to the top. Don't underestimate it like I did and wear Chacos! Going down it's too steep and lots of lose dirt and little rocks to slip on!

Monday, July 17, 2017

Fun little hike to stretch your legs on your drive through the gorge!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Trail was well maintained and the grade was more reasonable than I expected. Some riprap used to stabilize erosion on the trail can be tricky. The wind was extra strong in the Gorge during this hike. I was solo and concerned about my general lack of balance added with the wind, so I wasn't able to summit. I turned around about 30yds from the tippy top. Even at this distance I could tell the view was outstanding. Will definitely be back to try again on a less blustery day!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

such an amazing trail! Felt like Lara Croft climbing over rocks and tree chunks. The worse part was probably the ticks....so many ticks
but definitely worth it!!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Absolutely great hike, intense climb but well worth it in the end

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Short, tough, great views.

Friday, May 19, 2017

great and challenging quick trail! make sure to wear sturdy shoes - the trail is very rocky and can be slippery. beautiful views and definitely worth doing!