Misery Ridge and Summit Trail Loop

Misery Ridge and Summit Trail Loop is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Terrebonne, Oregon that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

cave

Beautiful canyon and creek, Rock Climbing, Sheer cliffs, hiking and Mountain biking. This hike takes you up and down through this climbers paradise. Because this is a world famous climbing site and the weather is good year round, solitude is hit or miss. The amazing hike through the crooked river canyon is worth putting up with the crowds. The trail is mostly easy walking but gets quite strenuous as it climbs over the ridge. Stop occasionally and watch the climbers rise and fall on the solid rhyolite tuff. Many optional routes can lead you through this park, but one main trail exists throughout. Dont miss monkey face and other rock formations. After hiking this park, head over to the Cove Palisades and hike the Tam-A-Lau Loop.

Did this hike 6 week postpartum. It was very challenging as I wasn’t in great shape yet, but was very doable. I definitely recommend! Go early! Wear sunscreen and don’t forget water! Very rewarding views. Lots of going up and but going down is challenging too with loose spots. Take your time!

Only did half of this (footbridge to summit & back) due to time, but a threat hike! Not for the inexperienced or out of shape. Will come back to finish this this and other again soon.

Did this as a snow hike December ‘16 on a clear day and it’s one of the best hikes I will ever go on!! You can distinctly see every mountain in the Oregon Cascade range, it will take your breath away

Amazing things to see here the whole
Time . I really had to stop every few steps and look again as it changes so fast including climbers doing their thing on all the rock walls around

09/03/2018 This is a fun trail. Yes the beginning is steep and strenuous. But take a few breaks on the way up, admire the views, drink water, and you'll be fine. Once you make it to the summit it's all downhill or flat. There's a place to jump in the river about 3/4 of the way down the trail. Also as others have noted, bring plenty of water, sunscreen, a hat and even chapstick. This trail is not that hard. Pace yourself at the beginning and you'll be fine.

This was a great hike despite the smoke filled air coming from the wildfires. I can tell on a bright sunny day, the views would be amazing so I still gave this a 5 even though my pics show a lot of haze. I’m not sure I would rate this trail hard...maybe moderate. It took me 3 hours with no significant break. It is pretty steep and tiring going up the Misery Ridge section in the beginning but doesn’t take to long to complete that part. There are some switchbacks about half way that are a little tiring but nothing like the beginning of the trail. It’s a very quiet trail and I only saw a few hikers once I got on the summit trail. I guess the haziness from the smoke may have helped in terms of keeping it from being too hot. If you want to enjoy the views, do it on a sunny cooler day or go early as someone else said. It can be easy to slip on the gravel rocky surface, so be careful going up and especially coming down. Once you leave the Burma road section heading for the wolf tree trail portion, it is a little steep and rocky coming down so be especially careful there.

Amazing hike. Very steep both up and down but so worth it! Go early to avoid the heat if the day. Bring lots of water!

Strenuous hike to the summit and back down around the back, almost all in the sun. But you get the tough part over with fast and get to walk along the river trail the rest of the way. Took a nice dip in the water. Bring more water than you think you need

This is my second favorite hike of all time. While misery ridge is a bit miserable, the views are well worth it. We did the full loop and really enjoyed the leisurely hike down.

One of my favs! Heavy duty hike in full sun. If you're looking for a butt burner / vomit inducer start on Burma Road to Summit Trail, hiking up to First Kiss, then working the backside of Misery Ridge and ending at the Canyon Trail. Have fun and watch out for rattlesnakes, saw one a few weekends ago on the trail.

amazing trail, but bring water, lots of water. I started at 2PM and it was like walking in an oven.

Incredible views at the summit! i stood at the edge of The Cliffs of Moher in Ireland without issue but this hike was quite scary at some points! Well worth it!

Beautiful hike and scenery. The hard part is at the beginning, which is great.

Great views and a good work out. Not ideal if you don’t like heights.

This trail was awesome! There were really good views of the surrounding mountains.

Awesome hike with lots of versatility and hardly any people!

amazing hike! stairs are a little brutal

An absolute beauty. A high chance it was the prettiest hike I've ever been on, definitely up there with Cloud's Rest in Yosemite

great hike. Showed up around 6:30 am and beat the crowd. great views!

Best trial in life ever

Beautiful hike! One of my favorite place to come is Bend Or and see all it's beauty.

I hiked this trail with my family and it was a challenging hike for me but I feel so accomplished as I’ve always wanted to be able to do hikes like this. Made it all the way to the top. Gorgeous views all around. My boys are 12 and 15.

Definitely love this hike! Spectacular sunrise and sunset views. Of course all times of day are great but if you can manage dawn or dusk hikes the reward is amazing!

Worth the drive from the valley. We went on Memorial Day weekend and parking was awful. The loop took my wife and I three hours from parking lot and back. Be prepared for Misery Trail to blast your thighs.

Vistas to die for.

Incredible hike! Stunning views!

What a great hike! Feels like we got the full Smith Rock experience. We got to the park around 1 and parking waa full, the park was very crowded on a sunny and warm spring day. Misery Ridge section of the trail was quite crowded but once we continued on over the ridge it was very quite. We only passed a handful of people - it was a nice change from the crowded start. Trails are well maintained, a little gravelly in spots but nothing too difficult. This loop gives you the full Smith Rock experience and definitely is worth the extra time exploring.

Amazing. That’s all you can say! Definitely recommend doing this hike, you’ll have no regrets!

It is called Misery ridge for a reason! The hike up was no easy task even for being pretty fit. The view and sweat was totally worth it. Trail was clear and not much shade so I recommend going early. Hands down beautiful hike and worth the effort

Definitely a bit miserable at first. I recommend going up misery ridge first then coming down the backside as the steepness of Misery Ridge with the scree can be slippery!