Learn more

Misery Ridge and River Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Terrebonne, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.0 mi Elevation gain 1,043 ft Route type Loop

Photos (1491)
Recordings (520)
Completed (2367)
Caroline Whitmire
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 13, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Great hike! Go on a cooler day, there is no shade and it’s hot when you’re working hard to climb to the top. We saw three rattle snakes so keep an eye out while you’re hiking. They blend into the rock! It did end up being closer to 4.5 miles once we got back to the car.

Lexi Rhorer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

So the backside up for some shade.

View Lexi's Recording
Chanel Baron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike. A good workout, very sunny, gorgeous views. River access and really cool seeing rock climbers

Ken Herold
Hiking

Earlier start lead to less people on the trail and slightly cooler weather! Great day to be out!

View Ken's Recording
Megan Villa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingNo shade

I’ve done this loop more times than I care to share. I like to go right at the bridge and tackle the biggest elevation gain first, maybe take a dip in the river before starting. Definitely a unique landscape. It’s usually hot, bring lots of water. It’s hard to get lost, though on the backside you can choose to take the longer misery ridge trail beside the river if you go right, or continue straight/left for the shorter one. They both are labeled misery ridge, they are both beside the river, one for longer than the other. The views are usually lovely, with Sisters, Jefferson, Broken Top, Tumalo, Black Butte and Washington all visible on a clear day. I’ve never seen Hood from the top though. I also like to run the entire backside and I’ve seen many others doing so. $5 fee parking fee if I recall? Bring water.

Rachel Gross
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingRocky

Great 4 mile loop. Pretty crowded, even though it’s one heck of a hike up the mountain (if you go counterclockwise). Beautiful views. Also amazing to see so many climbers...humans are so amazing! Definitely recommend this hike if you’re in the area. Would be good to bring hiking poles, if you have them. And lots of water. It gets HOT!

View Rachel's Recording
Allison Sitler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020

Amazing must see!

Jason Rogers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingNo shade

I’ve hiked in the alps, hiked throughout Banff and Glacier. This little gem is right in my backyard and is absolutely stunning! A busy day on the trails, but everyone was courteous and seemed enchanted with the amazing rock formations, climbers, and twisting river. A must do, we went clockwise on the trail down the river trail and up Misery near Monkey face which seemed to lessen the masses!

dani l.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingNo shade

This is a gorgeous park with awesome views but a ton of people. We did this trail clockwise at the suggestion of the Park ranger and thought it was a good call. It starts totally flat along a river with a waterfall view to boost. It then goes up steeply around a rock that looks like a monkey (thus named Monkey Face). There is a nice flat area at the top and then an equally steep descent through switchbacks on the other side. Lots of climbers on the cliff walls along the river. Avoid on very warm days but perfect at 75F! Paid parking.

Kelly M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
Hiking

What a hike! The first bit was steep (be sure to wear hiking boots) and it was quite a hot day (shorts!), but the views were worth it. The top is like a playground, you get to climb on a bunch of rocks and the 360 views are superb. I felt like I was in a different state! Highly recommend.

Devin Duarte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail! Can’t wait for a tougher one next time!

View Devin's Recording
Kathy Bruce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
Hiking

Totally worth the crazy amount of switch backs in the beginning. Went at sunset for a cooler temperature but it was still pretty warm and needed a lot of water. Highly recommend!

Keenan Browe
HikingGreat!

Good, dry conditions, with passing cloud cover for shade. Trail is a beast, though.

View Keenan's Recording
Andrew Kaylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
HikingFeeRockyScramble

Absolutely gorgeous hike, one of my all time favorites! We went in the evening on 7/27/20 and it was great that it cooled down some, but even better seeing the sun set over the cascade range of mountains. Climbing up is a grind, no doubt, but it is definitely worth it. Not a great option for someone that isn’t very steady on their feet or doesn’t have good hiking shoes.

Amy Marquitz
Hiking

Loved this trail! Great workout and beautiful. Evening was great. Less people and cooler. If you want an extra mile or so, go summit instead of river trail. Both ways are beautiful. My boyfriend and I hiked misery ridge 3 times this weekend and starting from the bottom of misery ridge then going to the river trail was our favorite. The view at the top is amazing! Also get to check out a like of rock climbing which is cool to watch.

Megan Schroeder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

What a beautiful surprise!! I don’t know what I was expecting when I chose this hike but it exceeded all my expectations! The scenery is so much different than anything else we did during our trip and reminded us so much of hiking in Utah. We went later in the day so it wasn’t quite so hot and also had quite a bit of shade which was great. We loved seeing all the rock climbers too along the route!

Dane Gainey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

Did this hike later in the evening and other than the parking lot didn’t run into many people on the trail. The first mile is straight up and rough on the legs. After getting to the top though, the view of the Cascades was one I wasn’t expecting. Could see from Mount Hood all the way down to Mount Bachelor and every mountain in between, over 100 miles. After seeing monkey face the descent was pretty challenging with lots of loose rock and no shade cover. The last 2 miles in the bottom of the canyon was the perfect amount of sun cover and views of the massive rocks.

Katlin McNally Arps
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingNo shade

Got there around 9am on a Friday and it wasn’t too crowded. As we left the parking lot was full though. And wow, people are right 1 tough first mile or so. Straight up and no shade, be prepared with water and sunscreen. The backside downhill was also a little tricky, the gravel gave way a lot so be sure footed But man oh man. There’s some beautiful views. Highly recommend this.

Vincent L.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

I decided to do the step ascent first with my wife and two kids (aged 9+) and it took us 45 minutes to get to the top of the mountain. It was sunny and hot (83F), but the occasional shade and breeze made the hike more tolerable. We saw climbers rappelling down the Monkey Face and it was a sight to behold. After a mild descent, the rest of the hike (a bit more than 2 miles) was easy but long and my girl was super tired at the end. I should have doubled back after seeing the Monkey Face.

Austin Puetz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
View Austin's Recording
Sheila Gebhardt
Hiking

This hike never disappoints! I am not in the best shape but we did reverse it again and just stopped when we had too. Going early is also wise as it heats up fast. Just beautiful hike and one of my favorites.

IRENE GARCIA
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

Did this trail last year and I thought it was pretty hard going up but was so worth it !! I would not take children

Jaimie Gosselin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
Hiking

Not closed. Great hike. Full sun exposure as you wander. I went straight up to get the hard bit over with first. Glad I did. Views of rock climbers along the way were incredible. It’s 4 miles to the parking lot... the complete loop.

Dargan Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

Such a cool area! Misery Ridge Trail was open today. It’s an uphill slog, but only for about a mile, though it feels longer because of the heat. We went up misery ridge then down past monkey face and along the river. Lots of climbers everywhere. Highly recommend!

Andy Porter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020
RunningClosed

Gorgeous hike. But had to return back along River Trail as all of Misery Ridge Trail was still temporarily closed due to washouts, with repair work ongoing, as of June 27, 2020.

View Andy's Recording
Rebecca M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 15, 2020
HikingNo shade

Still closed, but one of the best hikes in Central Oregon!

Julie Zakharov
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
HikingRocky

Went up there on 06/13/20. The trail is closed due to erosion. Other than that the park is opened. We took the long trail around the entire park which totaled about 8.5 miles! I would rate the trail going around the park as moderate.