Misery Ridge and River Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(729)
Smith Rock State Park

Misery Ridge and River Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Terrebonne, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,043 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

closed

Closed as of right now when you get to The misery ridge crossing but still very pretty views and a great hike

Amazing views. We did counter clockwise and didn't regret - it's easier to make all hard climbing in the beginning. Not too easy, but the views are worth it. we've spent lots of time at the top enjoying views of mountains.

What a fantastic trail fantastic views everywhere. It was about 18 degrees with light snow in the trail. Just enough to make me careful but not too slick. As the other reviews suggest, the accent is pretty steep. Be prepared. Going down was fairly steep as well. Trekking poles wouldn’t be a bad idea. I like the cold and it helped me stay cool going up. It must be tough in a hot summer day. Carried water like most reviews suggested.

fee

Quiet day today (Friday March 13th) but will get very crowded soon in the Spring/Summer seasons ... Moderate Trail as indicated. May be hard for a beginner due to switchbacks and steep uphill climb at times....Once at the top, it gets easier as it’s all downhill from there...Tread carefully and watch for loose gravel...No trees for shade heading up Misery Ridge so be prepared when visiting in the hot, summer months...Today was beautiful! Partly cloudy and cool, 50’s... Phenomenal views for miles! Impressive Cascade Range seen in the distance...Spectacular “Monkey Face” natural monument! Majestic peaks! Serene river, except for some noisy ducks and geese at times. All part of the enchanting experience! Haha! Rock climbers seen on the River Trail added to the character of this magnificent and breathtaking Park! Got some striking photographs! Totally stoked! A very enjoyable experience! I especially love the Western Juniper trees that are prevalent and line the lower trails! One of my favorite trees! Totally worth the trip! A must do!

Great hike. Difficult switchbacks at first, but the view is worth it. Easy and relaxing on the way down, especially by the river. My wife and I did this hike on a beautiful Friday morning around 9am and there were maybe a handful of others on the hike. Not too crowded. We finished the entire hike within an hour and a half, and by the time we were done the trail was already getting packed. Go early and bring water. Absolutely stunning views all around. Reminded me a bit of Utah!

fee

This trail was awesome and challenging. If you are new to hiking then I wouldn't recommend it. The view is beautiful from the top of Smith Rock.

This is my preferred trail for Misery Ridge. It’s steep on the way up, but slightly easier on the way down. The ascent/descent should be manageable for most people if they take their time. Just be sure to bring lots of water! The final trail along the river is flat and peaceful. Lots of amazing views throughout the hike. Decent amount of wildlife. Only downside is how many people there are - I usually go in the middle of the day though, so maybe it’s less crowded earlier or later on.

did this hike probably six years ago, I remember the steep switchbacks, nice view at the top, and seeing river otters on the way back to the car. very cool trip.

Amazing trail. No ice. Great conditions. Definitely recommend poles and going mid afternoon to catch the sun setting against the rock faces. Start up misery ridge to have reasonably flat remainder. Did with our kids 8 and 10yrs old, so totally possible if decently fit.

Loved these trails! The hike to the top on Misery Ridge from the bridge is serious. The views are so worth it. I preferred going straight up first and then taking the River Trail.

Loved this hike, will be back for the other trails.

This was our first visit to Smith Rock State Park, and we hiked this trail. It was January and cold, and we got on the trail by 9am, which made for almost no other hikers when we started out. I will say, this trail is appropriately named. We chose to tackle the Misery Ridge portion first (go straight off the bridge), and you immediately start a steep uphill climb with switchbacks to the top. We used to be avid hikers, but the last six months we haven’t been able to hit the trails like we used to, and we definitely felt it in the first hour of this climb. But it’s definitely worth it! The views are breathtaking, and after you summit the rest of the hike is a nice downhill trek and then a river walk to finish. Our suggestions: go early! It was January, and by the time we were back at the bottom on the river trail, it was packed with people. We are glad we didn’t have to start the climb with this many people (we also had our two dogs with us on leash). Another perk to starting early is the cooler temperatures. Bring lots of water. Overall, totally gorgeous and definitely worth it! It took us a little less than three hours to finish. We’ll definitely be back.

icy

Perfect day to hike this trail. sun was shining, birds were talking and the trail was super icy in the shade! It was fairly windy so dress accordingly and prepare for the game on/game off of removing a layer. If you take it counter clockwise you'll have a fairly short icy climb up near the ridge line. It seemed significantly harder without traction so bring it. Coming down the otherside you'll have a good 4 switchbacks worth of ice to traverse that was a challenge even with my yaktrax on. A group behind us committed to butt sliding so that's an option. Worth every effort to see the views though! The foul visiting the river and the climbers doing their thing were also fun to watch and photograph.

Beautiful views, beautiful weather. You will definitely want spikes with the amount of ice on the trail, regardless of the direction you take up and down. I was not wearing my Apple Watch, but in all my years of hiking I felt like we definitely hiked over 4 miles. Keep in mind, there is barely any shade if you're hiking mid-day so if you burn easily be sure to bring some sunscreen (even in the winter!).

This was hands down one of my favorite hikes I’ve ever gone on. I went early July in the morning so it started refreshing and got warmer near the end. The first trek up is pretty steep and my boyfriend patiently waited while I stopped for lots of breaks, and once you make it to the top the view is breathtaking, but it doesn’t stop there. The next trek down is filled with amazing views and if you look closely you can see ant sized people climbing on far away rock formations. The trail then took us along the river and back to our parking spot. The large orange rocks transport you to what looks like Utah, and the beautiful greenery along the sides brings you back home. I promise you’ll grow envious of the people who live a short distance from this place.

Favorite hike to date. Absolute breathtaking views. The initial climb is rough but once you get past the first 0.8 it gets a lot easier and the view is so worth it

So the “difficulty” of this trail starts as the obvious steep hiking up, but I found the steep hiking down to be the most difficult part. I actually slipped and fell on my butt—thankfully not down the rock,like my camera did (sigh). Lots of people on the trail considering it’s difficulty level, which was nice (safety). The views are amazing and well worth the foot pain and soreness. Helfpul hints: start at the bridge and do the river trail after. LAYERS. You’ll get very hot and then very cold. We are not avid hikers or in the best shape. It took us almost 4 hours to hike, no sun and lots of breaks so it was perfect!

Amazing hike, try to arrive early to beat the crowds. I recommend taking the first steep incline first, making the rest of the hike more enjoyable. The view from the summit is breathtaking and the walk along the river back is very peaceful.

On the easier end of moderate. Make sure to take the offshoot at the top and climb around on the rocks! No snow or ice

Amazing hike! I hiked it in the snow (ranger said snow is rare)- I had the trail to myself. Due to the snow I would recommend going counter clockwise (to the right)- so climbing misery ridge first. It’s steep, almost icy but fine with boots & treks. Descending on the back side past monkey face is fine, packed snow, lots of switchbacks. The river trail which gets you back is majestic. So glad I got to do this amazing trail!

Great hike

Stunning and beautiful. Think of it as a mini Zion without the changing rock colors. Definitely worth it!!

More beautiful than the pictures can reveal