Mirror Lake to Eagle Cap

Mirror Lake to Eagle Cap is a 16.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lostine, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.9 miles Elevation Gain: 4,146 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Absolutely loved this trail!! Was a pretty simple trail, just long! We decided to stop once at mirror lake so we could explore around the lake and really enjoy the views. Trail wasn’t very crowded which was nice! Will definitely be back and plan to camp here next time.

Just tracking from Mirror lake to the summit, as I approached Mirror Lake from the West Wallowa River trail and Lake Basin. fantastic hike. a little more snow than I expected for mid September (the last 2 miles were covered, more significantly the last mile). Luckily a few people had summited in the past week so I was able to follow their path, without any snowshoes or special snow gear. I definitely got snow in my boots, but nothing that the views didn't make up for.

bridge out

Stunning ... I checked bridge out as it was partially out... still crossable on the beam... as of a couple of days ago the stream was super low anyways... bridge not even necessary. It was reported to me by another hiker that a cougar was spotted in the Meadows around the said bridge. Easy to follow trail to the lake itself. I personally had a bit of difficulty finding the trail to the Eagle cap summit ... but did a minor bit of scrambling up and easily spotted the REAL trail. Sadly I didn't have time to reach the summit as I was day hiking and had a late start.

Best hike I’ve ever done.

What a dang majestic backpacking trip. Just like all the rest of the reviews state, well worth a trip out to this trail as it does not disappoint in the least. Trail is in good condition all the way up and will for sure be returning to Eagle Cap

Amazing hike. Lower trail was in good condition. More snow then I was expecting going up to Eagle Cap from Mirror lake. Headed to Horton pass to hit snow free ridge line sooner. Turned around before summit because it was getting late in the day. Lots of mosquitoes.

completed trip June 21st weekend. Snow past 1.5 miles. Once we hit the valley we had a hard time finding places to camp because of snow and wet damp ground but we made it happen! Great time and great views. Saw wolf print! Would go again! Mirror is still frozen.

Awesome beautiful trail. Couldn’t hike past 1.75 miles because of solid snow. The trail also hasn’t been cleared past maybe 1 mile. Will be back in July to try again!! Stayed the night at the trail head and had a cougar hangout at the outskirts of our camp that night.

Mon Nov 26 2018

This was done a while ago. We didn’t get to eagle cap because of thunder, but from our shelter we saw a cougar that had followed us for who knows how long. Will return

Tue Sep 04 2018

Did this as a two nighter. Great hike and amazing views. Made the mistake of going on a holiday weekend, but we made the most of it. Most of the campers decided to leave at the same time I did, making for congested trails. Still had a good time. Hiking eagle cap was intense but worth it. Do it!

Mon Aug 27 2018

We went from Two Pan Trailhead to Eagle Cap and back, all in one day. The hike was beautiful, the meadows were simply incredible, and we had a nice view of Eagle Cap for about 5 miles. The view from the mountain itself is so awesome. If you do any hike in the Wallowa Mountains, do this one. You'll see most of the area, as Eagle Cap is right in the center of the wilderness. However, I wouldn't do this as a day hike ever again, the mountain climb was grueling. Camp at Mirror or Upper Lake, and do the mountain in the morning.

Sat Aug 25 2018

Awesome hike. Eagle cap has amazing views. Camped for three nights at mirror lake and didn't want to leave.

Mon Jul 30 2018

July - Mid Summer The hike to mirror lake, as well as the summit, offers some of the best alpine views I’ve ever seen with my own two eyes. There are a lot of people on this trail though. The parking area was so packed we had to park on the road. Finding a campsite wasn’t too difficult (and we found a decent site), but we had quite a few neighbors. We also passed several people, dogs and horses on the trail. Didn’t really see in wildlife. The trail itself isn’t too difficult. It is very well maintained, and very easy to find your way to the basin. The beginning section is probably the most difficult, as you do most of your accent there until you reach the upper valley. Going to the summit makes for a great day hike, but you gain about 2000 feet in less than 3 miles. There is a toilet at the parking area. Parking costs $5 per day, and a wilderness permit is required (free at trailhead). Also make sure you read the regulations as campfires are prohibited within 1/4 of a mile from many of the lakes in the basin. Overall a beautiful trip, If a little overcrowded. Would recommend doing in the off season to avoid the crowd.

Sun Nov 05 2017

Attempted it on November 3rd 2017 - We made it about 6 miles in until we wished we had snowshoes. If you're wondering what conditions are like, snow was at knee level and it's getting worse at the 5-6 mile point. With the right equipment you'll have fun. Really look forward to doing it next summer!

Thu Aug 22 2013

Great Hike up to a beautiful pristine lake. It's been a while since I hiked this but from what I remember most of the hike is on the side of a steep mountain (so narrow trail) and you gain a lot of elevation (7000ft I think) so the trail is also kinda steep for a beginner. At the lake there is a wonderful large grassy area to put lots of tents if you go in a group. Don't forget to take the extra climb up to the top of Eagle Cap above the lake. What a view! Because there are a lot of Mirror Lakes, google "mirror lake in eagle cap wilderness" to see pictures of this beautiful spot.

Fri Aug 31 2018