Mirror Lake Loop Trail

Mirror Lake Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

A mellow and easy forest hike or snowshoe a little over a mile west of Government Camp. This hike gets you to Mirror Lake and offers fantastic views of Mt. Hood.

A little bit of everything on this trail. It starts off winding through the forest, easy walking. Halfway to the lake, you’ll encounter the elevation change and see more tree roots & rocks embedded in the trail. Mirror Lake is pretty small, still pretty. Trail was a little wet today, just a few muddy spots.

Well maintained trail. Beautiful lookouts.

Nice lake. So many people.

Great trail with an amazing view at the end as expected. Snow is starting to stick over here so I’d recommend a nice jacket, and boots for the mud. Highly recommend.

Nice workout with the switchbacks to a small tranquil lake. If able, definitely head in the Tom, Dick and Harry trail that continues to the top; otherwise, I don’t think this lake is worth the effort on its own.

fee

a couple switch backs that are challenging for an average hiker. but other then those it's a good hike with only a little steepness. the lake is small but make sure to go on a clear day if you wanna see mt.hood!

Well marked, busy, and beautiful views.

Rainy, foggy, and cold but great fun. just the right amount of work to make you feel fabulous but not sore. No view but that is not everything about the adventure. Loved today.

This was a great trail! We went last weekend with our puppy and found the trail to be smooth sailing until the last stretch as other reviewers have noted - somewhat rocky and a bit muddy with exposed roots, but overall an accessible trail. Lots of great spots to enjoy a snack (or quick swim for our dog) next to the lake. Nice view of Mt. Hood. We got to the trail before 11 am and didn’t find it to be too crowded, but noticed the parking lot was quite full when we wrapped up our hike around 1/2 pm. We also clocked the hike at more than 3.7 miles - closer to 5, but overall this is an easy one if you’re in decent shape. (Lots of people of all ages and fitness levels out there). A few logistical details - there was no day pass meter, so you’d either need to buy your pass online ahead of time or grab one at the local store mentioned (or wing it). We ended up buying one online at the trail to have on hand if we got ticketed (we didn’t). Also - the bathrooms are rough. Not nearly as nice as Oregon’s state or city parks, so be prepared :). Lastly, drive around the mountain for lunch and drinks at Solera Brewing in Parkdale after - amazing view of the mountain!

Started hike at 5 pm so no parking or crowd problems. Muddy and not at all pretty - lots of tree debris lining the path. Some elevation but fairly easy and quick in and out. The iconic view of Mt Hood reflected in Mirror Lake was nice.

The work they did in 2017 to rebuild parts of the trail and move the trailhead to an area with better parking was needed. The trail itself isn’t difficult. I would rate this as an appropriate weekend hike for a family or those not looking for anything strenuous. If you get up early and get to mirror lake there is usually some glorious foggy conditions, or pick a sunny day and take in the amazing views of Mt. Hood. Either way you can’t beat this trail.

I took my four year old son up and around the loop and it was manageable! There were a few spots where my son couldn’t handle the incline so I had to carry him a bit but overall I would say the loop is kid friendly! The hike was beautiful and will be going back (without my son) to finish the whole hike to the ridge!

Stunning Mirror Lake! Creeks along the hike are lovely too.

Great Hike!! I went mid september around 12pm just got back here at the trailhead around 2. its a nice moderate hike but it was a little muddy due to earlier ran but not too slippery. great moderate elevation with the switchbacks, only one place at the start of the last 1/3 that was steeper. wonderful lake view at the top. there are only a few spots to see a good view of mt hood near the sunny spots and of course you'll have to wait for clouds. seems like some camping and lots of backpackers going to the lake to stay. the hike has people on it for sure but in september its not too bad. lots of dogs which makes some of the trails a bit tight but fun to see all the little dogs make it to the top! can't wait to come back!

This was a nice quick hike. It was rainy when we went so we didn't get the views around the lake. I will say this was a solid 4.5 miles, not 3.7 like the review says.

Was mostly dry.

Beautiful non-strenuous hike with spectacular views of mount hood

Easy hike and fantastic views!

We hiked up to Mirror Lake, thinking that was all we could fit in but some other hiker said going up further to Tom, Dick and Harry was her favorite hike so we went up there. It was well worth it! We'd arrived at the base at about 11AM, made it to Mirror Lake about 12:30, had some lunch, then made it to the top about a hour later and back all the way down to the car by 3:30 or so. It was a clear day and we were able to see Mounts St Helens, Ranier, Adams, Jefferson and obviously Hood. The trail was in great condition and relatively easy. We doubled back the way we'd come. The whole trip as quite the treat!

Easy trail access with great views of Mt. Hood at the lake.

Nice hike. Not really strenuous. The trail is very well kept. Views of Mt. Hood are incredible from Mirror lake.

Make sure you have a parking pass or you will get a ticket for a $5 parking fee bc there is no place to pay for parking once you are at the ski bowl. The hike is up hill and easy enough for kids. Lots of rocks and tree stumps, so if balance is a issue I recommend walking sticks. The lake is beautiful and I saw people swimming. It got VERY crowded on my way back down the trial. I highly recommend getting there as early as possible bc about 12pm it’s packed.