Minto-Brown Island Park is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Salem, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 121 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Please note: As of January 2020, users have reported that most of the routes at Minto Brown were closed due to high water. Please consult the park's website before visiting.

Loved the trail there was a part flooded but other than that loved it and took a little dog as well.

Kind of a wet day. Lots of mud. Didn’t smell very good. I might come back just to walk with my friends.

Minto Brown Island Park is awesome! There are plenty of trails for bikes and lots of geocaches! (geocaching.com)

Paved, safe trail

flooded

I used to like this park (Minto Brown), but, there’s too many Cougar sightings, there are signs all over the park sometimes on what to do if you encounter one. I’ve heard there are Coyote around there too, no thanks, not to mention the rape/abduction attempts, (I know!), read a few articles in “statesman Journal about these attempts. I’ve heard gun shots there too, I think people hunt there even though it’s illegal, I reported it to police. I also got BIT by a dog there once, and also got “slimed” many times by loose dogs, a lot of people don’t use leashes, also, watch out for the dog Poo all over the trails that people don’t clean up, even though plastic bags are provided in dispensers all over. A lot of people smoke cigarettes and pot/weed there too, clouds of smoke and coughing, even though there are signs “no smoking at city parks”. If you do want to go to Minto anyway, don’t go in the late afternoon, or you’ll get eaten alive by mosquitos due to all the stagnant sloughs/swamps. Ouch! No worries though, you’ll probably have to turn around anyway because there’s no available parking spaces anymore at Minto, being so crowded, they’ve had to open an “overflow parking area” in the dirt and mud. There’s a lot of events there at the Pavillion making it even MORE crowded. Also, I’ve read about car break-ins, there are signs at all 3 lots “items aren’t safe, take your valuables with you”. It wasn’t like this 5-10 years ago, I don’t know what happened. I like Bush park, it’s much less crowded, parking, nice trails, a stream, lots of flowers, trees and squirrels, real pretty and safer, (no cougars or swamp mosquitoes or gun shots). Why isn’t Bush Pasture City Park, in Salem, in the “All Trails” app? Just go to Bush Park, Happy trails!

flooded

4 of 52. Minto Brown Park, Salem. I’m ALMOST getting over being down, sick for the last week. The kind of sick that kept me home from work all week. I was thinking of bypassing this week of hiking, but we got up, the skies were blue, so out we went and stuck close to home. You know, in case I weenied out. We parked at Riverfront Park and decided to do the Peter Courtney bridge for the first time. It was supposed to be a short 3 mile walk and turned out to be a 6.25 mile walk with the dogs who by the way when we were done was out like lights. It was longer than we thought because most of the routes at Minto Brown we’re closed due to high water, each path we took we either had to turn back or detour. At one of the detours stood high up in the trees a bald eagle guarding her nest. Thankfully the city closed this path to protect our momma eagle, absolutely beautiful. There were tons of people out, croaking frogs and singing birds. Good hike/walk in our hometown.

flooded

Complex trail network but great maps along the way. Unfenced dog off leash area. Great trail condition.

Beautiful and suitable for our senior dog to have a long sniff. Lots of small trails to make up a longer walk.

Great to ride bike with the littles. Nice little in town thing to bring the family

Great for in town recreation area.

This was a great trail for me and the boys on a summer ride. We road on many different loops and surfaces. I would rate it as easy. The setting was beautiful and other users friendly.

So many trails for biking, walking, running (and great hiking trails going off the main paths). If you like fishing, this is a great place for that too! And don't forget the well-kept dog park!

Complex trail network can be confusing, but it makes it easy to customize the distance you want to go! most paths are paved and everything is VERY well marked with maps frequently throughout the park.

Wild flowers were blooming all along the trail and in the open meadows. Was an easy but beautiful walk along the river and into the open park spaces. Paved and crushed rock pathways with no real climbs. Good for families and pets on leashes.

Great no pressure walk. Nice for a casual stroll or bike ride around with a friend or pet. Easy to get turned around if your not careful, so pay attention to what turns you take.

Beautiful

Very nice trail and very close to Salem. Great to get away on an island. You feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.

our 1st Minto Brown walk with our new Yorkie boys! we all did geeat!

this is NOT a hike but is a great walk. The park is almost all pavement therefore a GREAT place for a young child to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels or a young family pushing a stroller. It was also good for me trying to rehabilitate my knees after a bad car accident. So my rating for a hike is one star but as a walk 4.5 stars.

Sun Jun 02 2019

Walked 4 miles

Sun Jun 02 2019

beautiful area and is extremely dog friendly. there's also an unfenced dog park.

Tue May 28 2019

Nice river Trial.

Fri May 10 2019

Love this place..would not consider a hiking spot, but it's a very beautiful and flat area.