Twin Pillars Trail

Twin Pillars Trail is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Prineville, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

We did this hike 3 weeks ago from the north trailhead. Lots of new growth forest, some creek jumping, but beautiful views of Desolation Canyon and glimpses of Steins Pillar.

Beautiful hike

My boyfriend and I hiked this today and it was beautiful! Really nice views all the way to the pillars, and the pillars themselves are really worth seeing. We had to ford the river quite a few times, some crossings have logs but some do not. I would recommend bringing hiking poles to help cross. We also ran into quite a few ticks coming up on the pillars. The switch backs have lots of bushes and we stopped to brush ticks off our clothes frequently.

Beautiful trail, when I was here there was about 5 inches of snow which made the hike difficult but it was absolutly gorgeous. we had to ford streams 10 times on the way out and again on the way back looking forward to hiking this again in the late spring. At 9 miles one way (according to the sign at the trail head) this is a fairly long day hike.

totally gorgeous trail. things to be aware of: the map takes you directly to the south trailhead, but the last 5 miles are all dirt roads and sharp turns, so be careful. also, from the south trailhead to the north trailhead is 9 miles, so this trail, if done out and back, is actually 18 miles long. beautiful in december:)

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The pillars are neat and provide good views at the top. Mosquitos are unbearable in July be warned.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Did the entire loop trail yesterday. Tons of deadfall. Estimate over 100 trees down in 24 miles of hiking. Some are easily stepped over but several had to crawl under...yukk. Overall a fantastic hike. Didnt see a single person from North Pillar to Wildcat Trail thru Belknap and back to South Pillar trailhead. Trail is very narrow and overgrown in only small sections. Easy to follow

Monday, June 05, 2017

Great trail from either direction. South entrance has many creek crossings. North only has a few but actually is a easier hike to the Pillars

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Well the first 4 miles is Moderate. The climb to the Twin Pillars is riddled with blow down. And the trail is STEEP. I'm sure that had something to do with 55lbs on my back. I went in from South twin pillars, crossed to the wildcat trail via the Belknap junction. Headed north to the wildcat trailhead. Then West to North Twin Pillars TH. Then south past the pillars and out. The loop was 27.8 miles total. Be advised that in June. The area is COVERED in poisen oak and ivy. Fortunately I'm not sensitive to either. Beautiful wilderness. Definitely volcanic. I spent 4 days in there.

Monday, July 24, 2017