Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mike Miller Educational Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(43)
South Beach State Park

Mike Miller Educational Trail is a 0.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newport, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 134 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. A well maintained woodland nature trail is the main attraction of this park. There are bridges, observation decks, and benches along the trail to sit and listen to bird calls, watch small animals, and enjoy the beauty of native coastal vegetation.

it is now open - good hike!

Perfect little hiking trail. Biking it can be a blast also.

super cute quick workout type of trail. did this in about 30 minutes with the dogs. incline was a nice leg burner.. would be a good hike to shakedown gear and get used to uneven terrain. lots of roots along trail. as I got back to my car I passed a guy headed in to do the loop on his bike.

Great trail in South Beach that somehow in all my years of living here I’ve never been too. It’s been dry so the weather and trail condition was great. We took some of the extra spurs - the Wilder Spur connects to the housing at Oregon Coast Community College (where there is more logging roads to follow, a dog park or a nice disc golf course). The Emery trail loops around a pond.

9/13/2019. If I lived close, it would be a daily delight! I have not enjoyed a trail as much as this one in a while. So intrigued at this trail, but it's alot of up and down! I got a great glut/thigh workout. Neat to learn about a sand dune turning into a forest. But I only learned that downloading the free pamphlet online. posts after 10 are needing updated, and really watch your step. The roots help with getting your footing, but can trip you if you lack grace. This is a whimsical, magical, enchanting place! I wish I could donate to it.

This trail was a new found favorite and we will definitely be back and will frequent often. The description of the location of this trail stated that it is near Toledo, however it is closer to Newport (just south of Newport). The topography and scenery is wonderful. The trees gives a sense that you’re walking among the giants. Very whimsical and lots of little hobbit nooks. This trail joins with others to add to the experience and length. I would say that this trial is more of a moderate versus easy trail. There are many climbs and descents along the way.

Beautiful old-growth forest. Easy trail with a bit of a climb and a lot of roots. Will definitely do this one again!

Fri Apr 05 2019

Great trail. Bobbi's review describes it perfectly. Side trails Emery and Wilder are both out and back if you want to add some distance. Emery puts you in a place that looks like the deep forest! A nice pond at the bottom too. Lots of roots that act as stairs throughout. Some mud, but not bad at all. My dog and I loved it. Definately will be back.

Sun Nov 25 2018

I love this trail, but surely I am biased as I did this trail several times a week with my prior dog.Bobbi did a through review, I'll add that much of the path gets muddy if there has been a solid rain; the Emery branch is dark and can be very muddy but is nice it is own spooky way. The elevations are like rooted stairways, good agility practice if you like trail running.

Sat Jun 23 2018

Nice trail. There are a couple of adjoining trails also but I didn't take either of them. Super close to south beach state park, which also has good trails. Trailhead is marked but didn't see signage from 101. On SE 50th street , east from 101.

Tue May 29 2018

Great trail! It took us about an hour to do, taking a few pictures along the way and also watched a couple eagles. It might be rated “easy” if you are younger. For a senior I’d rate it as moderate. There is some elevation and the entire trail is full of roots growing through it. It is very navigable, though, and there are benches placed throughout if you want to stop and take a break. Beautiful scenery everywhere!

Mon May 28 2018

Great trail! As good as it gets. Great educational tool for children.

Mon May 21 2018

Great short hike.

Thu Mar 15 2018

This trail is one of my favorites. It’s an easy walk through the Forrest near the community college. It’s well maintained and has bridges and benches.

Fri May 19 2017

Easy little trail with so much to see! There were no pamphlets on the trail, but you can download a PDF version online.

Mon Feb 16 2015

I really enjoyed my hike around Mike Miller. Contrary to the map posted here, it is a loop. By car from Newport, I followed the sign off the 101 to a curve in the site street. A small parking area and opening in the brush made it clear where to go. The trail was smooth and packed. I downloaded the PDF available from the Newport Parks website. It made my trip that much more enjoyable. Don't expect to see any people. I didn't see one person on the trail. I saw more wildlife here than anywhere else I've been so far though. Expect to travel through many different frost ecosystems as you move through different bends and hills. A superb, peaceful trail.

Wed May 29 2013

A cute and scenic trail that can be very muddy after a rain! Beautiful, tall trees sway and creak in the breeze above a lagoon filled with Newts. Watch out for the adorable, little Salamanders on the trail. A great place to suck in some extremely fresh air on a medium-easy, one mile loop that will get you breathing a little if you're not the adventurous type...and loving the incredible freshness! BTW - The Emery Trail that Bobbi writes about in her excellent description leads back to NE 50th st down the road from the parking area.

Fri Jun 22 2012

Today the dogs and I headed out for a short one mile hike, not expecting much as it was posted as an educational trail. I was pleasantly suprised by this hike and we were immediately transported into a different world. It was amazing to be so close to the ocean and feel hundereds of miles away. The trail started out very easy with a solid packed trail, however a short turn around the corner and it seemed the roots of the trees were doubling as a stairway up the hill - amazing! There were sign posts everywhere, I imagine that is the educational part of the trail, however there were no trail maps in the box that explained what I was looking at, no matter, I was intrigued with everything I saw. There were benches along the way that provide travelers with an opportunity to stop and take in the beauty of the trail. As I climbed up the hill with my two little dogs we were suprisingly greeted by a playful white pitbull puppy, but other than that, the trail was deserted - hard to believe! Further up the path we took the option of following the Wilder Trail which added on a little distance - this looked like a newly created trail which rewarded us with a beautiful view of South Beach - the Wilder Trail ended at a new housing development so we headed back the way we came and onto the Mike Miller trail. There were several bridges to cross and near the end we were amazed by a big pond. At one point we were given the opportunity to to head off on the Emery Trail and started that way - it was a dark and very muddy, since I was on my own, well not completely I had Benny and Joon my tiny toy hiking companions at my side, I thought we should turn around and save it for another day. The actual Mike Miller trail was a one mile loop - next time I would be interested to have the trail guide so I could learn about what I was seeing. If you are spending time on the coast of Oregon and want a hike that does not involve sand - this is the hike for you! Keep in mind I am not a professional hiker, so it is not really strenuous or challenging but it is a visual treat! Great for the dogs and would be great for kids as well. Well worth our time and with our expeditions off on the Wilder and Emery trails the total mileage was 1.5 miles in about 50 minutes - mind you we took lots of pictures and walked at a leisurely pace.

Sat May 19 2012

This trail Starts at SE 50 St. in South Beach (Newport)OR. This is a newer trail with many old growth features. A bike would be easy for an novice biker. A bridge and dock are nice on one small body of water.