Mike Miller Educational Trail

Mike Miller Educational Trail is a 0.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Toledo, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A well maintained woodland nature trail is the main attraction of this park. There are bridges, observation decks, and benches along the trail to sit and listen to bird calls, watch small animals, and enjoy the beauty of native coastal vegetation.

Easy little trail with so much to see! There were no pamphlets on the trail, but you can download a PDF version online.

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Monday, February 16, 2015

I really enjoyed my hike around Mike Miller. Contrary to the map posted here, it is a loop. By car from Newport, I followed the sign off the 101 to a curve in the site street. A small parking area and opening in the brush made it clear where to go.
The trail was smooth and packed. I downloaded the PDF available from the Newport Parks website. It made my trip that much more enjoyable. Don't expect to see any people. I didn't see one person on the trail. I saw more wildlife here than anywhere else I've been so far though. Expect to travel through many different frost ecosystems as you move through different bends and hills. A superb, peaceful trail.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A cute and scenic trail that can be very muddy after a rain! Beautiful, tall trees sway and creak in the breeze above a lagoon filled with Newts. Watch out for the adorable, little Salamanders on the trail. A great place to suck in some extremely fresh air on a medium-easy, one mile loop that will get you breathing a little if you're not the adventurous type...and loving the incredible freshness!

BTW - The Emery Trail that Bobbi writes about in her excellent description leads back to NE 50th st down the road from the parking area.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Today the dogs and I headed out for a short one mile hike, not expecting much as it was posted as an educational trail. I was pleasantly suprised by this hike and we were immediately transported into a different world. It was amazing to be so close to the ocean and feel hundereds of miles away. The trail started out very easy with a solid packed trail, however a short turn around the corner and it seemed the roots of the trees were doubling as a stairway up the hill - amazing! There were sign posts everywhere, I imagine that is the educational part of the trail, however there were no trail maps in the box that explained what I was looking at, no matter, I was intrigued with everything I saw. There were benches along the way that provide travelers with an opportunity to stop and take in the beauty of the trail. As I climbed up the hill with my two little dogs we were suprisingly greeted by a playful white pitbull puppy, but other than that, the trail was deserted - hard to believe! Further up the path we took the option of following the Wilder Trail which added on a little distance - this looked like a newly created trail which rewarded us with a beautiful view of South Beach - the Wilder Trail ended at a new housing development so we headed back the way we came and onto the Mike Miller trail. There were several bridges to cross and near the end we were amazed by a big pond. At one point we were given the opportunity to to head off on the Emery Trail and started that way - it was a dark and very muddy, since I was on my own, well not completely I had Benny and Joon my tiny toy hiking companions at my side, I thought we should turn around and save it for another day. The actual Mike Miller trail was a one mile loop - next time I would be interested to have the trail guide so I could learn about what I was seeing. If you are spending time on the coast of Oregon and want a hike that does not involve sand - this is the hike for you! Keep in mind I am not a professional hiker, so it is not really strenuous or challenging but it is a visual treat! Great for the dogs and would be great for kids as well. Well worth our time and with our expeditions off on the Wilder and Emery trails the total mileage was 1.5 miles in about 50 minutes - mind you we took lots of pictures and walked at a leisurely pace.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

This trail Starts at SE 50 St. in South Beach (Newport)OR. This is a newer trail with many old growth features. A bike would be easy for an novice biker. A bridge and dock are nice on one small body of water.