New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Middle Sister via Pole Creek Trail #4072

Middle Sister via Pole Creek Trail #4072 is a 17.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sisters, Oregon that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 17.3 miles Elevation Gain: 5,282 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail provided some of the most beautiful views I’ve seen in Oregon! The first part is pretty mild, 1600ft/7mi so not very steep at all. We camped at Camp Lake and woke up early the next morning to summit. Pretty deep snow, be careful on the scramble!

I did this climb about a year ago and there was no snow; did it last weekend (10/5-10/6) and there was lots of snow. It was an easy 7.5 mile hike to Camp Lake (well worth it on its own). From there, it's only about 2 miles to the summit and 2 miles back, but the elevation gain is killer. In non-snowy conditions it is a scree/boulder climb to the summit in direct sunlight with no water source. Last weekend, I camped in the snow at 7000' and woke up to a half frozen over lake. The hike was snow the entire way with no crampons or snowshoes necessary. I brought them, but didn't use them. I postholed my way slowly to the summit (one step I would drop past knee, the next step I'd be elevated on a massive rock from the boulder field,,, VERY easy to sprain an ankle or break something because the snow barely covers the rock field and you can't tell how deep you'll step). 5 star because I love this hike, but honestly, wait a few weeks until snow is deeper, or wait until next summer if you don't want snow.

Amazing trail! The hardest part is the last 30 min. It is quite a climb to the top. Totally worth it for the views.

Hayden glacier was too dangerous for my tastes. Nonetheless ascended Hayden with micro spikes. Would not recommend this route this time of year. Crevasses cover the glacier. Alternate route to the right of Hayden is definitely the way to go and a far more enjoyable experience. I descended this way and had a better time. Amazing beautiful mountain. It’s more difficult than south sister but not by very much. The ridge areas around the summit are steeper and looser than south sister but still doable with the same level of experience. More dramatic hike than south sister and has amazing views. Be careful with this one. 10/10 will return again.

This is a nice mountain to climb. There’s a variety of trail conditions that keep it interesting. The only area of concern is just below the summit. It requires scrambling and the rocks are loose. At first sight it looks pretty intimidating. Once you reach it, it’s not so bad. I again posted a video of our adventure on you tube. Search Middle Sister North route 2019. The North Route is the one I suggest. Be safe and have fun up there.

We ascended the south ridge and descended the North side. The south side is very rocky and there are two rocky points near the summit that require scrambling. There isn’t much of a trail. Makes for a more adventurous time. It’s very steep and rocky. The North side is a more enjoyable affair. Snow fields, a trail for the most part. There is a small section below the summit that is a bit scrambly. This is a fun mountain to climb. I posted a video on you tube of the south side climb and the tough section of the north side for the climbing group I’m a part of. I didn’t put any footage of the summit so the group will see it first live and in color. Search Middle Sister south ridge to find it. Have fun up there.

It was my first time backpacking, and it was a wonderful time. We set up camp in about 5.5 miles into the trail, at the base of the mountain. Then, we headed up the mountain. It took us about 6 1/2 hours to get to summit and about 2-3 hours to get down. Amazing views and lots of butterflies, but lots of mosquitoes!