Memaloose State Park Loop

Memaloose State Park Loop is a 4.5 mile loop trail located near The Dalles, Oregon that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Memaloose

The trailhead as shown here is accessed from the highway rest area, which wasn't immediately apparent to me. I'd suggest parking as soon as you find a spot as it begins near the rest area entrance. There is also a trailhead across Route 30 from the overlook but there doesn't seem to be much for parking up there. At that point there is currently a sign posted stating the trail is closed for maintenance. I proceeded with caution, and there is no sign of any maintenance to the top of Marsh Hill, making for a nice (albeit short) hike in itself. There's very little info on the rest of this loop - below is the best I could find after the visit. There is work being done on/near the last 3/4mi so I would suggest not taking the trail beyond Marsh Hill if traveling counterclockwise. Beautiful terrain with some nice views of the gorge.

Ditto on the trail ending part. Don’t follow the path to the marsh on your right when the trail appears to stop. It goes nowhere too and you walk up and down an extra half mile. Otherwise nice hike with great views of the gorge.

The wildflowers are spectacular on Marsh Hill, but as we continued on the loop counterclockwise from the rest area, the track disappears and is impossible to follow. We had to turn around and retrace our steps. Beautiful creative wind sculptures on the property where we turned around.