Memaloose Lake & South Fork Mountain Trail

Memaloose Lake & South Fork Mountain Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estacada, Oregon that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Road is closed at Hwy 224 on Estacada side. Closed at bridge due to the fire we had in September 2014. You can park at the bridge and hike up the paved Road, but it would be a long way to the trail head.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Friday, May 06, 2016

Any day in the woods is good and the lake is awesome with cool views, but the trail is difficult to get to (long drive on logging road) and not sure it's worth the effort for the short hike

Thursday, December 03, 2015

Short hike, nice lake view- old growth forest. Parking area leave a bit to be desire with loads of bullet shells, garbage and old party spots.

geocaching
Wednesday, August 05, 2015

The road to the trail is currently closed due to fire damage. I found another way around coming from the other side (all you need is a map to find it). The road coming from the other way is very long and full of potholes so be prepared! it's a beautiful hike with giant trees and tons of birds.. I even saw roosters! The lake wasn't as nice as if hoped. It's brownish green and kinda gross. I also didn't see any salamanders :( but the view at the top of south fork is gorgeous!!! Through the trees you can see many mountain tops and it's just breathtaking! The hike is a little strenuous, especially the second part up to south fork but it's totally worth it! I also didn't run into a single person on the entire hike.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Great trail! Bit steeper than what the app said. Also trail head was somewhat challenging to find but over all great hike! The lake was amazing once reached! I will do it again for sure!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

My husband and I did this hike! And our pooch Dillon :)) I am a big girl on my way to a more healthy life style and I totally rocked this! It was hard because all the way up to the lake is all uphill and it's challenging. But the prize!!! The beautiful lake and the amount of pride knowing that I did it was amazing! If you want a challenge and very beautiful scenery I would check this out :)

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My wife, dog and I did the hike to the lake in mid June. The trailhead was a little hard to find but if you go 12.1 miles from the bridge you will see the start of the trail. A nice uphill climb that crosses a creek is very tranquil. A beautiful hike.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

We backpacked in with our kids - ages 8 & 10 last summer. The elevation gain was challenging for them, but the distance was perfect. The lake is small, and beautiful. We plan to return.

Thursday, September 05, 2013

This is a really nice lake. A consistent up hill but never overly difficult trail takes you to the lake. The trail up to the top of South Fork Mt. is a bit less obvious, but as long as you're heading up you're going in the right direction. Incredible views at the top! The Forest Service has now restricted shooting on this road, so the problem of an incredibly high number of people shooting and leaving garbage has at least been reduced.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

really liked this hike, had a nice clear day and saw 4 mountain peaks....that too me makes it awesome!
over all it was an easy hike. the part up south fork mountain got my heat going. lots of shade till you hit the top....did I mention mountain views!

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Monday, May 13, 2013

The Memaloose Lake trail was relatively short and peaceful. We took our dog and infant with us for a Mother's Day hike and did not have any problems with the terrain; however, there was an enormous pine tree that fell onto one part of the trail which required some fancy maneuvering to get around. There was still some snow on the ground, but very little of it was on the trail itself. The lake was nice and we saw a ton of newts in and around the lake.

I can't say we'll ever come back here though because once we hit the Forest Road there were a number of people shooting shotguns and semi-automatic rifles at rock outcroppings at various points during the 11 mile drive up to the trail head, which judging by the number of spent shells on the ground (and other garbage) is a very common thing on this road. I don't have beef with guns, but it's a National Forest not a shooting range/ garbage dump.

The hike itself was easy and pleasant though, I'd recommend doing it at least once if you're around Estacada.

Monday, September 03, 2012

Very good hike. The morning I went the temperature was unusually cool and there were low clouds. There was some fog on the trail and the tree tops were hidden by the clouds. The trail was nicely maintained. I encountered only four or five people on the hike.

Upon arriving at the lake I found it to be hidden in fog. However, five minutes later the fog was gone and the sun was shining. In another ten minutes the fog had rolled back in over the lake.

I continued on to the top of South Fork Mountain. The major mountains were hidden by clouds, but the view was still spectacular.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Awesome awesome! Loved the mini waterfalls!

Sunday, October 02, 2011

Great hike through old growth forest. Lots of rough skinned newts in the lake.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

A good hike but the trail was not well maintained. The road to get to the trail was neglected with tons of potholes.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

This was a very peaceful hike with beautiful scenery....when to the top awesome views of the mountains on either side...worth the hike just for that...there is also the lake, with many salamanders to check out, fun...Great afternoon hike...It does state moderate which could be with some uphill climbing so beware if knees bad or other issues but otherwise I felt it was easy...

Saturday, July 23, 2011

I really enjoyed this hike. The view from the top of South Fork Mountain Trail on a clear day is awesome. Views of Mt Hood, Mt Jefferson and Mt St Helens.