McNeil Point Trail

McNeil Point Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The beginning of hike is through a beautiful forest setting and is quite relaxing. In some areas you are walking through close-in brush. At higher elevations you are above the treeline and it is quite steep/strenuous. Lunch stop at old rock shelter (McNeil Point) where one can see Mt. Ranier and Mt. Adams on a clear day. Quite worth it.

Hiked up to McNeil 11/1. Fun day, have always loved that hike.

Saw some snow, mostly high up. Did the steep climbers trail, gps track didn’t record the whole time for some reason or would have posted it. Was windy with maybe 50ft of visibility at the shelter. Be safe out there folks.

Went a couple days ago and it was my second time hiking the trail. There was some snow but the trail was even more beautiful than when I hiked it in mid summer! It's one of my favorite Mt. Hood trails and I never get tired of it. The viewpoint of Hood at the first major clearing out of the forest is my absolute favorite.

Hiked up to around 5800 feet. Too much snow on the first boulder field to cross safely (my opinion), short of McNeil Point by about .25 mi. Beautiful day. Trail was incredibly quiet and beautiful.

A must do hike in the Mt Hood area. Not only do you get a feel for the Oregon forests which you are in for a duration of the hike but you also spend a majority wandering above the tree line where you'll find streams, wildflowers, a wondrous vista of Hood but also of Rainier, St. Helens and Baker?. It is long, but it is very doable for all ages. Pack lots of water!

A few things that I wish I had known:
At the first trail split go right, and the second multi-trail split go left for the direct route to the shelter (Cairn Basin) or right for the Bald Mountain viewpoint, which connects somewhere that I never found and ended up all the way to the Muddy Fork River on the wrong trail.
Here's the second part to this story:
The trail on the left, the more direct route, is lovely and varied in landscape, and takes you to the shelter and trail to the ridge. That final mile blast up to the summit is a total ass kicker. Following the GPS map from previous hikers I continued on the loop trail which picked up just south of the shelter through the shrubs to a boulder/rock/gravel/sand scramble, which straight up sucked. I guess if you were going up that way it would be easier, but I never saw where that trail started when going via the long way. Had I realized what a bummer it would've been, especially alone I would've gone the long way back. I'm thankful I had poles, but I would certainly not opt to take it again.
But all in all it's a great hike!

Smokey with low visibility, still beautiful though and made for an awesome sunrise. Planning to return earlier in the season when it's not as dry.

I made it to the top in time to watch the sunrise this morning. Although there was low visibility on the horizon, the trail was beautiful and the surrounding landscape showed its massive scale quite brilliantly.

9/3/17- Tried to do this hike today and It's super smokey in the area. I wouldn't attempt it due to the lack of visibility and smoke inhalation. Disappointed but we'll be back!