Mary's Peak East Ridge Trail is a 6.1 mile loop trail located near Philomath, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,564 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Users have reported that the gate leading to the trailhead is currently closed until further notice. Hike the highest point in the Coast Range with wonderful views and old forest. This is a nice loop hike to the summit of Mary's Peak which provides some interesting views besides just taking the east ridge trail out and back from the summit. From the parking lot take the trail that parallels the road for about 100 yards and comes out where the paved, gravel, and East Ridge Trailhead sign meets. Take the trail which gives you great views of the forest as you climb a sustained gradual climb to the junction with the Tie Trail (there will be a bench there). Take the Tie Trail up to the North Ridge Trail. Proceed down the North Ridge Trail and come out at the Mary's Peak parking lot. This is the end of the hike, but you can take the 1.5 mile round trip to the summit.

Great trail. Bring some bug spray. Dogs did great! Nothing too strenuous. Great views today! Not crowded.

Our state opened up yesterday so I was expecting more people to be out. There were many at the summit parking lot, but we didn’t pass more than 12 on the way up and down. The view is pretty, but would have been much better on a clear day. The Cascades were mostly hidden behind cloud cover. We parked at Connors Camp and at the junction took the Tie Trail and on the way down took the East Ridge Trail. There were 3 downed trees on the way up (2 you had to crawl over, 1 under), but it was well maintained other than that. The way down was quite wet and a bit muddy in spots compared to Tie. Both trails were in really good condition. I would rate the hike moderate as it didn’t come close to hard, but I am in pretty good shape and exercise frequently.

Went mid morning and didn’t see a single person on the trail. A couple trees were down across the trail but they’re easy to go over. Technically it’s closed at the moment but if you’re willing to go around it the views at the top are breathtaking.

closed

Gate before trail head. Posted closed until further notice.

This was a great hike today and a great way to spend Mothers Day. There were alot of mosquito's and black beetle looking bugs. The weather was beautiful and not alot of people.

A beautiful hike. There's some trees that came down near the top of the hike and still some snow that you'll need to take a little slower. But the hike is amazing and worth the effort.

Will call it a moderate hike. Beautiful views from the top in a clear day. Mostly uphill all the way to the summit. It can be a little crowded since there is also a road goes upto .75 miles from the top. We didn't see too many people on the trail though. Few snow/ icy patches, would be nice to have the spikes handy. I will hike it again.

fee

icy

Nice trail. Definitely not hard and more of a moderate hike. It was overcast the day we hiked, but we still had good views. The trail appears to have had recent maintenance done to clear vegetation.

Fantastic trail. I highly recommend tacking the Summit Loop Trail on to this hike as well, the beautiful noble fir cloud forest is worth it. I’d classify this as moderate. June and July is when the wildflowers up here are at their peak.

Moderate trail. Perfect in early July.

Trail was everything I expected and the only downfall was that it was cloudy foggy and rainy and panorama view was not viewable. Overall the trail was worth hiking.

A very nice little day hike. I would not put this hike in the hard category, the incline is very gradual except for the last .5 mile to the summit. Moderate at best. The trail maps are a little confusing but we made it so it really doesn't matter.

Thu Apr 18 2019

Hike was gorgeous, it was a clear day. I was able to see from Diamond Peak to Mt. Hood...maybe Mt. Rainer...was not sure. There is a little snow on the last ~1.5 mile towards the top, hiking poles came in handy. can't wait to return!

Wed Apr 17 2019

Mon Apr 15 2019

Incredible! Was still very snowy/muddy at the top when I did it mid April . Try to do it on a sunny day if you can for the incredible views!

Mon Apr 15 2019

snow and water on the upper half of the trail, esp. the summit approach (as of 4/12). With a good pair of boots and some patience, this trail is a great time!

Sun Oct 21 2018

Day use fee $5 :) Pretty hike! Not particularly difficult - I was expecting a bit more of a challenge, but the view is nice and I love trekking through the woods.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Amazing view!

Tue Aug 14 2018

I would say that this is a moderate/difficult hike. There are some steep inclines, but a majority is a steady incline up which I would rate as a moderate hike. I would absolutely recommend this hike. Beautiful views and scenery up and down the trail.

Tue Jul 24 2018

Great hike! My first solo hike and I loved it all. Incline wasn’t too bad so I only took two breaks on way up (I’m moderately fit) and was doable in my hiking sandals. I wish the cage / power structure on the summit wasn’t there, would help the views / feel up there. But overall would recommend!