Maidu Lake Trail

Maidu Lake Trail is a 19.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Glide, Oregon that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is home to my first backpacking trip ever. We left Kelsay Valley Horse Camp around 4:30 pm (we were hiking in early August) and set up camp at Lucielle Lake, which is about 1 mile from Maidu Lake. We wanted to go the extra mile that night but we had completely ran out of daylight. The next day, we made it to Maidu Lake and spent a couple hours eating lunch, napping, and taking in the scenery. We tried a little fishing, to no avail. Maidu Lake is significant because it is the source of the North Umpqua River. This segment is the first portion of the North Umpqua Trail. The hike from the horse camp to Maidu Lake is primarily uphill. There is potential to be virtually eaten alive my mosquitos so bring ample amounts of repellent. I ran out of repellent while on the trip and brought home about 30 mosquito bites as a souvineer.