Lower & Upper Twin Lakes via PCT

Lower & Upper Twin Lakes via PCT is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 944 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A shorter hike through with scenic views of Mt. Hood, and two crystal clear lakes. Both lakes have availability for camping and light backpacking which can serve as a basecamp for other treks in the area. Snow can linger throughout June despite warmer weather but makes for great snowshoeing earlier in the year. Add an extra two miles to the trip my circling both lakes.

Stayed the night on September 5 and sixth, was disappointed when I got up there and there was trash ,shit tickets and clothing left around The lower Lake , and almost every fire pit had a number of trash in it or aluminum cans. I went up later in the year so maybe the bees were aggressive, me and my dog and my buddy got stung multiple times on the way up to the upper lake and on our way down. Other than that, beautiful pristine lakes, only recommend swimming in lower Lake for it is deep enough.Next time I visit these lakes it will be in early June before the vandals come and leave their trash behind

huge parking lot. found a spot on labor day. took the corgi to camp at upper lake and didn't have a problem finding a great spot with fire pit on the West side. nice lake to put feet in but not for fishing lol. Lower lake looka like a great spot to camp. close to trail head and plenty of open spots with pits and a trail along the perimeter with more dispersed spots. will have to try Lower Lake next time. although upper lake was great, Lower Lake is larger and prettier

Just did this trip weekend of 8/16-8/17. Nice easy backpacking trip to upper twin lake would be a good warm up for harder longer stuff. Arrived at upper lake around 2 on Saturday and snagged the last dispersed site around the lake. Swimming wasn't great at upper, pretty good at lower. No mosquitoes to speak of but watch out for the enterprising Canada Jays who were always looking for an excuse to steal unattended food. Parking a breeze in the gigantic lot but make sure you have your forest pass or $5/day for self registration.

This is an awesome hike. There was a lot of traffic but it wasn’t too bad. The lakes are beautiful and have cool trails around each that are worth doing. The trek to Palmateer Peak isn’t too bad, definitely worth it for the view at the end.

Overnighted here with my son on 8/9-8/10 and was a great intro to him with backpacking. Decent thunderstorms overnight added to the excitement and tested our waterproofing of the tents. The only downside was losing one of his minimalist shoes on the way out.

Not sure I’d call this “easy” or “flat” but I’m old lol. uphill until you turn. Missed the right turn to the lake so went another half mile uphill before figuring that out so that probably altered my view. But even pup was hot and tired. Had a nice refreshing swim after so it was totally worth it. Just warning those with mobility issues (arthritis) like I do.

We backpacked in and stayed at upper lake. We arrived Saturday morning and was surprised to find plenty of open camp sites. Visited lower lake for a swim and enjoyed the rope swing!

Nice easy hike or trial run. Lot's of traffic but respectful and the trail is wide. Dog loved it.

Great trail for first time backpacking

This is a great location for someone to start off backpacking. Gentle rolling hills and the lakes are beautiful, just be ready for crowds.

great hike very few people

My wife and I just did a two-night stay at upper Twin Lake. The trail was almost entirely clear of any snow and the lake was beautiful and slightly warm. There was another couple of Campers at Lower Lake but we were the only ones at the Upper Lake and it was extremely peaceful with lots of birds and frogs. If you dont mind climbing uphill for another half mile you can sneak an awesome view of Mount Hood on top of Palmateer Point.

A nice mellow hike with minimal elevation gain. Lots of snow and ice on the trail, but packed down enough that we didn’t need snowshoes or micro spikes. Very peaceful and didn’t see anyone else on the trail. Lakes are still frozen over. Look forward to checking it out when snow melts . No great views minus the two lakes but if you go early you will find solitude.

Nice hike in the 6.5 mile range. We made it to the second lake and caught a glimpse of Mt. Hood between the passing clouds. The snowshoe adventure was nice but nothing spectacular. Their wasn’t as many people as we expected for a Saturday. Glad we did the hike but we think this is a solid 3+ hike.

Beautiful trail! Went on a Saturday and the parking lot was close to fully The trail was pretty packed down, great for snowshoeing and cross country skiing. Lots of traffic and off-leash dogs, would recommend coming on a weekday if you’re searching for a little more solitude.

First time snowshoeing. First time on this trail. A nice starter with beautiful scenery and light traffic. I couldn't ask for more.

Easy enough trail in mostly dense forest, with pretty views of the lake. We went on the weekend and were surprised by the light traffic on the trail. Snow was minimal and a bit icy, so we didn’t need snowshoes until our tromp around the lake itself. We just hiked to the lower lake, around and back for a total of 5.8mi.

Went mid-week and only ran into one other person. Lovely hike to the lakes. Leave time to have lunch at the frozen lakes before heading back. Trail is well marked.

Pretty hike. Walked up to Lower Twin on a very packed trail so there was really no need for snowshoes until we walked around the lake which no one had been on since it had snowed. Then walked up to Upper Twin and toward Barlow pass and I was glad I had snowshoes for that part.

Stayed here for a one night stay in early fall and had the lakes to myself! Beautiful colors and easy hiking in and out made for a wonderful trip. The camp spots are great!

Sunday, September 09, 2018

family friendly. great hike.

Sunday, August 26, 2018

took a day trip out to twin lake trail . trail had moderate traffic . the trail was very dusty but no bugs on this trail like the others I had done . the lower lake had some campers and was fairly crowded. there was a rope swing kids were swinging into the lake with . took my 7 year old she did pretty well till the end . overall I'd do this trail again and do the loop instead.

Monday, August 20, 2018

This is one of my favourites. Summer it’s beautiful and winter it’s one of the nicest snow shoe hikes. Not busy at all today. The pups got some water time in the lower twin. A few bees here and there. Happy to be back

Thursday, August 09, 2018

Fun little hike. Pretty. First lake was crowded but the second lake was much more mellow. Few people but it was nice. Plus you can see the mountain in the distance.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

We started at the big parking lot and headed towards the lower lake. Beautiful lake hike super easy. No bugs at all. Returned on the Butte trail to Frog Lake campground then back to the car. 8 miles

Friday, July 27, 2018

Beautiful lakes, great trail, perfect for dogs.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Good easy hike to the lower lake. Great view of Mt. Hood if you hike to Frog Lake Butte about 2 miles from the lower lake.

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Just over 2 miles to the lake. Gradual climb up and well maintained wide trail.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Beautiful hike! Going to come back for an over night trip this summer. Just bring your bug spray, mosquitos are out in force!!

Sunday, June 24, 2018