Lower & Upper Twin Lakes via PCT

Lower & Upper Twin Lakes via PCT is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A shorter hike through with scenic views of Mt. Hood, and two crystal clear lakes. Both lakes have availability for camping and light backpacking which can serve as a basecamp for other treks in the area. Snow can linger throughout June despite warmer weather but makes for great snowshoeing earlier in the year. Add an extra two miles to the trip my circling both lakes.

Spent Labor Day weekend hiking the trails around both twin lakes. The lakes were beautiful and relatively quiet given the holiday weekend. It's a great short hike for kids to the lower lake but the upper lake was a lot less traveled. A quick retreat from Portland and the Palmateer Point lookout had a nice view of hood. Will definitely be coming back for camping and swimming.

Wonderful hike! This may be my new favorite. We hiked at 10 am on a Saturday in July.

Parking is plentiful at the trailhead (shared with Frog Lake) and there are toilets. Pay $5 for the day pass - we got ours at the Zig Zag Ranger Station.

The trail is shaded by trees and ascends then descends down to the lake. We saw lots of families, dogs off leash and even horses. The lower lake is beautiful! There are lots of areas for camping. The lake is clear and not too cold. There were a lot of butterflies! It was a peaceful place to have lunch and swim.

We had our baby and toddler with us so we weren't able to do the upper lake this time, but I'll be back.

Note: we got back to the parking lot at 1:30pm and it was full with people backpacking into the lower lake. So if you plan on backpacking I would recommend going Friday or early Sat morning to get a good spot.

Good trail with easy ascent through the forrest. Good camping and swimming at lower lake but no view of Mt. Hood. Upper lake is a short gentle ascent from lower lake. Camping not as good but has decent view of Mt Hood. If your after photos of Hood reflecting off a lake this isn't a great locale but will suffice. Good trail trail for kids and locals camp here on weekend so arrive early Friday to get a pick of camping spots

As a kid we used to do this trail yearly for a weekend backpacking with dad. After retracing my steps through the area recently I realized it wasn't quite the trek I thought. But I was happy to see other kids camping on the lower lake in the same site I used to. Despite the snow we had it was still warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt.