Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lower Macleay Park to Pittock Mansion

Lower Macleay Park to Pittock Mansion is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Portland, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Follow this trail to Pittock Mansion for a panoramic view of Portland. You will have great views of Portland and will also have a great opportunity for bird watching. Take the time to explore the grounds. The building is overseen by the Bureau of Parks and Recreation and it is open for touring.

A very nice hike for a walk through the woods to a view. A bit muddy in spots and busy but lovely with lots of bird noises and gorgeous views of the city. The first part of the trail is next to a creek which we loved.

I love hiking alone with my dog (going to the Wallowas or Tillamook forest) and found myself on this hike with some friends. I wasn't too optimistic due to the number of people and parking situation. I went on a weekday though (that one 70 degree day in March), and had zero difficulty finding a parking spot! Yes there were other people, but not that many! Think a small group every 5 minutes or so... I was pleasantly surprised!

We wound up only doing the upper portion south of Cornell road. Be careful! The trail was dangerously muddy and slick today. We hiked up it and did okay despite the boot-wrecking mud, but on the way down two people in our party slipped and fell less than a minute in and since we were carrying babies on our backs, we decided to abandon plans and one person hiked down to get the car while the rest of us waited at the mansion. It did snow two days ago so be mindful of what the weather has been recently. Other than that... the trail is quite busy. Lots of folks. Lots of dogs. And follows the road for a long while. But the views at the top are unbeatable especially on a clear day. And the trail closer to the mansion has beautiful pristine forest that was breathtaking in the diffused sunlight. Parking was kinda crazy... and this was the off season; yikes. So, all in all, a hike I will do again mainly because of the "destination" at the top, but will certainly shoot to park somewhere else and go when I know the trail conditions are safer.

Great trail for a short hike! well maintained and even in the ice and slush still enjoyable! I did take upper Maclaey on the way back down from Pittock Mansion just for a change in scenery. Saw a cute little bunny and of course lots of birds and chipmunks as expected!

This trial looks awesome. Hope to hike it one day.

The trail was just what i wanted. Incline & such beautiful scenery. I definitely would do it again & try other trails that attach to it. It is a 5 mile hike total. My phone died while recording, so it didn’t track my actual distance. There was a bit of people on the trail, but next time I will just go a little earlier to beat the crowds. People were polite & moved over. Worth it!! Beautiful viewpoint!!

Definitely go into this with the right mindset. Mostly uphill on the way out which luckily means downhill on the way back. Proper shoes are a must! Anyone who is out of shape (aka me) is gonna have a bit of a rough time on the way up

Hiked halfway. Very heavy traffic. Didn’t make it to the mansion but will be back to do a different trail that leads there. Would be great for a family with small children. More of a nature walk than hike.

Hiked this with a friend and two dogs. Beautiful hike. Some of it next to a stream. Completed the entire hike in just under 2 hours. 5.5 miles total. Slightly muddy in places after raining this past week, but not terrible.

great trip

not bad on the day I went. A little crowded but not terrible, great view at the Mansion.

Great hike and great view!

nice trails. very well maintained

The hike is moderate and very busy. Expect lots of people on trail during the summer months. Scenery is pretty, with a stream going through parts of it, and the witch's house is along the way. Pittock mansion and the view from its garden is beautiful. Definitely worth seeing.

Hiked on Nov 8. Bathrooms at TH, no parking fee, parked on Thurman and walked down stairs next to the bridge. First section of the trail is beautiful, serene, canopied forest that wanders next to Baluch Creek. Continue straight at Stone House...trail has a few turns where it’s best to check your navigation because it is not well-marked up to Pittock Mansion. After you cross CORNELL Rd, you will hear traffic the rest of the way. Slight ascend, dense forest, and beautiful scenic views of P-town are your reward.

Great hike. There’s a bit of an incline at certain points but otherwise it’s manageable. At the top is an old mansion with some great views of the City.

It’s a good day hike. A good hike to do with friends as an alternative to a coffee date to catch up on life. It took me a couple hours to do and it’s nice because there are bathrooms at the top

Have been going here since the 60s.
wasn't so crowded then.
funny they named the old bathrooms the Witches Castle.
Still, love this trail when not crowded.

nice trail but is not mountain biking friendly

Took our 7 & 4 years olds all the way to the mansion. Great hike and lots of spots for the kids to explore along the way as well as some “rest/snack” spots. My husband pushed our BOB stroller with a kiddo in it, it wasn’t easy but doable with an “off-road” stroller, if you’re in shape.

Sad how many dog poop bags are along the side of the trail, I don’t understand that ignorance. Leashed dogs are allowed, and all but a few folks complied with the leash rule.

Overall a great spot & nice trail.

i gave it a 3 but i think it should be more of a 3.5. For being so close in the city it is really nice. it is pretty busy on a September Saturday (not unexpected) I had to park a quarter mile from the trailhead. As there is space for only about 25cars in the lower area where you can park. The lower area is pretty through Mccleary park. This area follows a stream and had nice water features. There was however plenty of trash and it really bothered my daughter. Also as there were plenty of dogs someone couldnt be bothered to bring their crap out. I agree with the assements about the first 1.5 miles up being easy and the next 1mile being moderate.

Great trail, the map can be a bit confusing at times, but it the trails are all maintained, and the views are fantastic.

Well maintained trail in the heart of PDX. I prefer early as the trail is open at 5 AM. Nice and quiet then.

Great hike in the city.

Love this trail, perfect hiking place for a hot day.

Enjoyed this hike. Peaceful and beautiful

Nicely maintained trail. Beautiful view at the top.

Really great for a city trail. Good for trail running.

Good city hike. Wanted to stay close to city and get a good hike in, and this did the trick! The views from Pitock Mansion were great as well!