Lowder Mountain Trail

Lowder Mountain Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Blue River, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a nice hike through forests and meadows up to a summit with views of the Cascades. From the cliffs you can look down to some mountain lakes, as well as amazing views of the cascades from the Sisters to Mt. Washington, Jefferson, and Hood.

11/19/17. There's road construction on the South Fork McKenzie River bridge that has closed the road. Unless you want to drive all the way around the lake you will have to wait till the end of November, at least, before the road reopens.

The trail to the top of Lowder is fairly easy to follow and had great views, but beware if you are trying to take either of the two trails heading west. Trail 3329 heading toward Yankee Mountain is incorrectly labeled as Walker Creek and is not maintained. With it's southern exposure, it is extremely overgrown and difficult to follow - more frustrating than fun. I never could find the real Walker Creek Trail (3330). I tried looking for it on my way up and back to the top of Lowder but never found any sign of it. I think the USFS has decided to just let these two trails fade away.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Saturday, July 25, 2015

I did not know what to expect with this mountain. I was looking for a lower elevation, longer distance hike. I was extremely satisfied with this one. It took me about 2 1/2 hours total - with a nice 20 minute rest on the summit cliffs. I had the trail to myself. The trail winds through meadows of vine maple and blackberry, with amazing old growth strewn within the forest (look around for it!). It's a little overgrown at times, but I found this to be a fun and rugged trail. The trail comes to a fork at about the 2 mile point. Bear right here up to Lowder Mountain (.8). Walker creek continues to the left. The trail then switchbacks up to an open meadow, mostly dirt. The cairns were very helpful from here. The trail then traces a second meadow, finally reaching a cliff-side vista. I could see the Sisters, Broken top, Diamond peak, Mt. Washington, Mt Bachelor, and Mt. Hood. This would be an incredible place to camp. I will certainly return.