Lookout Mountain Trail is a 11.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mitchell, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,713 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We hike this quite often. Absolutely love this trail, although it's becoming much more populated in recent years. The wild flowers are in full bloom and are gorgeous. Mileage on trail signs are all shy of true distances.

Wildflowers are in full bloom! Got to see so many colors! We also got see wild horses while hiking, which was a complete surprise. Overall a really nice hike, steady up most of the way. Not many views and there is really no satisfaction of reaching the “top of the mountain”. I’d love to explore the mt from the other side. Great workout :)

Be aware that this trail is extremely muddy. The hike is extremely difficult. But I’m truly proud of myself that I did it. The views are truly magical and it blows my mind how about every 1-1.5 miles the scenery changes very drastically. This hike altogether is 13.2 miles. The last 1.5 miles are the hardest. But the views are definitely with it

Too early for peak flowers, but lots of early ones out and they deserve their mention. Irises are everywhere just short of midway but not yet blooming. A few patches of snow all the way to the saddle, but nothing unmanageable until at the saddle. Then the trail disappears under continuous snowpack multiple feet deep. I turned left and up to the same point on the ridge as the trail track shows. This isn't the top of Lookout Mt, but is the end of the top ridge. I sat to enjoy a sandwich and take some photos. Didn't even get the sandwich out when I saw a tick on my leg. Stood up, knocked it off, and saw two more. Walked over to one of the large sections of snow nearby to get to safe ground. Stripped and did as good a job as I could to make sure none in the clothes. Found one more. Time on top was spoiled so headed down. About 30 later felt something on my hip. Dropped and checked my drawers and found a fifth one. Really nice hike. I'd do it again. No higher praise than that. However it'd be long pants sprayed with boatloads of repellent. I'm not a fan of deet, but less of a fan of ticks. Don't think I've ever seen a higher density than the top of that ridge.

Beautiful views. its not a easy climb

I would call this hike more moderate than hard. I did this one early yesterday morning 7/10/18. I did an 8.6 mile loop trail. There are beautiful wildflowers. The trail is good for bikers, hikers, dogs on leash and horses. There is a snow shelter close to the top stocked with plenty of water. The views yesterday were hazy but on a clear day you could get some great shots of three sisters, Jefferson and some other mountains. I didn't see any wild horses on my hike, but they are out there. I did motherload mine trail (which was more steep than the descent on independent mine trail. I made a big loop trail out of this. Motherload mine trail to lookout mountain trail to independent mine trail. I was looking for the mining town, but didn't find it till I ended the trail on the road. baneberry trail will take you to the independent mine, the trail is very overgrown and wet. there were also lot of mosquitoes out when I went so put your bug spray on before you hit the trail, If you are like me and the squeeters love you.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Still a little treacherous on the top of the trail. Should be snow free in a couple of weeks

Thursday, June 28, 2018