Lookout Mountain Trail

Lookout Mountain Trail is a 11.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Post, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

I would call this hike more moderate than hard. I did this one early yesterday morning 7/10/18. I did an 8.6 mile loop trail. There are beautiful wildflowers. The trail is good for bikers, hikers, dogs on leash and horses. There is a snow shelter close to the top stocked with plenty of water. The views yesterday were hazy but on a clear day you could get some great shots of three sisters, Jefferson and some other mountains. I didn't see any wild horses on my hike, but they are out there. I did motherload mine trail (which was more steep than the descent on independent mine trail. I made a big loop trail out of this. Motherload mine trail to lookout mountain trail to independent mine trail. I was looking for the mining town, but didn't find it till I ended the trail on the road. baneberry trail will take you to the independent mine, the trail is very overgrown and wet. there were also lot of mosquitoes out when I went so put your bug spray on before you hit the trail, If you are like me and the squeeters love you.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Still a little treacherous on the top of the trail. Should be snow free in a couple of weeks

Saturday, August 05, 2017