Lookout Mountain Trail

Lookout Mountain Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Hood, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from : Trailhead is adjacent to Ochoco Ranger Station.

One of the most amazing hikes I have done since moving here. There was still some snow on the trails but it was no problem getting over it. I took the High Prairie Loop Trail number 493 to get there, which is beautiful as well. The view from Lookout is amazing, the mountains are incredible. I would recommend taking the loop back, for some more great views.

This is trail is almost completely obscured by SNOW> at times I had snow above me knee. SNOWSHOES a must until a proper melt. Sunny,windy about mid 50's.
There is no way to determine the route as I traveled about 1 mile up and could not continue because I didn't want to land up on any of the West drop offs. No trail clear markings from TH. All the open meadows make it difficult to know where the trail is or was. Even if I had brought my snowshoes or crampons- It would be too precarious as I was following elk and deer prints in the drifts. In addition there was someone about 1/2 mile away (estimation) firing a long rifle large caliber weapon- he unloaded at least 20+ shots( saw the hunter on the way down). Great views from the road in. This trail is usually awesome, but it is too early for hiking- 4000 ft snow level abides as of May 26th,. ugh.

One of the best views I’ve seen by far. Simply breathtaking. Still a lot of snow but the hike is doable with spikes or crampons. Had to park about a mile from the high prairie trailhead because there was too much snow and didn’t want to chance it - but it added to the hike which allowed for a greater reward up top.

Although it is still completely covered in snow me and my husband still had a fun time hiking to top. Probably was not on the designated trail.

I propose to my girlfriend (now wife) on this trail! Spectacular view!

Easy hike with a great payoff. 360 view with 5 mountains! Near the end of the drive up there the navigation told me to go down a road that wasn't there, but I kept going up the road I was on and it connected to the trailhead. Road is gravel but easily accessible by a civic

This is a great hike for people that don't normally hike. Go on a clear day and the view will amaze you. I didn't see any water sources near the top so bring plenty of water especially for you pooches.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Awesome views

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Loved it! Great view at Mt. Hood and the surroundings.

Thursday, March 10, 2016