Lewis and Clark Discovery Trail

Lewis and Clark Discovery Trail is a 12.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Seaside, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Take in the beauty of Tillamook Head and follow a famous trail used by the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Part of the Oregon Coast Trail. The Lewis and Clark Discovery Trail goes from Seaside to Indian Beach or vice versa. The southern 1.4 miles of this trail include/overlap half of the Clatsop Loop Trail and you'll have to hike this as it's part of the trail too. You can continue south 1.5 miles from Indian Beach on the Indian Beach Trail to another parking area.

My oldest daughter and I hiked a portion of this trail starting from the Sunset Blvd trailhead entrance. It was a clear beautiful sunny day. If the trail wasn't soggy and extremely muddy in places it would be a very pleasant hike. Even though it was a clear day, the wind was blowing strong as we scaled the first elevation gain. It was bit chilly on top. Overall the hike was easy to moderate in its elevation gain. It would have been a great workout if we went to the end of the trail and exited at Ecola State Park. But we were limited on time and turn around about halfway on the trail.

Hopefully we'll find another warm clear day to take on this hike. If the trail was dry and the wind was less, I may have rated it 4 stars

Hiked this trail from Seaside to Indian Beach two days ago and it was mucky mess! We were literally walking through a cloud the entire time. I can imagine the views are amazing on a clear day, but if this trail isn't dry in August, I don't know when it would be. Be prepared to get wet, wear shoes with great traction that can get really muddy and know that there are spots where the trail has washed out. Overall though, it was a fun one time experience that would have been great if the trail were remotely dry.

Hike was still muddy two weeks ago. Lot of fallen trees on hiking path. Had to crawl under and/or climb over fallen trees. At about the two mile mark from trailhead the trail is washed out. Not the greatest of hikes right now. But, the views are awesome.

Did this on a rainy day. It's really muddy out there right now but still doable. Very pretty hike with the added bonus of hiking the trail Lewis and Clark took to find a beached whale. Not too difficult. Just right for a rainy day.

Muddy! Beautiful.

oh wow beautiful hike!

ok, this was round 2 for us. great hike on a sunny day, trail was mostly dry. we went from seaside trail head all the way through to cannon beach. about 5 to 6 hrs. had the kids with us, 6 and 8 yrs old, what troopers! alot of up and down, but worth the trip.

It took me 4 tries to get this one done, mostly starting too late to finish before dark. It's a nice hike, sheltered in the woods a bit, but there are plenty of places to peek over the cliffs and see the ocean. Muddy, but you can go around it easily enough. Probably crowded on the south end in the summer, but a on a chilly winter Saturday, we only saw a few people.

I hate this trail with my husband and my two kids aged 4 & 7. The first few miles to the campsite was super muddy very slippery but manageable she took a short shortcuts. The legend says its 6.2 miles to Cannon Beach but it's actually 6.2 miles to a cola park another mile and a quarter to Crescent Beach and then another mile to Cannon Beach. So definitely a considerable hike for all of us., I saw some people on flip flops I just have to say what the hell are you thinking. Where some good hiking shoes there's a lot of up and down some great views if you get it on a clear day but definitely worth the trip. Pack a lunch and expect to be in Cannon Beach few hours later.

My wife and I hiked from ecola state park to seaside and took a cab back. First part of the trail, before Indian beach was best. We enjoyed the hikers camp too. Unfortunately the trail from hikers camp to seaside was too muddy.

All in all a good hike. Loved the cool ocean breezes.